• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

QB De-committ

Found this

In other news, FV learned yesterday that Alonso QB C.J. Bennett de-committed from Wyoming and will now look around. In speaking with sources close to Bennett, the talented quarterback just wants to make sure he has made the right choice in checking out a few more schools. Bennett has been one of the top quarterbacks out of the Hillsborough County area this season throwing for over 2,000 yards.

Need to talk to his Dad and find out what was up? I know some Big East and at least 1 SEC school have been sniffing around.

that disappointing but it does validate the theory that we are going after better players. hopefully he still chooses wyoming, ACS success this year may have hurt our chances with CJ.

I'm thinking he's looking at ACS and realizes he's not going to play until his junior year. Don't blame him.

i was hoping for a 1 and 1A situation where CJ would get some playing time so if ACS would ever get hurt there would be no drop off, maybe CJ even keeps the starting spot. in situations like the TCU game it would allow us to be more aggressive with either one of them in there. it can still happen and kudos to wyo recruiting for finding and getting good talent. CJ should know that at UW if he can play he will and that this staff just got here so he wont get stuck on a team that discriminates against shorter QBs. DC would play him early and a lot, not so sure about big east or SEC, very likely to never get a chance there especially if recruited by one staff then it gets replaced. oh well now i know what i want for xmas, a recommit!

oh yeah, meant to add, that after we win big today and again in december, we will look a lot more attractive to recruits, hopefully he recommits then, but if not we may find another. stratton doesnt look like a slouch either. go pokes big game today, watching with relatives from ft collins, it could get testy.

steelbed58 said:
Found this

In other news, FV learned yesterday that Alonso QB C.J. Bennett de-committed from Wyoming and will now look around. In speaking with sources close to Bennett, the talented quarterback just wants to make sure he has made the right choice in checking out a few more schools. Bennett has been one of the top quarterbacks out of the Hillsborough County area this season throwing for over 2,000 yards.

Need to talk to his Dad and find out what was up? I know some Big East and at least 1 SEC school have been sniffing around.

Dissapointing obviously. Pretty clear that he started to get some better offers, basically just used Wyoming as a placeholder till he could get some higher profile offers. Happens all the time in recruiting and is going to happen more if we are going after a higher caliber of player. It's the risk you take. Also a failure on the part of our staff to retain the commitment.

NowherePoke said:
Dissapointing obviously. Pretty clear that he started to get some better offers, basically just used Wyoming as a placeholder till he could get some higher profile offers. Happens all the time in recruiting and is going to happen more if we are going after a higher caliber of player. It's the risk you take. Also a failure on the part of our staff to retain the commitment.

I'm not sure you can really call it a failure. I have a feeling they could no longer promise that he would get to start earlier than his (redshirted) junior year. Not many talented quarterbacks are going to be happy about that unless they're at a big program.

Also, they call him a pro-style QB with 4.9 speed. I'm not sure that's all that great of a fit with the spread anyways?

Bennett's de-commit was unfortunately official. The only other (non-fcs) school that seems to have offered him to this point is Navy although. Can't fault him if he is considering a military career. If not, hopefully he will re-commit.

Other schools that it lists him as considering include: navy, kansas, central florida, tulsa

OrediggerPoke said:
Bennett's de-commit was unfortunately official. The only other (non-fcs) school that seems to have offered him to this point is Navy although. Can't fault him if he is considering a military career. If not, hopefully he will re-commit.

Other schools that it lists him as considering include: navy, kansas, central florida, tulsa

There was a rivals article published on him today. Here is a particularly enlightening comment:

"I committed looking for more offers and nothing was coming around so I opened it up hoping some of these schools would come around."

NowherePoke said:
OrediggerPoke said:

There was a rivals article published on him today. Here is a particularly enlightening comment:

"I committed looking for more offers and nothing was coming around so I opened it up hoping some of these schools would come around."

Sounds like he isn't overly interested in being a Poke. If I was DC I would talk to the kid, and see where his heart is and if he doesn't want to be here I would pull the offer and give it to someone who is talented and wants to buy into what is happening with Poke football!

NowherePoke said:
OrediggerPoke said:

I'm sure this practice is commonplace on the recruiting battlefields. However it gives me pause that he would openly say this.

NowherePoke said:
OrediggerPoke said:

I don't think we need this kid - regardless of how talented he is.

WYCowboy said:
I don't think we need this kid - regardless of how talented he is.

Hi Fives WYCowboy!
I agree with you %100 !
I think he was playing UWyo the whole time. Pull the offer and get on with recruiting. Plenty of kids out there that would love the opportunity to become a Poke.

After reading these comments, I also agree with you guys. PULL HIS OFFER! Sounds like he never had any intention of playing for the Cowboys. We don't need this kind of player/person. We have ACS and Benjamin for next year. We probably will have to redshirt Stratton considering his injury. So I think if we can't find a HS QB that is a good fit, we should go the JUCO route to bring in someone to add depth and heavily recruit the position next year.

Latest posts

Back