• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Tony Dungy mentoring UNMs Mike Locksley

MrTitleist

Administrator
Staff member
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4667247
Embattled New Mexico football coach Mike Locksley says he has turned to Tony Dungy as a personal mentor, KOAT-TV in Albuquerque, N.M., reports.

Locksley, who is winless on the field and was suspended after a physical confrontation with an assistant coach, said he has been in touch with Dungy, according to the report. Dungy, the former Indianapolis Colts coach and NBC studio analyst, guided Michael Vick's transition back to football from prison.

"I see coach Dungy being a guy with a wealth of experience and knowledge, not just in football, but in life," Locksley said, according to the report. "He's a class act. A guy that I have a ton of respect for and I thought it would be another source of information for me to grow as a head coach."

Locksley said he talked to Dungy about how his first year on the sideline at New Mexico has "been a whirlwind for me," according to the report.

Former New Mexico coach J.B. Gerald has alleged that Locksley choked and punched him during the attack, while other New Mexico assistants tried to separate them during a heated staff meeting on Sept. 20. Locksley, who was suspended for 10 days without pay, admitted an altercation, but denied punching Gerald. He and the university have disputed Gerald's charges, saying the incident was nothing more than a shoving match.

But documents obtained by ESPN.com and "Outside The Lines" through New Mexico's open records laws support Gerald's claim that he was choked and that Locksley tried to punch him. Handwritten notes from a human resources investigator who interviewed other assistant coaches backed Gerald's allegation that he was choked and punches were thrown.

Information from ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach was used in this report.

What is with Dungy mentoring everyone? It's like Dungy has to be this hero for every embattled coach or player. If Dungy can help turn around UNM, I will finally believe he is the second coming of christ.

Cornpoke said:
What is with Dungy mentoring everyone? It's like Dungy has to be this hero for every embattled coach or player. If Dungy can help turn around UNM, I will finally believe he is the second coming of christ.

Probably just a way for Locksley to try and save his job. Dungy's name carries clout.

Latest posts

Back