• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

tennessee opens at -24

7220Fan said:
Experts think we lose big against SEC.

I think they are right...unfortunately. We are just blinded right now, based on our huge win against powerhouse SDSU.

That's quite the spread for a team ranked 114th in total offense to be favored by...I don't disagree that they should be favored, but more like -14 seems reasonable

NCAA Stats

Agreed, we will need to play flawlessly, a repeat, no turnover, no returns for TD, no blocked or missed kick game to win. We will probably need to hang on to a couple pick opportunities as well. Tenn isn't as good as TCU, Utah, or BYU in my opinion.

Its pretty hard to put a line a game like this with 2 teams that falling apart. So i think the -24 is just more of a product of "its an SEC team hosting a MWC team." I could see this being a huge blowout, or a real close game going either way. I think it really depends on which Vol team shows up. Do they play hard to keep from getting embarassed, or have they thrown in the towel? I just hope we dont see a lot of cheap shots like the TCU game.

cheypoke said:
Its pretty hard to put a line a game like this with 2 teams that falling apart. So i think the -24 is just more of a product of "its an SEC team hosting a MWC team." I could see this being a huge blowout, or a real close game going either way. I think it really depends on which Vol team shows up. Do they play hard to keep from getting embarassed, or have they thrown in the towel? I just hope we dont see a lot of cheap shots like the TCU game.

Let's not forget, this is a MUST win for UT to become bowl eligible...and it is their annual Homecoming game! Those two things make a difference, regardless the fact that they are a hell of a lot more talented and better coached than we are.

McPeachy said:
Let's not forget, this is a MUST win for UT to become bowl eligible...and it is their annual Homecoming game! Those two things make a difference, regardless the fact that they are a hell of a lot more talented and better coached than we are.

Its also important to realize that Wyoming normally plays tough against BCS conference schools at least in the first half, we finally have a little momentum, we hung on to the football against SDSU, and the Pokes actually took some pride in their play on Saturday. Yes it was a lowsy SDSU team, but that lousy team had been keeping games within reach against some solid opponents. Brown and Gold glasses or not, I just don't see this as a blowout like BYU, Utah, or TCU were.

I liked the play calling in the first half of the SDSU game. The use of the deeper pass routes when it was given to us. That sure helps to loosen up the ground game. Then Cole got super conservative again in the second half. We've seen that Stutz can hit receivers, so I hope we see Cole take full advantage of that. If Tenn has to actually respect a pass threat, Demo should be able to rip some good runs

We also should remember that this is a must win game for wyoming if they want to keep the dream of going to a bowl game alive. That argument works both ways

WyomingAg said:
We also should remember that this is a must win game for wyoming if they want to keep the dream of going to a bowl game alive. That argument works both ways

I love the dream, and would be there if it happened.

But kind of off topic, Joe Glenn has never competed for a MWC championship. I think that should be the goal, not some no-name toilet bowl game. Something like 60% of all D1 teams will make it to a bowl game this season. Again, I would be there, but UW deserves to compete annually for the MWC championship, not just some bowl game because we finished .500

The reason that Tennessee will win is their speed advantage over the Pokes. If a UT receiver gets loose it's over. If a UT back can get into the open field, again it's over. Moore's quickness will be partially nullified by their speed . What will hurt UT is their apparent lack of cohesiveness - they don't seem to look like they are playing as a team. But that's just my opinion.

cheypoke said:
I liked the play calling in the first half of the SDSU game. The use of the deeper pass routes when it was given to us. That sure helps to loosen up the ground game. Then Cole got super conservative again in the second half. We've seen that Stutz can hit receivers, so I hope we see Cole take full advantage of that. If Tenn has to actually respect a pass threat, Demo should be able to rip some good runs
Actually, Buckhole and I talked about that during the game. Why didn't we even try to freaking score the second half? We literally just ran the clock the entire second half....that's not what I wanted to see....I think another TD or two, perhaps a FG would've done wonders for the Offense's confidence, and team chemistry and morale in general...to say nothing of we fans.

Brew_Poke said:
cheypoke said:
Actually, Buckhole and I talked about that during the game. Why didn't we even try to freaking score the second half? We literally just ran the clock the entire second half....that's not what I wanted to see....I think another TD or two, perhaps a FG would've done wonders for the Offense's confidence, and team chemistry and morale in general...to say nothing of we fans.

Glenn and his staff have been at UW / D1A football for six years and yet it doesn't seem like they grasp what it takes to win and compete at a high level here. Maybe he is smarter than all of us and didn't want to show Tennessee any more of our passing game. What ever his strategy is, it hasn't worked against the higher levels of competition. I just hope we don't get embarrassed again. I respect Joe Glenn, but I have seen all of his style of coaching I want to see.

But kind of off topic, Joe Glenn has never competed for a MWC championship. I think that should be the goal, not some no-name toilet bowl game. Something like 60% of all D1 teams will make it to a bowl game this season. Again, I would be there, but UW deserves to compete annually for the MWC championship, not just some bowl game because we finished .500

Totally agree McPeachy, but we can not win the MWC championship this year. I totally agree that at the beginning of every year including this year, the dream and the goal is to win the MWC championship and that is one of the reasons that if we won out and went to a bowl game I think Joe Glenn should still be fired, because we have never come close to competing for a championship, and he along with our whole athletic department seems to settle for mediocrity.

But since that is no longer a possibility, and we still have a chance to become bowl eligible, the new dream for me is to watch Wyoming beat an SEC school, our rival CSU, and UNLV and make it to a bowl game. Then I hope we fire Glenn, and hire a coach that brings excitement to the program. Our recruiting is dismal right now. I would hope the new coach could recover our recruiting by being able to point out that we did get 6 wins this year rather then 3, and show all the other positives that he will bring to the program.

Unfortuantly the way I see it though, we either go 3-9 and fire Glenn, and even a new coach may not be able to recover the recruiting because we had such a bad year, or we win out and keep Glenn but he can't recover the recruiting, because he has such a bad MWC record, and was blown out in many games this year.

So thus, my new dream for this team is to win out, win a bowl, and get a new coach which unfortuantly I know will never happen.

WyomingAg said:

Totally agree McPeachy, but we can not win the MWC championship this year. I totally agree that at the beginning of every year including this year, the dream and the goal is to win the MWC championship and that is one of the reasons that if we won out and went to a bowl game I think Joe Glenn should still be fired, because we have never come close to competing for a championship, and he along with our whole athletic department seems to settle for mediocrity.

But since that is no longer a possibility, and we still have a chance to become bowl eligible, the new dream for me is to watch Wyoming beat an SEC school, our rival CSU, and UNLV and make it to a bowl game. Then I hope we fire Glenn, and hire a coach that brings excitement to the program. Our recruiting is dismal right now. I would hope the new coach could recover our recruiting by being able to point out that we did get 6 wins this year rather then 3, and show all the other positives that he will bring to the program.

Unfortuantly the way I see it though, we either go 3-9 and fire Glenn, and even a new coach may not be able to recover the recruiting because we had such a bad year, or we win out and keep Glenn but he can't recover the recruiting, because he has such a bad MWC record, and was blown out in many games this year.

So thus, my new dream for this team is to win out, win a bowl, and get a new coach which unfortuantly I know will never happen.

Unreal. You must have read my mind. I couldn't agree more on everything you said. I thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back