• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

WAC is getting really desperate

Wyokie

Staff member
Launching of WAC Sports Network starting on September 18, 2010.

http://www.wacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10100&ATCLID=204983813

Serouisly doubt this will get Nevada and Fresno to change their minds and stay in that crappy conference.

I wonder if Hawaii has the people to help them go independent. Earlier today I heard June Jones on a Dallas radio show (1310 The Ticket) and he said that he told Hawaii years ago that independence would work well for them.
So with the WAC shrinking maybe Hawaii should become proactive for independence and make it happen. Supposedly ESPN would have interest in the late game broadcast (late for the Continental USA that is).

I don't want North Texas or Texas-San Antonio to be invited to the WAC in the future.

Alysa said:
I wonder if Hawaii has the people to help them go independent. Earlier today I heard June Jones on a Dallas radio show (1310 The Ticket) and he said that he told Hawaii years ago that independence would work well for them.
So with the WAC shrinking maybe Hawaii should become proactive for independence and make it happen. Supposedly ESPN would have interest in the late game broadcast (late for the Continental USA that is).

I post on Sport Hawaii a lot and the guys there are thinking going Indepedent in football and going to the Big West for all other sports is their best hope should the WAC finally go belly up which I really think it'll happen in 1-2 years.

The WAC will be fine.. they'll raid FCS of some solid teams (Montana, UC Davis, Texas St, UT-SA, Montana State) and everything will be okay.

MrTitleist said:
The WAC will be fine.. they'll raid FCS of some solid teams (Montana, UC Davis, Texas St, UT-SA, Montana State) and everything will be okay.

Y'all had better read this article. One of the guys on Sports Hawaii posted it. It does concern Wyoming.

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009869/USU-Aggies-Y-to-WAC-deal-not-dead-yet.html

MrTitleist said:

No Mr T. You gotta leave Texas State outta that too.

Texas St is making its plans very open for everyone to notice.. they want to move up.. Sun Belt, CUSA, WAC.. anyone that'll take 'em. UTSA is already scheduling games w/ Pac10 schools.. seems like they're fast tracking themselves to FBS.

Wyokie said:
MrTitleist said:

Y'all had better read this article. One of the guys on Sports Hawaii posted it. It does concern Wyoming.

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009869/USU-Aggies-Y-to-WAC-deal-not-dead-yet.html

Speculation at best. MWC presidents are PISSED at BYU.. why would they want to break off and form a conference with them? More Coogs thinking they're better than they actually are.

In the words of Matt Foley, motivational speaker, "I don't think you're using your paper for writin', you're using your paper for rollin DUBIES!!!"

Now writers are just making sh!t up. No way in a gazillion years would a rational team without dilusions of granduer leave the MWC for the WAC. I know provostanians think they are all that and a box of chocolates, but even they've gone off the deep end with this one.

A friend of mine in Hawaii says that independence will not really work for them. Manoa is in meltdown right now. They know that if they go independent, nobody would want to play them, and they will probably have to do seven road games a year, and then their football program will go down hill. Independence can only work if they get some solid contracts with teams for home-and-away deals.

MrTitleist said:
Wyokie said:
MrTitleist said:

Speculation at best. MWC presidents are PISSED at BYU.. why would they want to break off and form a conference with them? More Coogs thinking they're better than they actually are.

Kinda thought so but you never know. Kinda figured it was a bunch of BS when it has a USU logo as a header.

Oh, btw, I really believe Hawaii will go the independent route within 2 years to save their own skin. Plus should Houston join the MWC, La. Tech will head over to C-USA.

I don't think the WAC will survive this at all.

BuckeyesNYC said:
A friend of mine in Hawaii says that independence will not really work for them. Manoa is in meltdown right now. They know that if they go independent, nobody would want to play them, and they will probably have to do seven road games a year, and then their football program will go down hill. Independence can only work if they get some solid contracts with teams for home-and-away deals.

Does your friend post on Sports Hawaii? Not questioning your friend....just curious.

Wyokie said:
BuckeyesNYC said:

Does your friend post on Sports Hawaii? Not questioning your friend....just curious.

I have no idea. He posts at Huskerboard.com, a Nebraska fan website.

MrTitleist said:
Texas St is making its plans very open for everyone to notice.. they want to move up.. Sun Belt, CUSA, WAC.. anyone that'll take 'em. UTSA is already scheduling games w/ Pac10 schools.. seems like they're fast tracking themselves to FBS.

