• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

What/when was your first Border War?

MrTitleist

Administrator
Staff member
Mine was 1993. Sheep killed us at home. I tried to get Joe Hughes' autograph after the game, but didn't. Instead I got Ryan Yarborough's. Boo-ya! :) I think I still have the baseball cap at my parents place that he autographed. I still have the ticket stub, they were fancy tickets that year, plus this bad ass commemorative coin, which I also still have.

MrTitleist said:
Mine was 1993. Sheep killed us at home. I tried to get Joe Hughes' autograph after the game, but didn't. Instead I got Ryan Yarborough's. Boo-ya! :) I think I still have the baseball cap at my parents place that he autographed. I still have the ticket stub, they were fancy tickets that year, plus this bad ass commemorative coin, which I also still have.

October 10, 1955. I was 21 months old. Don't remember going to the game, but my mother said she brought me along for my very first college football game. It must have made a big impression because I've always hated the ewes as long as I can remember. Especially since the Pokes lost that day 14-13. Grrrrrr.... :x

Gawd, I've hated the ewes for 55 years now. Yikes!

Probably in the 70's...who knows. There are some great stories, and very memorable events out there though! Anyone remember Sark parading the Lammies through the stands prior to kickoff at Hughes one year? Or the pre-game fights that happened something like 8 years in a row? Tear-gas years? And many...many...more.

Mine was a road game and I had only begun to get into Cowboy football. What stand out from that day?

My buddy giving me a heart attack on the way to Ft Collins as he passed 12 cars in a row without changing lanes just beyond the Wyo border.

Being mildly surprised they served beer at the game (back when liberty and independence meant something).

The Pokes lost, but I was fairly impressed by the CSewe QB, Kelly Stouffer. At one point I attended 9 consecutive Wyo/CSU games. My personal best.

One of the best games? When Marcus Harris schooled them with about 15 receptions.

Do you really want to know? Well since I have lived on the east coast most of my life I will admit this will be my first.

PokePride.com said:
Do you really want to know? Well since I have lived on the east coast most of my life I will admit this will be my first.

Poppin' your cherry. With a really really fat girl. :lol:

One of my best memories was taking it back after several years in 2003. The game ended in a classic late-game Wyoming snowstorm , and CSU's superstar QB Bradlee VanPelt couldn't deny the Pokes, against all odds. A great game.
Some might remember that was also the last year we beat BYU---forever, as it turns out. Glad we got 'em when we did.

i dont remember the year but we wore all brown jerseys and shut the rams out... Sween was playing and he threw a TD to Levy and Joseph Harris played great

gopokes1399 said:
i dont remember the year but we wore all brown jerseys and shut the rams out... Sween was playing and he threw a TD to Levy and Joseph Harris played great

'06 I flew back for that game, if I remember correct it was colder than shit

MrTitleist said:

In 1988 the battle for the Bronze Boot, Wyoming beat Colorado State by a score of 48-14. During this amazing season we went 11-2 our second loss being blown out in the 88 Holiday Bowl. Not only way this my first Border War it was the first year I was able to attend every Wyoming game times were different back then sure do miss it!

1 Sept. 1 Brigham Young Win 24 14 1-0
2 Sept. 8 @ Louisville Win 44 9 2-0
3 Sept. 17 Louisiana Tech Win 38 6 3-0
4 Sept. 24 @ Air Force Win 48 45 4-0
5 Oct. 1 California State Fullerton Win 35 16 5-0
6 Oct. 8 @ San Diego State Win 55 27 6-0
7 Oct. 15 New Mexico Win 55 7 7-0
8 Oct. 22 Utah Win 61 18 8-0
9 Oct. 29 @ Colorado State Win 48 14 9-0
10 Nov. 5 Texas El-Paso Win 51 6 10-0
11 Nov. 12 Houston Loss 10 34 10-1
12 Nov. 19 @ Hawaii Win 28 22 11-1

Blowing out Utah was my most memorable game period but beating Utah and BYU in the same Season man I would love to live that moment again.

gopokes1399 said:

I forgot to mention that shut out---first time we'd done that to CSU since 1959 --47 years.
Glenn had some great wins. A few tough years, yes, but not a meltdown by any stretch, particularly when you think of where the program was---facilities, players, scholarships, and apathy---when he came to town. The wheels had come off of Poke football. His tangible contributions here were many and huge, and I'll never feel good about the way he was denigrated , and the people (i.e. Burman) who knew what he'd done for us allowed the s**t to fly. A firing with an ass-kicking chaser. The man deserved better.

That comes from an old guy who's seen a lot, but there you have it. We'll see where the future takes us.

PokePride.com said:

Yes I am quoting myself... it may have been my first but damn to see that final score it was well worth the wait, GO POKES!!!

PokePride.com said:

you, sir, are hereby required to attend ALL boot games from here out :lol:

Latest posts

Back