• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

President Reeves - Time to Fire Tom Burman

You’re really focused on pointing the finger at the players for where we are at.

Just curious - when the 2023 football team beat Texas Tech, App State, then ranked Fresno State and Toledo in its bowl game to finish 9-4, did those players have pride and grit? And when those same players came back a year later and were routinely embarrassed and finished 3-9, did those same players suddenly lose their pride and grit?

…OR…could it be that the coaching staff changed in 2024 and the lack of any coherent gameplan and inability to put players in the right position to perform, suddenly destroyed the ability of the team to compete?

Come on man. This isn’t because the players on the team lack pride and grit. You’re way off base in that assessment. This is because we have the worst staff in the country that has killed this program and the life in the players.
The coaching staff is a big part of the problem. I agree with you there. But...

...a lot of the players suck too. Maybe "suck" is too strong of a word, but let's just say the majority of players on almost every other football team we face has better players than we do. Even a bad FCS team like Northern Colorado.

To me at least, its obvious with the eye test. If you can, go back and watch a Wyoming game from the 2000's - even one of the Koenning lead teams - and then follow it up with watching a game from this season. You'll be surprised at how much the level of play has dropped.
 
The coaching staff is a big part of the problem. I agree with you there. But...

...a lot of the players suck too. Maybe "suck" is too strong of a word, but let's just say the majority of players on almost every other football team we face has better players than we do. Even a bad FCS team like Northern Colorado.

To me at least, its obvious with the eye test. If you can, go back and watch a Wyoming game from the 2000's - even one of the Koenning lead teams - and then follow it up with watching a game from this season. You'll be surprised at how much the level of play has dropped.
I agree that we have talent gaps. But it is the coaches who are charged with identifying and bringing in talent. We are not playing teams with massive NIL accounts that could account for the talent gaps we are seeing. Largely, we are playing teams on an even playing field when it comes to resources (and some in worse spots).

And if you can’t bring in the talent, you have to develop it. We did a good job under Craig Bohl of developing overlooked players. We seem to be doing a poor job of elevating players over the past 3 years (some even seem to get worse).
 
There are a number of issues with UW athletics. We have to solve the biggest issue first, and that is Tom Burman. Before we get upset about Sawvel and the state of the football program, we need to get rid of the architect that created this dismal situation and that is Tom Burman.

I have written to President Reeves today about the situation and how I felt the need for Tom Burman to be let go, sooner rather than later. I urge all Wyoming fans to write to President Reeves and do everything that they can to get rid of Tom ASAP. We do NOT want Tom to be the one selecting Sawvel's replacement, if it gets to that point! We must have a new AD and a shake-up of the athletic department and the new AD will be making the decision, NOT Tom Burman.

I agree with the other posters who have said be respectful and keep away from the personal slights against Sawvel and others in the football program. The athletic department is in a dismal situation because its flagship programs have been dismal failures. Correct the big issue first and then be concerned about any possible coaching changes.

Go Pokes!
 
Last edited:
Just FYI, I received a very nice email back from President Reeves. In his response he appreciated hearing from me first of all. In addition, he admitted that things are not what they were hoping for, and he also stated that he was watching the situation very closely. I did not get the impression that he was attempting to put me off, but I felt he was very honest and appreciated hearing from an alumnus.

Go Pokes!
 
Last edited:
Just FYI, I received a very nice email back from President Reeves. In his response he appreciated hearing from me first of all. In addition, he admitted that things are what they were hoping, and he also stated that he was watching the situation very closely. I did not get the impression that he was attempting to put me off, but I felt he was very honest and appreciated hearing from an alumnus.

Go Pokes!
Good stuff....thanks for the update!
 
We all know the money owed to Sawful for the next 2+ years is prohibitive.

I’m just wondering if anyone has calculated the lost revenue in less ticket sales, less concessions, less memorabilia, less donor contributions, less enrollment, and less big program interest in scheduling games?

Could making up for all of this lost revenue equal paying Sawful and paying a new AD and football coaching staff? Maybe it’s still too much but continual failure on the gridiron has to be equally draining on the coffers in Old Main.
 
We all know the money owed to Sawful for the next 2+ years is prohibitive.

I’m just wondering if anyone has calculated the lost revenue in less ticket sales, less concessions, less memorabilia, less donor contributions, less enrollment, and less big program interest in scheduling games?

Could making up for all of this lost revenue equal paying Sawful and paying a new AD and football coaching staff? Maybe it’s still too much but continual failure on the gridiron has to be equally draining on the coffers in Old Main.
Why not assign him other duties? He may not like to work and maybe he's just leave.
 
Why not assign him other duties? He may not like to work and maybe he's just leave.
That would still be very expensive as you would be paying for two head football coaches at the same time. Secondly some of the coaching staff have contracts that we would have to honor....just a lot of money.

I am hoping that Tom will be told very soon that his contract will not be renewed, so that we can go ahead and do the work to bring in an AD who actually move this whole program forward, unlike Tom who was more concerned with keeping the status quo more than anything else.

Then the new AD has the time to do a complete review and analysis and do a thorough job of lining up our new HC. Whether we like it or not, Sawvel will be with us for a while, but with the removal of Tom our biggest issue will have been addressed.
 
That would still be very expensive as you would be paying for two head football coaches at the same time. Secondly some of the coaching staff have contracts that we would have to honor....just a lot of money.

I am hoping that Tom will be told very soon that his contract will not be renewed, so that we can go ahead and do the work to bring in an AD who actually move this whole program forward, unlike Tom who was more concerned with keeping the status quo more than anything else.

