• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Overall, things aren't that bad

laxwyo

We're competing in the games we are suppose to. We didn't in the ones we weren't. I still like the fight in our team, but you can't expect after two recruiting classes to be where we want to be.

Last year was unexpected and that was wonderful, but we've come down to where we are probably suppose to be. I expect to win the last three games, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost one or two. I know some people are upset with coaches, but our coaches are young along with our players and they have to develop as well. It's not like we have real experience at any of the coaching positions. The players and coaches had a wonderful year as freshman, but the coaches are just sophomores this year. I think the coaches are doing the right thing and not burning red shirts and that will be beneficial in the next two years. Hopefully, we have some depth and this next recruiting class can redshirt without leaving holes. It will also help if we get a full 25 recruits and we can build on the number of schollies we have on the team.

Let's not get too down on our boys. I think they are still playing beyond their skills.

Not a personal attack, but sorry, things are that bad. For all intents and purposes, the season is done, done, and done! Right now they are playing to not have any injuries, the rest of the way and to get some practice for NEXT FUCKING YEAR.

HiCountryCowboy said:
Not a personal attack, but sorry, things are that bad. For all intents and purposes, the season is done, done, and done! Right now they are playing to not have any injuries, the rest of the way and to get some practice for NEXT YEAR.
There's still the Bronze Boot.

fromolwyoming said:
HiCountryCowboy said:
Not a personal attack, but sorry, things are that bad. For all intents and purposes, the season is done, done, and done! Right now they are playing to not have any injuries, the rest of the way and to get some practice for NEXT YEAR.
There's still the Bronze Boot.

There is that, I suppose - but I'd rather (as would potential recruits) be in the running for a NM bowl trophy still. I'd also like it if the boot wasn't a trophy for 8th place in the conference :brick:

HiCountryCowboy said:
Not a personal attack, but sorry, things are that bad. For all intents and purposes, the season is done, done, and done! Right now they are playing to not have any injuries, the rest of the way and to get some practice for NEXT f##king YEAR.

Are we suppose to win the MWC in the second year? Yeah, no post season, and yeah you're trying to build a program, so I expect them to try to develop all the young players and coaches during the rest of the year.

You're a douche and a bad fan! UW would be better if you weren't one. We all want results fast, but it just can't happen.

laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:
Not a personal attack, but sorry, things are that bad. For all intents and purposes, the season is done, done, and done! Right now they are playing to not have any injuries, the rest of the way and to get some practice for NEXT f##king YEAR.

Are we suppose to win the MWC in the second year? Yeah, no post season, and yeah you're trying to build a program, so I expect them to try to develop all the young players and coaches during the rest of the year.

You're a douche and a bad fan! UW would be better if you weren't one. We all want results fast, but it just can't happen.

Maybe not win the conference, but maybe not 0-5 either. Oh, and thanks for reading my "not a personal attack" preface and following with your sweet zinger! You're the best, I shouldn't even be fan. Will you refund me all the time, money, and emotion I've invested in this team since the eighties then? - THANKS you can PM me and I'll send you my address for payment you fuck!

HiCountryCowboy said:
laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:

Maybe not win the conference, but maybe not 0-5 either. Oh, and thanks for reading my "not a personal attack" preface and following with your sweet zinger! You're the best, I shouldn't even be fan. Will you refund me all the time, money, and emotion I've invested in this team since the eighties then? - THANKS you can PM me and I'll send you my address for payment you f##k!

I guess all the time, money and emotion must be when they are winning since you obviously can't handle it when they are losing. I wasn't personally offended by your comments and what does you being a shitty fan have to do with me? You're a shitty fan because you're expectations are too high and when a bunch of kids don't live up to you're expectations , you focus on what's not possible anymore. The season is not done. There is a lot that can be accomplished by everyone who isn't a senior. I will be focusing on the next game and hoping the kids can build from week to week. I'm hoping that they close this season a better team than they were today. Bottom line, we need fans cheering all the time, not just when we have a winning program and it seems you've already packed it in, which makes you a shitty fan.

laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:
laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:

Maybe not win the conference, but maybe not 0-5 either. Oh, and thanks for reading my "not a personal attack" preface and following with your sweet zinger! You're the best, I shouldn't even be fan. Will you refund me all the time, money, and emotion I've invested in this team since the eighties then? - THANKS you can PM me and I'll send you my address for payment you f##k!

