• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Offense Shows Signs of Life

TheRealUW

I was back in Sheridan for the weekend, so I decided to make the trip down to Laramie to check out the scrimmage first hand. Here are my thoughts:

- ACS looked good...scary good. He didn't make a single bad decision. Crum has improved, but not enough for us to get to a bowl game with him. We need ACS to stay healthy.

- It's easy to see Herron's big play capability. He looked OK on traditional running plays, but I think our best bet is to get him the ball in open space and let him create. DC must be thinking the same thing because the first play the #1 offense had was a hook and ladder to Herron. He also had a big gain on a screen play later in the scrimmage. Davis had a couple of nice runs with the #1 offense as well. Alexander worked with the #2 offense today. Once "Kongo" is back from his knee injury, RB may be the strongest/deepest position on the team.

- I REALLY like the looks of Aiken at WR. His athleticism and height (6'3) make him an ideal target in the redzone. If he can polish up his route running skills, he has the raw talent to be a force in the MWC. Leonard looked good as well, especially on the short to intermediate routes. He doesn't get a ton of separation from the DB's, but he does a good job of shielding the ball from the defender with his body. Ogbonna looked good as well. McNeill was quiet today, but I think he will get his fair share of passes. Bolger worked with the one's but seems to be moving down the depth chart as he has been quiet all fall camp.

- I was pleasantly surprised with how the #1 offensive line played. I thought they gave ACS good time to throw the ball and opened up a few nice running lanes for the backs. Their ability to continually improve will have a big impact on how this offense performs as a whole this year. Starters were Kirven, Hutchins, Carlson, Sterner, and Leonard.

- Saw Schober boot two kick-offs. One went just beyond the goaline and would have been returned by most teams. The other went 6 or 7 yards deep into the endzone and most likely would have been a touchback. It's an interesting thing to watch, as he starts so damn close to the ball, but I'll take the results. Gives the opposing offense firther to drive and should help our own offense as far as overall field position. McCoy really struggled with FG kicking. Had another blocked which may have had something to do with a bad snap/hold, but its clear that he doesn't get the initial lift on the ball that Watts does. I wouldn't trust McCoy anywhere outside of 30 yards. Watts looked SOLID. I didn't see him miss a FG, and he was kicking some of them from nearly 40 yards out. McCoy worked on both rugby style punts and traditional punts. He looked decent with a few boomers in there.

- Overall, I thought the offense took a big step forward today. They really cut down on the penalties which helped them keep drives alive. I'm hoping to see more of the same from the last scrimmage next Wednesday. I got a few things I need to get done, but I'll post my thoughts on what I saw from the defense later.

Thanks for the recap so far, sounds like a solid offensive effort. I too am curious about what Kongo will do when he comes back from injury and suspension.

A few people on this board seemed seriously concerned about our offense in the early scrimmage. Our offense will be good if not great and it is a good sign to see our offense take a step forward even when the defense knows what plays are coming. Our offense will be fine, and it shows that there was no need to worry earlier in fall camp.

I agree. I was there and it was pretty impressive by out #1 O, today. There was even one play where Herron had a good 7yds behind the entire secondary and ACS just barely overthrew him....everyone was at the edge of their seats after that play. This could be a really good season, in all honesty.

Here are some highlights from the defensive side of the ball:

- We have a very good tackling secondary. They all have really great instincts and attack the ball well. They provide a lot more run support than many secondary's I've watched. However, while I do think they are an OK to good coverage secondary, I'm not convinced we should be putting these guys in a lot of one-on-one coverage. Good receivers can still beat these guys deep and they are out of position from time to time in their zone coverages. I do think Tashaun is the better overall cornerback between the Gipson brothers.

- I'm not totally sure what to think of the linebackers at this point. I noticed all of them are a bit slow to get off of blocks which could be because they are undersized. I saw safeties making the play in the box rather than the linebackers and that worries me a bit, but they seem to have played better in previous scrimmages. Their speed does allow them to keep contain much better and assist more in pass coverage. Schober especially stood out in the pass coverage with a pick six and another deflected pass to prevent a touchdown. If Muhammad could bulk up another 10-15 pounds, I think he could be a real gem at linebacker.

- This may sound crazy but I actually think DT is the strong point of our defensive line. I thought both Purcell and Mertens looked strong inside and stood up well against the big boys on the O-line. I think they both have a bit more speed than a lot of centers and guards are going to be used to and could get to the QB often. I was a bit disappointed in Biezuns and Knapton. I was expecting big things out of those two at DE, but they both made the plays that they needed to. In a 4-3 defense, the bulk of the pressure on the QB is designed to come from the DE's, so I'll be looking for Knapton and Biezuns to step up their pass rush.

dapokes said:
I agree. I was there and it was pretty impressive by out #1 O, today. There was even one play where Herron had a good 7yds behind the entire secondary and ACS just barely overthrew him....everyone was at the edge of their seats after that play. This could be a really good season, in all honesty.

I just wonder with the deep threat if ACS has the arm or accuracy. Assuming he even has time to throw. This is my biggest concern.

23handicap said:
dapokes said:

I just wonder with the deep threat if ACS has the arm or accuracy. Assuming he even has time to throw. This is my biggest concern.
:roll:

I love how some of this gowyogo BS :willybs: pessimism filters on over here constantly. It was really hard to tell if he was overthrown or if Herron held up a little to locate the ball. Regardless they were talking about it on the sideline. 23handicap-why do you make all these stupid comments when you haven't seen it for yourself? I know I'm not the only one thats noticed this about you. :brick:

Well for the past 10yrs we've had an anaemic offense. I would at least like an objective view as to know what to expect for the season. But I understand now, it's hard to see through foggy glasses.

I think our offense will be much improved this year. Both the OL and WR's are trying to find their groove. Our WR's are definitely much improved in the size, speed, and talent department. They just need to find their rhythm, be assignment sound and get the playbook down. Our RB's are definitely much faster with the incoming freshman.

The only thing that is going to keep this offense back is our schedule. As everyone knows, it is pretty brutal to start with.

Defensively I love the speed that is being developed/brought in. We have a good mix of youth and experience. I do agree that I want to see how our new DE's do in the pass rush department.

KansasPoke said:
The only thing that is going to keep this offense back is our schedule. As everyone knows, it is pretty brutal to start with.

I'll say! I know preseason ranking don't amount to much at times but with 3 of the Cowboys opponents in the preseason top 10 the schedule is down right brutal and the conference as a whole is as good as it's been in quite some time.

If we can keep our heads up and go about our business... we should be in much better position to win against the easier half of our schedule. That is why so many Poke fans still see 6 or 7 wins. We know Utah, BYU, BSU, TCU, and Texas are going to be brutal. We just need to take care of business against CSU, UNLV, SDSU, UNM, Toledo, S. Utah, and more importantly Air Force. We beat Air Force and take care of the other teams we are suppose to beat, then we will be likely sitting 4th in the conference and have at least 7 wins.

Latest posts

Back