Then the new AD has the time to do a complete review and analysis and do a thorough job of lining up our new HC. Whether we like it or not, Sawvel will be with us for a while, but with the removal of Tom our biggest issue will have been addressed.
Oredigger pointed out that assistants are still on a one year deal and would expire Feb 2027 so really your only buyout is the HC or if that is not viable than you force changes in the Assistant Coach world
 
I wrote President Reeves an email.

President Reeves,

I’m writing as a proud 2016 masters graduate of the of Journalism and as someone for whom the University of Wyoming genuinely changed the trajectory of my life.

Wyoming was the only university that accepted me.

My undergraduate grades at the time frankly did not warrant admission. But somebody at Wyoming looked at a Black kid from Philadelphia and decided I was worth taking a chance on. That decision changed my life.

Laramie became home. Wyoming shaped me personally and professionally. My experience there had such an impact that, a decade later, I’m still working in higher education, now supervising campus recreation programs at Georgia Tech. If I had it my way, someday I’d be next in line to replace Pat Moran at Half Acre.

I love stories about people being given a shot because I am one of those stories.

That is part of why I wanted Jay Sawvel to succeed so badly.

Wyoming gave a relatively unproven coach an opportunity to lead a Division I football program. I respect that. I love that kind of story. By everything I have seen and heard, Jay is also a genuinely good person. None of what I’m writing is meant to diminish that.

But being Cowboy Tough also means being willing to make Cowboy Tough decisions.

And it’s time.

Some of my fondest memories are tied to Wyoming Athletics: watching the Cowboys win the Mountain West basketball tournament, upsetting then-No. 5 San Diego State, Kegs and Eggs at the Buckhorn, and countless Saturdays watching Wyoming football.

We certainly didn’t always win.

But those teams competed. They were physical. They were stubborn. They made you believe Wyoming belonged on the field with whoever lined up across from us.

I have a Steamboat tattoo because ten of my friends and I decided in Las Vegas that winning a Mountain West championship was a perfectly reasonable excuse to permanently put Wyoming on our bodies.

That’s how much this place means to me.

Which is why watching what Wyoming football has become hurts.

I understand the challenges. NIL and revenue sharing have changed college athletics. The transfer portal makes roster building harder. Wyoming has geographic and financial realities that other programs do not. Injuries happen. There are legitimate headwinds here, and I don’t expect Wyoming to suddenly operate like a Big Ten program.

But those challenges cannot explain everything.

What we are watching now is a shadow of the Wyoming football program I remember.

This isn’t simply about losing. Wyoming fans know how to lose. We have done plenty of it over the years. But there is a difference between losing while competing and watching a program that increasingly looks like it has lost its direction.

I live in Atlanta now. I had planned to bring my wife back to Laramie for the UConn game. I wanted her to experience the place that changed my life—the drive into town, the cold, War Memorial, the people, all of it.

After watching the product on the field, I cannot justify the expense of making that trip.

I can’t seriously contemplate flying from Atlanta to Laramie in November to watch this.

And that bothers me far more than any individual loss.

Your development staff comes to Atlanta. I want to attend those events. I want to support UW. I want to give. I want Wyoming Athletics to keep me connected to the university from 1,500 miles away.

But right now, supporting this football program even from my couch increasingly feels like a poor use of my time.

And please understand: I am paying attention.

I’ve listened to Board of Trustees meetings from Atlanta. I follow what is happening at the university. I listen to your public remarks and speeches because I care deeply about the institution and its future.

I’m not someone checking a football score on Saturday and firing off an angry email after a loss.

I care about Wyoming.

And lately, one of the most frustrating feelings has been wondering whether alumni like me care more urgently about the direction of Wyoming football than the people with the authority to change it.

I desperately want to be wrong about that.

President Reeves, I also recognize that you have far more consequential responsibilities than football. As someone pursuing a doctorate in higher education administration and hoping to continue advancing as an administrator myself, I have tremendous empathy for the position you are in. Universities are complicated places. Leadership means balancing competing priorities, constituencies, budgets, politics, people, and missions every single day.

But athletics matters because it is one of the strongest connective tissues between a university and its alumni.

Wyoming Athletics gives people like me a reason to keep looking west.

It brings us back to Laramie. It puts us in brown and gold in Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, Philadelphia, and everywhere else Cowboys end up. It keeps us emotionally connected to a university that changed our lives long after we leave campus.

That connection is being tested right now.

Wyoming once made a bet on me.

I will be grateful for that for the rest of my life.

I’m glad Wyoming made a bet on Jay Sawvel, too. Giving someone an opportunity is part of what makes this institution special.

But an opportunity cannot become an indefinite obligation.

Jay is a person. By all accounts, he is a good one. He deserves to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of what happens next.

But Wyoming football needs new leadership. It needs new energy. It needs new faces and a reason for people to believe again.

There is still time to give alumni like me a reason to book that flight, come back to Laramie, walk into War Memorial, and believe that Wyoming football is building toward something again.

President Reeves, this is one of those moments that calls for the toughness Wyoming talks so proudly about.

Please do the Cowboy Tough thing.

Make the difficult decision.

It’s time.

Go Pokes!
 
I wrote President Reeves an email.
That’s a really well written letter. Wish you had mentioned Burman and his contract that guarantees him money instead of having performance incentives. And that the new AD would be best to lead athletics into the next era
 
I wrote President Reeves an email.
Wow…What an email man! Absolutely nailed it. Obviously a lot of thought and passion went into it. Keep us updated on any responses you receive. I’m sure that email resonates with a lot of people on here and sharing responses might encourage others to share their thoughts in a similar way. 👏
 
Back
Top