I guess all the time, money and emotion must be when they are winning since you obviously can't handle it when they are losing. I wasn't personally offended by your comments and what does you being a s##tty fan have to do with me? You're a s##tty fan because you're expectations are too high and when a bunch of kids don't live up to you're expectations , you focus on what's not possible anymore. The season is not done. There is a lot that can be accomplished by everyone who isn't a senior. I will be focusing on the next game and hoping the kids can build from week to week. I'm hoping that they close this season a better team than they were today. Bottom line, we need fans cheering all the time, not just when we have a winning program and it seems you've already packed it in, which makes you a s##tty fan.

Congratulations - YOU'VE WON!

I guess I have to now accept my assigned role as a "shitty fan" since you said so!

I, in turn, now dub you "Hallelieuia Cowboy" our resident sunshine pumper! Think the handle is still available for the board? You can convince all the good fans out there when you start threads just like this one...

Have fun in Vegas (and Albuquerque, too) as I'm sure you're going to cheer for all that progress that's bound to happen. Bon Voyage!

HiCountryCowboy said:
laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:
laxwyo said:
HiCountryCowboy said:

I guess all the time, money and emotion must be when they are winning since you obviously can't handle it when they are losing. I wasn't personally offended by your comments and what does you being a s##tty fan have to do with me? You're a s##tty fan because you're expectations are too high and when a bunch of kids don't live up to you're expectations , you focus on what's not possible anymore. The season is not done. There is a lot that can be accomplished by everyone who isn't a senior. I will be focusing on the next game and hoping the kids can build from week to week. I'm hoping that they close this season a better team than they were today. Bottom line, we need fans cheering all the time, not just when we have a winning program and it seems you've already packed it in, which makes you a s##tty fan.

Congratulations - YOU'VE WON!

I guess I have to now accept my assigned role as a "s##tty fan" since you said so!

I, in turn, now dub you "Hallelieuia Cowboy" our resident sunshine pumper! Think the handle is still available for the board? You can convince all the good fans out there when you start threads just like this one...

Have fun in Vegas (and Albuquerque, too) as I'm sure you're going to cheer for all that progress that's bound to happen. Bon Voyage!
Hey Hicountrycowboy! You lil buckaroo you! You really need to lay off. Nothing positive comes from negativity (and yeah this isn't math I'm talking about either.) The Cowboys knew what was on the line today and played their hearts out. it just wasn't in the books for us today. This is honestly the only loss that I see that changes this years team from last years. We ended 6-6 last year, we'll more than likely be 5-7 this year. We haven't lost talent. The only (ONLY) difference that i see this year is we cannot get the upper edge on come from behind victories like last year. Alexander does not run with authority, and our d-line cannot penetrate. That's it in a nutshell. ACS is doing anything and everything he can to make something happen. Bolger and Leonard prove again today that they really can't break out for anything, they are just possession receivers. What we need is a D. Sampson or V. Brown. Just one would make a huge difference. Just one play maker other than our QB. yes, we need to blitz more if our d line cannot get the job done. that is d coord's fault. Does anybody else see anything any different?

I'm not taking side on the stupid personal attacks. But I actually am dissappointed in the season this year and do expect us to do better than we have in year 2. I don't expect us to win the conference, but I do expect us to be better than 0-5 in conference with only 1 win over a division 1 team. Maybe we will win the next 3 and the final record will be respectable (if you can consider a losing record respectable), but there is no guarantee that we will win the next 3. I think it is very reasonable for fans to expect to go 6-6 every year. Half the teams every year go to a bowl, and frankly thats my minimum expectation for the team every year, regardless of coaching changes or strength of schedule.

I would like to get to the point where 6-6 is our bad years, and even in year 2 of coaches we start making bowl games regularly. There are teams out there that get new coaches, and still are competitive, and make bowl games in coaches second years. Navy and Airforce, who cant really recruit make bowl games almost every year, and yet we cant.

