• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

TAMU to the SEC heating up again

MrTitleist

Administrator
Staff member
This guy has a "source" too.
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/01/24/texas-am-to-the-sec-how-the-big-12-could-dissolve-quickly/

I could see a 16-team MWC happening but only if we grab a few refugees from the soon-to-be-dead Big 12.

And the crazy part is that a 16 team league might actually work after the shitty experience we had with the WAC-16 from 1996 to 1998.

Oh, and I agree. Let's forgot about the USU and SJSU bull!!!!

This guy is dead on. I think most of us in the MWC are fixated on the 50 meter target (namely, near term expansion and crying over the loss of our 'big three'). Ohio State, Michigan, USC, and a few other powerhouses are looking at the 200 meter target. Texas has shown them the way. Why would any school with a rabid national fanbase not emulate what Texas is doing? When you look at the Texas deal, they have basically made the 21 million per school payout in the Big X look like chump change. In a BCS year, they would make somewhere about three times that amount. All it will take for this ball to get rolling is for A&M to make their move. Something that I believe is more likely than not. Having lived in Central Texas for several years and having attended many games at at both College Station and Austin, it is hard to describe the size of the inferiority complex the Aggies have with regards to UT. In relative terms, this is like the BYU drama after the Utah invite, only taken to the 10th power. Other than OU and Oklahoma State (the latter, grace ala T Boone P.), what incentive is there for any Big XII school to stay in the room with a T Rex like Texas. Hell, I don't expect either of the Oklahoma schools are going to be happy living in the Texas shadow for long. Will it usher in super conferences? I don't know? Logically, it looks like the powerhouse schools with national followings may follow Texas's example and we may see a new line-up in the Independents soon. The rest of Div I (sorry, I'm old school) will have to morph into something completely new and different.

I haven't done the dollar comparison but it would be interesting to see some economics guru analyze the difference between the Notre Dame contract with NBC (unheard of at the time) and Texas's new deal. With the adjustments made for inflation/increased operating costs, I'm thinking Texas's situation is light years ahead of what Notre Dame pulled off. You can bet Ohio State's athletic department has hired some firm to do the comparison. Same with Michigan, USC, maybe OU/Nebraska/Alabama, and a very few other schools who could claim to have a 'Texas like' following.

What Texas has accomplished is really going to change things and I, for one, will be watching what Texas A&M or Missouri do. It looks to me as if this past summer's madness started in Big XII country and the next tectonic shift is likely going to occur there sometime in the next year or two as well. I'm betting the epicenter will be in College Station.

AfiPoke,
You are right on with your assumption that the Texas deal is light-years ahead of what Notre Dame has. In fact, one of the big false arguments against ND joining the Big Ten is that they make so much with their NBC TV deal when in fact, they would make a substantial amount more if they were to join the Big Ten. And thats just under the current contract as I'm sure a Big Ten + ND would warrant a TV contract renogtiating yielding even more money.

I find it ironic how the landscape of college athletics is changing. Just two years ago I wrote a Graduate paper on new or emerging athletic revenue sources and a Single-school TV network was one of the ideas I presented. However, I never thought it would only take 2 years for a deal of this magnitude to take place.

Beginning to think OU, Texas, and A&M may leave the B12 this summer. That could leave the MWC up for poaching, or the other way around.

I would be interested in reading that paper WestWYOPoke. I wrote an economics paper comparing Wyoming football to Clemson and how it's possible for a town smaller than Laramie to support a major college program like they do. I enjoy studying the economic impacts of college football.

If Texas A&M would get rid of their inferiority complex then they just may...........

I'm so sick of Texas. I'm so tired of the money demon........I would never schedule anything with teams like Texas anymore. I listened to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods interview on Rivals Radio yesterday or today.

I'd love for Texas to go indy and everyone refuse to play them. I wish TAMU and some others would just team up and screw UT over and over again somehow. I'm just that sick of it all. It's all so unnatractive to me and I'll continue to give less money to the few programs that I've given to.
Programs like Texas with make the money anyway because for years the young people here in Texas have grown up thinking that Texas is "it". So many UT shirts etc. are seen.
I'm dating a 19 year old and so he can only remember the Big 12 and the dominance of UT, TAMU and Zero U (Oklahoma) in the Dallas area.
I hate that. In the Dallas media they treat Oklahoma like it's a Texas team and well, it is at least half of that. Recently, in the papers, they showed the program that recruited the Dallas area the best. Can you guess who? Oklafuckinghoma State. They are treated like they are in Dallas too.
My feelings are like they are ready for teams to take sides like in the World Wars and just nuke each other to smithereens. Well, that's my feelings.
But yeah, TAMU go to the SEC.
Some in the Dallas area have talked about that and OU and OKie State doing it too.
On another message board there was more Big East invitations chatter too.
I've even heard that the MWC changing TCU's schedule to go to BSU is enough evidence to show how any Texas team would be treated in the MWC. So I'm hearing, reading all kinds of stuff.

alyssa said:
If Texas A&M would get rid of their inferiority complex then they just may...........

I'm so sick of Texas. I'm so tired of the money demon........I would never schedule anything with teams like Texas anymore. I listened to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods interview on Rivals Radio yesterday or today.

I'd love for Texas to go indy and everyone refuse to play them. I wish TAMU and some others would just team up and screw UT over and over again somehow. I'm just that sick of it all. It's all so unnatractive to me and I'll continue to give less money to the few programs that I've given to.
Programs like Texas with make the money anyway because for years the young people here in Texas have grown up thinking that Texas is "it". So many UT shirts etc. are seen.
I'm dating a 19 year old and so he can only remember the Big 12 and the dominance of UT, TAMU and Zero U (Oklahoma) in the Dallas area.
I hate that. In the Dallas media they treat Oklahoma like it's a Texas team and well, it is at least half of that. Recently, in the papers, they showed the program that recruited the Dallas area the best. Can you guess who? Oklafuckinghoma State. They are treated like they are in Dallas too.
My feelings are like they are ready for teams to take sides like in the World Wars and just nuke each other to smithereens. Well, that's my feelings.
But yeah, TAMU go to the SEC.
Some in the Dallas area have talked about that and OU and OKie State doing it too.
On another message board there was more Big East invitations chatter too.
I've even heard that the MWC changing TCU's schedule to go to BSU is enough evidence to show how any Texas team would be treated in the MWC. So I'm hearing, reading all kinds of stuff.

LOL, why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL

It's too early to start thumping my chest about this coming to pass (and I'm preaching to the choir on here anyway) but:

http://www.examiner.com/college-football-in-national/texas-a-m-and-sec-a-real-possibility

http://newsok.com/texas-network-a-blow-to-whatever-stability-big-12-has-left/article/3536730

That last article is a ringer. Well written and good analysis. We haven't heard much out of Norman on this whole thing and it is refreshing the OU/OSU sportswriters are beginning to chime in.

I'm glad we stood pat on this expansion business. It's hard to tell who is going to benefit/suffer after all the chips fall but, I don't think our case was helped in any way by adding SJSU and USU (or Houston/SMU/UTEP, etc...). If the super conference thing comes to pass, I wonder where we land? I'm betting it will be another rumor filled spring/summer.

Latest posts

Back