• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Some Information on Regis

TheRealUW

As many of you probably know, Regis played CSU yesterday in Fort Collins and lost by 9 points. I'd like to take a bit deeper look at Regis beyond that...

They were picked to finish 6th out of 7 teams in the Eastern Division of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference and 10th overall in the 14 team conference. The player to watch is a senior guard by the name of Matt Rosinski. He is the unquestioned leader of the team and is probably the best scorer on the team. He is lights out from the free throw line and can knock down the 3-pointer if left open. That being said, he isn't a ball hog and is pretty good at drawing defenders and then finding an open teammate. I'm not sure if he plays the point, but it will be an interesting matchup regardless of whether we go with Luster on him or Manzano.

I think it goes without saying that UW is more athletic at every single position, but Regis is a hell of a scrappy team. I think they hang with the Pokes for the first 10 minutes and then UW opens up a nice lead with a run before halftime. Pokes maintain that lead in the second half and win by 20.

we just need to play the post to beat them.

they dont have a guy over 6'5"

we only have 3 people under that, not including the walk on james dean.

and its an exhibition. work on the plays and fundamentals.

Cuse lost to le moyne. its exhibition.

PApokesPhan said:
we just need to play the post to beat them.

they dont have a guy over 6'5"

we only have 3 people under that, not including the walk on james dean.

and its an exhibition. work on the plays and fundamentals.

Cuse lost to le moyne. its exhibition.

It may only be an exhibition, but I can guarantee a loss would severely damage the morale of a team, especially a young, unexperienced team like this. I have to disagree wtih you about concentrating on fundamentals in an exhibition game. Fundamentals should be driven home in practice. Then they become second nature in a game situation. This is the first time a lot of these guys will be putting on a UW game jersey and playing in front of a crowd in the AA. You have to treat this game just like any other game if you are a player. Habits are formed through repetition. These players need to make a habit of preparing themselves for game and a habit of winning and putting teams away when they get a chance. This isn't a scrimmage. It may not count in the standings, but it's still a game as Syracuse found out.

Now, I'd love to discuss your theory of getting an easy win by going inside. We have two true centers. Waddell and Sylla. Waddell is out and Sylla is completly untested. From what I've seen of him in practice this fall, he isn't the answer in the post. I wish I could say differently, but I'm trying to stay objective. Our strength is our ability to get to the rim with our athleticism. Have you seen Manzano? I have never seen a guy at UW that can get to the rim as easily as he can. He gets there at will. We all know about Muojeke's ability to score the ball, but I honestly think Jackson and M'Baye are just as good of scorers as Muojeke right now. I think fans are going to be disappointed in Sylla (another big man bust), pleasantly surprised with Jackson and M'Baye, and shocked at what Manzano can do offensively.

you can play the post with Thiam, M'Baye, Muojeke, Derm, and Harrison.

theyre all taller than 6'5.

im sure a couple passes to Sylla and he will look good offensively against Regis.

hes got a good 8" and 40 lbs on their "center" plus his wingspan is like 7'5" right?

you gotta work Sylla down low for this. it could help him build confidence in his offense for now.

TheRealUW said:
From what I've seen of him in practice this fall, he isn't the answer in the post.

I think fans are going to be disappointed in Sylla (another big man bust), pleasantly surprised with Jackson and M'Baye, and shocked at what Manzano can do offensively.

Even though specifics couldn't be talked about, apparently Bouba had a nice scrimmage against Fresno. No offense, but I hope you eat your words.

Go Pokes!!

http://www.trib.com/sports/college/article_b4ecf75e-2db0-57cb-8ac4-a3ad81554ea3.html

Latest posts

Back