As far as progress, I actually think we have taken a step back from last year. As bad as our offensive line was last year with ACS scrambling, I think they are worse this year. The recievers, qbs, defensive backs, and linebackers seem the same. Its hard to tell on the defensive line as some weeks they do good against the run and others bad. Statistically, we are the same or worse in every category on both sides of the ball. But IMO due to the drop off in the offensive line we have taken a step back, and is that the key reason we don't have 4th quarter comebacks this season.

I personally would like to see progress from year 1 to year 2, but I really don't see much in any area except special teams. It looks to me to be the same team as last year, but with worse blocking. I really hope we actually see some improvement next year. And next year I do expect us to be in bowl game. I don't think at least a 6-6 record in year 3 of a staff is too high of expectations

WyomingAg said:
I'm not taking side on the stupid personal attacks. But I actually am dissappointed in the season this year and do expect us to do better than we have in year 2. I don't expect us to win the conference, but I do expect us to be better than 0-5 in conference with only 1 win over a division 1 team. Maybe we will win the next 3 and the final record will be respectable (if you can consider a losing record respectable), but there is no guarantee that we will win the next 3. I think it is very reasonable for fans to expect to go 6-6 every year. Half the teams every year go to a bowl, and frankly thats my minimum expectation for the team every year, regardless of coaching changes or strength of schedule.

I would like to get to the point where 6-6 is our bad years, and even in year 2 of coaches we start making bowl games regularly. There are teams out there that get new coaches, and still are competitive, and make bowl games in coaches second years. Navy and Airforce, who cant really recruit make bowl games almost every year, and yet we cant.

As far as progress, I actually think we have taken a step back from last year. As bad as our offensive line was last year with ACS scrambling, I think they are worse this year. The recievers, qbs, defensive backs, and linebackers seem the same. Its hard to tell on the defensive line as some weeks they do good against the run and others bad. Statistically, we are the same or worse in every category on both sides of the ball. But IMO due to the drop off in the offensive line we have taken a step back, and is that the key reason we don't have 4th quarter comebacks this season.

I personally would like to see progress from year 1 to year 2, but I really don't see much in any area except special teams. It looks to me to be the same team as last year, but with worse blocking. I really hope we actually see some improvement next year. And next year I do expect us to be in bowl game. I don't think at least a 6-6 record in year 3 of a staff is too high of expectations

Well, so far, how is this year any different from last excluding the toss up game with sdsu? We beat SUU much like weber last year. We lose to a national title contender at home in BSU last year, Texas. We lose on the road in big twelve country to Texas this year, we lost to CU in Boulder last year. We beat a middle of the pack Sun belt team in FAU, This year we beat the middle of the pack MAC team in Toledo. Conference wise, We lose in a battle with AFA, we played them close last year and lost as well. We then lose to TCU much like we did last year. And in the fact we had to play down there and we get shut out. Results...About the same. Utah is the main difference. We played them close last year in SLC, this year they took us behind the woodshed. Big difference but the same results comparing these two years, We play byu close and lose in provo, last year we get shutout and blown out at home.
I call sdsu a toss up because both teams are evenly matched. Wyoming and sdsu had a lot riding on last year and wyo prevailed, wyo had a lot riding on this one and couldn't pull through. I see no difference in the next three games. i think unm will be a win, unlv will be a close win and csu is in Laramie. And being so, I think we win it easier than last year. the boot will stay in Wyoming. We will be 5-7 (only difference, sdsu)(if they don't throw in the towel and play to win) The team is even better next year with some good talent coming in. I'm really like the germans, Shober and the new guy we're bringing in next year. I can't get enough of scouting his video. (My coaching instincts) But I think he will be the real deal at safety maybe even see him do some WR? Who knows. But this team will be better next year.

Well, so far, how is this year any different from last excluding the toss up game with sdsu? We beat SUU much like weber last year. We lose to a national title contender at home in BSU last year, Texas. We lose on the road in big twelve country to Texas this year, we lost to CU in Boulder last year. We beat a middle of the pack Sun belt team in FAU, This year we beat the middle of the pack MAC team in Toledo. Conference wise, We lose in a battle with AFA, we played them close last year and lost as well. We then lose to TCU much like we did last year. And in the fact we had to play down there and we get shut out. Results...About the same. Utah is the main difference. We played them close last year in SLC, this year they took us behind the woodshed. Big difference but the same results comparing these two years, We play byu close and lose in provo, last year we get shutout and blown out at home.
I call sdsu a toss up because both teams are evenly matched. Wyoming and sdsu had a lot riding on last year and wyo prevailed, wyo had a lot riding on this one and couldn't pull through. I see no difference in the next three games. i think unm will be a win, unlv will be a close win and csu is in Laramie. And being so, I think we win it easier than last year. the boot will stay in Wyoming. We will be 5-7 (only difference, sdsu)(if they don't throw in the towel and play to win) The team is even better next year with some good talent coming in. I'm really like the germans, Shober and the new guy we're bringing in next year. I can't get enough of scouting his video. (My coaching instincts) But I think he will be the real deal at safety maybe even see him do some WR? Who knows. But this team will be better next year.

