• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

More Expansion coming?

The really funny thing about that post is the assumed excitement that we'll get "double" the TV money per team with this supposed new deal. Excellent! Two peanuts instead of one!

And looking at the guesses at potential divisional setups later in the thread is just depressing.

I really hope that they are wrong. Because I don't see Utep or USU being any good to the conference. If we want to get two good programs that will bring in money for tv revenue and also great recruiting, we should look at Houston or Tulsa. Or both. That gives us Houston for tv (hell of a lot more that SLC and Provo) and a Texas school for recruiting. And getting Tulsa would help by getting tv revenue for Tulsa and OKC as well as we can recruit better in the midwest.

There is a school that you don't hear much about that I think would make a better addition than many that are being mentioned. If we are wanting to keep a presence in Texas, check out UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio). They have a large enrollment, located in a large metro area, and recently upgraded their athletic facilities. They don't compete with any pro teams for the media in their city. I don't have any agenda for adding teams in Texas other than it might help our recruiting there.

WYCowboy said:
There is a school that you don't hear much about that I think would make a better addition than many that are being mentioned. If we are wanting to keep a presence in Texas, check out UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio). They have a large enrollment, located in a large metro area, and recently upgraded their athletic facilities. They don't compete with any pro teams for the media in their city. I don't have any agenda for adding teams in Texas other than it might help our recruiting there.

If we are talking about expansion in 2014, then sure, we can talk about UTSA. But until they are actually a FBS team, there is no way the MWC should even approach adding them to the conference. This school hasn't even played their first game as a football program yet (scheduled for this fall). They will be an FCS independent for 2 seasons, then a full season transitioning to FBS status. Sure the name Larry Coker might be able to recruit a couple of decent players, but there is no way UTSA recruits even half the talent of any of the other established Texas universities until well into their FBS career.

Caveat: If we are talking non-football schools, then I can possibly see adding UTSA as their other programs are established, and have been playing in the Southland Conference for many years now. However, if the goal is exposure then you have to ask how many people in south Texas would be interested in Wyoming/CSU basketball (men's or women's) or SDSU/UNLV baseball/softball for the .Mtn to take hold in San Antonio?

Latest posts

Back