• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

New Recruit should interest Wyokie

WYCowboy

Here is a link to a story from the Hawaiian newspaper about a new recruit for UW:

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/highschoolbeat/20081212_high_school_all_stars_get_together.html

He chose UW over byu, unlv, and utah. It is about the 2nd story down on the page.

Here it is:

By Paul Honda

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 12, 2008
(Single Page View) | Return to Paginated View

Kaimuki senior Trendt Marsom is going country.

Marsom is no country singer, though. The safety/wide receiver verbally committed to Wyoming yesterday, giving the Cowboys their first local recruit in decades.

"I don't think they've had a Hawaii guy since the 1970s," former Kaimuki coach Darren Johnson said, referring to Kahuku alumnus Paul Nunu, an All-WAC linebacker for Wyoming in 1976.

The new coaching staff at Wyoming includes former New Mexico State assistant Mike Fonoga. Two years ago, Fonoga was instrumental in recruiting several local prospects to the Aggies campus.

"I'm not surprised. He has a good track record of the kids," Johnson said.

Marsom was a key defender in the secondary for Kaimuki, which reached the playoffs on its return to the OIA Red Conference. He also had seven receptions for 93 yards in part-time duty at receiver.

Marsom turned down offers from BYU, UNLV and Utah, Johnson said.

Great find. Fanoga could be a huge addition to this staff. If he can pull in a couple of huge, nasty islanders for the O and D lines, it would be great. This is great to hear that he beat out BYU and Utah for this kid.

Scout.com link: http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3158055
They have his first name as Tonka though?

Rivals link: http://wyoming.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=85098&sport=1

Stats:

Safety
2 Stars, Rivals
2 Stars, Scout.com
6-0, 195
4.5 40
Rivals lists him as #12 in the Hawaii top 15

On a related Fanoga recruiting note I came across this in the Las Cruces Sun-News

Las Cruces High quarterback Dante Caro got his first offer recently from New Mexico State, while Bulldawgs running back James Hall Jr. has received offers from NMSU, Army and Air Force. Now it appears that both could be receiving interest from Wyoming.

The connection? Wyoming just hired former NMSU defensive line coach Mike Fanoga to be its outside linebackers coach.

Dante Caro Rivals Link: http://wyoming.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=83388
Could be the dual-threat to run the spread, but he doesn't look like he is getting much D-1 interest.

James Hall Rivals Link: http://wyoming.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=83379

GREAT find Now I can drive my Hawaii buddies insane! They have a real low opinion of the Mountain West so.....

WYCowboy said:
Wyokie said:
GREAT find Now I can drive my Hawaii buddies insane! They have a real low opinion of the Mountain West so.....

Maybe this is just the beginning!

Hope so. Our only All-American during the 1970s was from Hawaii, Paul Nunu.

This guy was just a leftover, all the top players in the state are headed to Hawaii. Except for Te'o who sounds BYU bound

J-Rod said:
This guy was just a leftover, all the top players in the state are headed to Hawaii. Except for Te'o who sounds BYU bound

I knew you were going to post on this thread. I just knew it!

Wyokie said:
J-Rod said:

I think it is a mistake to bring Islanders here to UW, unless they are of the highest caliber player (4* or 5* scout ranking...and yes, who cares about rivals * rankings, you can never trust them and they always change depending on the school the athlete signs with).

It is not only for the "homesickness situation" but the weather & climate is always a factor. And for those of you that will say, "Ya, but Paul Nunu...blah blah blah" remember Wyoming played the vaunted Rainbow Warriors 3 out of 4 years on the island back then...so it was a free trip to see mom & pops more often.

Yep, and I said Rainbow Warriors. They will always be Rainbow Warriors to me.

McPeachy said:
Wyokie said:
J-Rod said:

I think it is a mistake to bring Islanders here to UW, unless they are of the highest caliber player (4* or 5* scout ranking...and yes, who cares about rivals * rankings, you can never trust them and they always change depending on the school the athlete signs with).

It is not only for the "homesickness situation" but the weather & climate is always a factor. And for those of you that will say, "Ya, but Paul Nunu...blah blah blah" remember Wyoming played the vaunted Rainbow Warriors 3 out of 4 years on the island back then...so it was a free trip to see mom & pops more often.

Yep, and I said Rainbow Warriors. They will always be Rainbow Warriors to me.

That name died with that era a long time ago now.

I agree though, I don't think this is a good commit for Wyoming, if your going to pick a small time player like that you may as well stay home and give it to a local Wyomingite.

Latest posts

Back