I didn't say it was any different except in my opinion worse blocking. I would have liked to seen good or even some improvement between year 1 and year 2 but haven't really seen it, and I agree it is basically the same team. I sure hope next year we see some improvement. Regardless, this year and again next year my minimum expectations were/are 6-6 and a bowl game, and I hope to see improvement in all aspects of the game.

I am dissappointed that we switched our offense from the spread during the AF game and it took till the fourth quarter at byu to start playing it again. I like how our offense moved the ball today and I really think that would help our offense develop. I still the next three games are important because it gives a relatively young team expearince and helps us develop the spread a little more. If we can put up thirty points a game than next year could be exciting. That being said I think if we suck it up for the last 3 than we DC has to look into upgrading his coaching staff.

Not to get in a pissing match here but I'm not sure how you can say things aren't that bad, really? Just a few things right off the top that concern me.
1. We are DEAD LAST in the conference.
2. Hoke inherited a team that went 2-10 in 08, he is now right behind Utah/TCU. Where did he get the extra time to get all the players in place? Kinda blows your theory about "We all want results fast, but it just can't happen." Seems to me SDSU is getting results.
3. 10, countem, 10 penalties? Are you kidding me? The 9th game of the season and we have false starts, and hits out of bounds. Those are stupid penalties that demonstrate a lack of focus and preparation.
4. Is the coaching staff every going to play to win before the half? Very concerning to me, especially the Air Force game when we had significant time to score.

We will know in time if DC is worth his salt.

Wind River Poke said:
Not to get in a pissing match here but I'm not sure how you can say things aren't that bad, really? Just a few things right off the top that concern me.
1. We are DEAD LAST in the conference.
You're not the only pissed about it, but I think that will last nly a week more.

. Hoke inherited a team that went 2-10 in 08, he is now right behind Utah/TCU. Where did he get the extra time to get all the players in place? Kinda blows your theory about "We all want results fast, but it just can't happen." Seems to me SDSU is getting results.
SDSU is also right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed with USC and UCLA both down. Wyoming has to recruit heavily from other states, like Colorado, that already have other Div. 1 schools in them.

3. 10, countem, 10 penalties? Are you kidding me? The 9th game of the season and we have false starts, and hits out of bounds. Those are stupid penalties that demonstrate a lack of focus and preparation.
Seems to me that most penalties in nearly every game come from the flase starts fom the O-line. Not sure what to do about that.
4. Is the coaching staff every going to play to win before the half? Very concerning to me, especially the Air Force game when we had significant time to score.
I honestly don't know. I hope they do, but with the brutal schedule this year without a bye week, it is about the only rest they can get.
We will know in time if DC is worth his salt.
I think he is. Look at how the offense erupted (in a good way) today. Yes, there are still problems, like the false starts at the beginning of almost every game, but there are improvements. And going from a power rushing game to the spread does take time, more so than just getting some players to push aside a defender for a downhill running game. The recievers need to have speed (Leonard and Bolger are decent, but they are not speedsters), the RBs will go East/West more so than not (unless on draw plays), and the O-line, well, it really hasn't been all that good since either 2006 or 2004.

