• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Post spring depth chart

Glad to see some changes with the o-line. Hopefully some of last years starters get motivated by being placed with the second team and get some competition going.

WYO1016 said:
MrTitleist said:
Look how far Kongo dropped at RB.. jeez.
Note to Kongo: Stop breaking team rules or you'll never see the field.

Are you implying in a round-A-bout way that we should have some sort of rule, or "code"?

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Todd Knight, IMO had the best spring at LB. We have some serious depth at LB! Todd is fast as hell, and tough as nails. I bet we see 4 LB's on the field quite often this season.

McPeachy said:
Todd Knight, IMO had the best spring at LB. We have some serious depth at LB! Todd is fast as hell, and tough as nails. I bet we see 4 LB's on the field quite often this season.

You're not suggesting we go back to the 3-4 are you? Seems to me that the linebacking corps has been one of the Poke's strengths. To get four LBs on the field you have to go 3-4. But, didn't DC take us away from that? Just asking...

The Virginian said:
McPeachy said:

You're not suggesting we go back to the 3-4 are you? Seems to me that the linebacking corps has been one of the Poke's strengths. To get four LBs on the field you have to go 3-4. But, didn't DC take us away from that? Just asking...
The only position on the team with more depth than LB, would be the Dline. There are at least 10 guys, all with good size, who should see the field this year. The depth we are building is nice to see.

The Virginian said:

Although it is no secret that I am a fan of the 3 - 4, UW will be staying in the 4 -3 base defense. But what I did see, were some interesting variations during the spring, that quite honestly are exciting as hell.

Variations like having 4 LB's on the field and 3 down lineman. Variations like rushing Knapton from an upright stance instead of as a down lineman. Variations like running a hybrid-nickle defense, but instead of tossing in another DB, using another LB. And more. I look forward to this year maybe being Marty English's best defense unit ever. The defense has a chip on thier shoulder...and needs it.

The Virginian said:

The most important position in a 3-4 defense is the nose guard. You can have all the speed, athleticism, and depth at linebacker you want, but it won't mean shit without a good nose guard. It is absolutely critical that you have a NG who demands a double team on every single run play, otherwise the 3-4 is prone to being gashed by the run game. Personally, I don't see anybody currently on this team who is capable of playing the NG position and covering both A gaps.

Fred Givens never got the credit he deserved. He was instrumental in most of those stiff Joe Glenn defenses. NG's typically don't get a whole lot of attention because they don't have guady stats, but a good nose guard is capable of making an average linebacker look like an all-star.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3-4 in obvious passing downs, as the 3-4 allows you to disguise the blitzes better and get more speed coming off the edge. However, the 4-3 is definitely the better base defense for us at this time. Don't get me wrong, the 3-4 defense can be killer...but you have to have the right personnel to run it successfully.

I'm encouraged about some of the depth on defense. Still my biggest concern is still on both sides of the line. The D-line seems to be in place but I'll hold my thoughts until I watch the first game. I want to see us start winning the line of scrimmage and things will began to fall into place.

MrTitleist said:
Look how far Kongo dropped at RB.. jeez.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kongo is a bust. He's got the talent but I wonder where his priorities lay. I think he'll turn it around, but I"m just saying that if he didn't, I wouldn't be shocked.

http://www.cowboyaltitude.com/2011/4/15/2113430/wyoming-football-depth-chart-post-spring-game-edition
Cowboy Altitude's cheeky blog on the depth chart.

DC seems really inconsistent in the way injuries and suspensions affect the players spot on the depth chart. As pointed out in the blog, how is it that Korey Jones keeps his starting spot and Kongo drops all the way to 5th on the depth chart behind a guy that hasn't even stepped foot on campus. If you recall, Kongo was listed as the starting running back at the outset of last spring before ever even putting on a Pokes uniform, and now they have him behind a true freshman? It all just seems so bizarre.

TheRealUW said:
DC seems really inconsistent in the way injuries and suspensions affect the players spot on the depth chart. As pointed out in the blog, how is it that Korey Jones keeps his starting spot and Kongo drops all the way to 5th on the depth chart behind a guy that hasn't even stepped foot on campus. If you recall, Kongo was listed as the starting running back at the outset of last spring before ever even putting on a Pokes uniform, and now they have him behind a true freshman? It all just seems so bizarre.
If Kongo would stop getting into trouble, he might move up a bit.

Latest posts

Back