• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Stutzreim transfers to Indiana State

MrTitleist

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.tribstar.com/breakingnews/local_story_118181601.html

By Todd Golden
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Former University of Wyoming quarterback Chris Stutzriem will transfer to Indiana State University and will play for the Sycamores next fall. Stutzriem confirmed his intention to transfer to the Tribune-Star on Tuesday.

Stutzriem, who hails from Lawton, Okla., is 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds.

“I’m a bigger guy, so I like the pro-style offense [ISU runs],” Stutzriem said. “My motto is ‘get the ball into the athletes’ hands.’ I like pro-style, I like the option to change the play at the line. I like the guys on this team. They’re great guys, there’s no bad characters and it’s a good football atmosphere.”

Stutzriem, a sophomore, will have immediate eligibility. Transfers from FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) to FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) programs are not required to sit out a year.

Stutzriem made four late-season starts for the Cowboys in 2008, compiling a 2-2 record, including a 13-7 victory at Tennessee on Nov. 8. He completed 55 of 98 passes for 660 yards with five touchdown passes and five interceptions. His best outing came in a 35-10 win over San Diego State on Nov. 1 when he had a QB rating of 232.44. His season rating was 119.33.

Stutzriem told the Tribune-Star his primary motivation to transfer was Wyoming’s coaching change. Joe Glenn, the coach who recruited Stutzriem, was fired and replaced by Dave Christensen in the off-season. Christensen runs a different offense than Glenn did.

Stutzriem’s transfer should solidify a position that was in flux for much of the 2008 season. Four different Sycamores (Matt Seliger, Chuck Dowdell, Calvin Schmidtke, Ryan Roberts) started at quarterback last season. Seliger is the only one who remains at quarterback. Dowdell transferred, Schmidtke was released and Roberts was moved to wide receiver.

ISU’s coaching staff declined comment until Stutzriem’s scholarship papers become official, which should occur this week.

It's obvious he wasn't going to fit into our new offense probably best for both him and the program that we part ways.. Good luck to him and I'll always remember him for being our QB who beat Tennessee.

Cornpoke said:
It's obvious he wasn't going to fit into our new offense probably best for both him and the program that we part ways.. Good luck to him and I'll always remember him for being our QB who beat Tennessee.

Oh correction Cornpoke...the UW Defense beat Tennessee and won that game. The offense and Stutz had a bit to do with it, but not much...just like special teams had a "bit" to do with it, but not much.

For Stutz to say the main reason he left was because of the coaching change...whereas that statement would take me back to his quote about if "Glenn goes I go"...I am not sure that is what he meant here...he just simply didn't fit the mold at UW any longer...

I wasn't saying that he "Won" the game for UW over UT but he was still the QB under center for that game and I will forever remember that... He did pick up that one crucial first down so we could run out the clock and not have to punt.

Cornpoke said:
I wasn't saying that he "Won" the game for UW over UT but he was still the QB under center for that game and I will forever remember that... He did pick up that one crucial first down so we could run out the clock and not have to punt.

Ok...I agree. He managed not to lose the game for UW. Which given the circumstances, offense game plan, and even his track record, was grand. Ward Dobbs is the man engrained in my mind as the real QB that day, and Neuhaus was his right hand.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=283132633

I'll go on the record and say Stutzreim DID win the TN game for us. If he doesnt make that late game audible and connect with Johnson over the middle for a first down, I think we lose.

Best of luck to him, I'll be rooting for Indiana State to turn their program around with him.

Latest posts

Back