Texas State hasn't done that well in the Southland Conference (FCS)! Stephen F. Austin has the best overall athletic program in that conference and they certainly aren't trying to move up. Financial payoffs will not be coming to these schools. As a matter of fact the lower tier of schools (FBS schools ranked 75 through 120) should be playing in the FSC division of college football. They are draining their resources for their overall athletic budget by trying to compete in the top division (FBS) of college football. A whopping 52 of the 120 schools lose money on football. :twocents:

Success doesn't have anything to do with ambitions to move up.. if that was the case, Montana, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Delaware would have already made the move upwards. Plus UTSA and South Alabama are pretty much skipping FCS altogether and trying to dive head first into FBS. Texas State, I believe, is renovating their stadium to seat 30,000.. if I remember correctly. I saw the design plans not that long ago, looked impressive. SFA, may have good athletic programs, but their facilities are terrible.

TX State: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/team-stadiums-directory/southland-conference/texas-state-bobcats-bobcat-stadium/
SFA: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/team-stadiums-directory/southland-conference/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-homer-bryce-stadium/

You make a good point about a number of teams in FBS losing money, it happens. Moving to FCS would make them lose even more money. Take Wyoming for example (I don't know if they're losing money or not), but their TV payout for The MTN is a decent figure.. $1million maybe? Plus they have revenue sharing from BCS games, plus they get a portion of money if a MWC member makes a bowl game (I could be wrong here). So say Wyoming gets money from those sources.. then they move to FCS.. those sources disappear. All they would save is two sports plus 20 football scholarships in money. They would still have to find a conference (Big Sky, let's say).. travel expenses are still expensive, no TV contract, and I would find it highly likely that booster support would fall flat on its face. The second a team like UW had to go play at Nottingham Field in Greeley or the dome in Pocatello, fan support as well as booster support would tank.. which means less ticket sales, etc. Montana has its own TV deal... it pays exactly $65,000. Much less than The MTN.

Basically, what I'm getting at is.. despite FBS teams losing money, it's still A LOT more viable than being in FCS where teams are dropping their programs (Hofstra, Northeastern), reducing scholarships (Rhode Island), or contemplating dropping football (Northern Arizona, Eastern WA).

Clear as mud, right? :)

MrTitleist said:
Success doesn't have anything to do with ambitions to move up.. if that was the case, Montana, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Delaware would have already made the move upwards. Plus UTSA and South Alabama are pretty much skipping FCS altogether and trying to dive head first into FBS. Texas State, I believe, is renovating their stadium to seat 30,000.. if I remember correctly. I saw the design plans not that long ago, looked impressive. SFA, may have good athletic programs, but their facilities are terrible.

TX State: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/team-stadiums-directory/southland-conference/texas-state-bobcats-bobcat-stadium/
SFA: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/team-stadiums-directory/southland-conference/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-homer-bryce-stadium/

You make a good point about a number of teams in FBS losing money, it happens. Moving to FCS would make them lose even more money. Take Wyoming for example (I don't know if they're losing money or not), but their TV payout for The MTN is a decent figure.. $1million maybe? Plus they have revenue sharing from BCS games, plus they get a portion of money if a MWC member makes a bowl game (I could be wrong here). So say Wyoming gets money from those sources.. then they move to FCS.. those sources disappear. All they would save is two sports plus 20 football scholarships in money. They would still have to find a conference (Big Sky, let's say).. travel expenses are still expensive, no TV contract, and I would find it highly likely that booster support would fall flat on its face. The second a team like UW had to go play at Nottingham Field in Greeley or the dome in Pocatello, fan support as well as booster support would tank.. which means less ticket sales, etc. Montana has its own TV deal... it pays exactly $65,000. Much less than The MTN.

Basically, what I'm getting at is.. despite FBS teams losing money, it's still A LOT more viable than being in FCS where teams are dropping their programs (Hofstra, Northeastern), reducing scholarships (Rhode Island), or contemplating dropping football (Northern Arizona, Eastern WA).

Clear as mud, right? :)

Unless it is a BCS bowl we really don't see very much money from other teams going to a bowl game. All the expenses are taken off the top and then the money is divided up. Take BYU for example they pay for all the expenses for the team, the band, the administrators, and and all the wives. A lot of BYU players get marred just before bowl games so the Bowl game is a honeymoon. Or any other state schools takes the band, and administrators and the governor and probably various legislators.

Landiegopoke said:
A lot of BYU players get marred just before bowl games so the Bowl game is a honeymoon. Or any other state schools takes the band, and administrators and the governor and probably various legislators.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MrTitleist said:
Landiegopoke said:
A lot of BYU players get marred just before bowl games so the Bowl game is a honeymoon. Or any other state schools takes the band, and administrators and the governor and probably various legislators.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm being serious on this one, I seen it on a Utah tv back when Lavel was coach, they interviewed some of the players and their fiances about it. Then they interviewed Lavel about it and he said that they were cheap. :mrgreen:

Wyokie said:
MrTitleist said:

The way I read the Magnus quotes about BYU fitting into ESPNs schedule is: "Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays".

Call me provincial but...I never want to go back to that format. Saturdays are for college football. 'Nuff said.

Go POKES.

Latest posts

Back