Hoke also had brown out the majority of the season last year with an injury. If he was healthy when the Pokes headed to SD last year, we lose that game. He also transitioned them into running this year. Hillman was a good pickup for them. That being said, they went 5-7 last year, this year? Their 6-2...And i'm still claiming that it's only because they played a pussy schedule! :o
That's right Nicholls St. 2-6; New Mexico State 2-6; Utah State 2-5(soon to be 6), Missou their only quality opponent at 7-1 lost; AFA 5-4 ranked and won That was the game I'll give them that showed any salt at all that they might be good(but tew was out with a broken leg); BYU 3-5 lost(I agree should have won on bad call); New Mexico 0-8 won by 10; Wyo 2-7 won by 10. Total overall record of opponents: 23-42 ( soon to be 43) That is how Hoke has had success! Give us the exact same schedule and we'd probably be 5-3 right now. Hoke hasn't done anything great yet. DC has done decent with what he's had to play against. Wyoming's opponents overall record as of tonight: SUU 5-4, Texas 4-4, BSU 7-0, AFA 5-4, Tol 6-3, TCU 8-0, Utah 8-0, BYU 3-5, sdsu 6-2 total: 52-22!!! Wyo's SOS 52-22, SDSU's SOS 23-42. And then you say we suck. HA! We just played a majority of the best teams in the nation.

Pussy schedule or not, would you rather be in SDSU's current position schedule-wise or ours? I would take their position in a heartbeat. I've said all along SDSU has a great schedule for the level of program they have right now. Its something you can build off of. (But I don't think our problems have as much to do with the schedule as some want to think.)

calpoke25 said:
Pussy schedule or not, would you rather be in SDSU's current position schedule-wise or ours? I would take their position in a heartbeat. I've said all along SDSU has a great schedule for the level of program they have right now. Its something you can build off of. (But I don't think our problems have as much to do with the schedule as some want to think.)

The schedule looks much more reasonable next year. Nebraska in Laramie is the toughy and the rest are mostly winnable. Just need to get some hosses in there on the lines. The recent DE pickup, could help and hopefully some of the younger bucks can improve. We need to put a pass rush on the opposing QB. If we had a decent rush, Lindley doesn't complete many of those bombs he did yesterday. Next year SDSU won't have all those weapons, except for that frosh rb who has been good. But, Brown, Sampson and their 300+ yards of receiving are gone.

We need a good class DC.

calpoke25 said:

Calpoke, tell me, would you go to a USU game in Laramie? How about New Mexico st? I've got some numbers for you...Ready? SUU won 28-20 attend:20,043; weber st won 29-22 attend: 18,016; Ohio won 21-20 attend:20,430; NDSU won 16-13 attend:19,156; Bowling Green lost 16-45 attend 17,411; Utah st. won 32-18 attend:19,443. There you go...5-1 played a bunch of nobodies and couldn't fill the stands. These are ooc home games from 2007 till now.
How about the good big programs? BSU lost 6-51 attend: 29,014; Texas lost 10-41 attend:31,017; Virginia won 23-3 attend: 31,117. that's since 2007. now let's see, 1-2 (not bad) everyone of them sellouts! Not bad.
Which do you think helps you more? Recruiting wise, winning wise, financially? Think about it.

kansasCowboy said:
Calpoke, tell me, would you go to a USU game in Laramie? How about New Mexico st? I've got some numbers for you...Ready? SUU won 28-20 attend:20,043; weber st won 29-22 attend: 18,016; Ohio won 21-20 attend:20,430; NDSU won 16-13 attend:19,156; Bowling Green lost 16-45 attend 17,411; Utah st. won 32-18 attend:19,443. There you go...5-1 played a bunch of nobodies and couldn't fill the stands. These are ooc home games from 2007 till now.
How about the good big programs? BSU lost 6-51 attend: 29,014; Texas lost 10-41 attend:31,017; Virginia won 23-3 attend: 31,117. that's since 2007. now let's see, 1-2 (not bad) everyone of them sellouts! Not bad.
Which do you think helps you more? Recruiting wise, winning wise, financially? Think about it.

You're making my point for me. Who do you think has a leg up in recruiting right now? 6-2 SDSU or 2-7 Wyoming? You think recruits care to come here because we sell out once a year against a top team and mostly get blown out? What about when we can't even get 16K in the stands against a top 5 TCU team last year? Or can't even get 17K for a good SDSU team? We probably won't get 20K against our arch-rival CSU.

People want to play for winners, not a once a year sell-out. I'm not sure what your point is, our attendance sucks either way and is the biggest thing holding our program back.

I don't even think we're debating the same point. My main concern is whether we are heading the right direction on the field.

Latest posts

Back