• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Keys to the Game

evilpoke

1. Play smart football. No stupid penalties, no dumb turnovers. Let New Mexico make the mistakes (which they've shown to do) and take advantage.
2. Jump on New Mexico early. They've had a rough start to say the least, and jumping up by double digits early could crush any confidence.
3. Good o-line play. Keep ACS upright, open up some holes on the outside (not holding my breath on the inside) and refrain from offsides/bad holding penalties.

Prediction? Wyoming 34, UNM 23

1. Limit the mistakes, ie penalties. Can't throw away yards.
2. Get some pressure on NM Qb. Been giving opposing QB s too much time to find receivers.
3. Continue to berate opposing coaches after the game. Seems like a good strategy.

oh and #4. Get the kickoffs to the endzone!!!!

Get off to a good start! If the Pokes can get an early lead, I think they can deflate UNM. I say this because I would think that UNM wants to prove their 0-5 record wrong and furthermore to rally around their coach. Locksley is under a lot of heat this week from UNM.

A long drive and touchdown out of the gate would be a great way to demoralize UNM. They already are used to losing this season, let's put this game away in the first half.

Here is the weather forcast for the game:

Game time temp - 24 degrees
70% chance of precipitation
17 mph wind out of the north

On offense - Keep moving the ball, take advantage of any turnovers or good field position, score on them a lot and early... and by the end of the day score more points than they do. Get the lobos down early, and keep them down. It would be nice not to get into another shootout or come from behind win in the 4th quarter, but a win would be a win regardless. Also, don't turn the ball over, and have a bunch bad penalties. The offense has really started to come together the last few weeks, and they need to keep rolling with it.

On Defense - Defense needs to step up this week. Yes, they've made some big plays when they've had to, and done a good job of forcing turnovers. However, this season they've given up a lot of yards and some big plays, and have come out flat a couple of times - CU and FAU scored quickly and easily on their opening drives. Wyoming's D needs to make a statement, and play a solid 4 quarters. The lobos are starting to get some things going and are desperate for a win. So, I think the defense needs to knock them down early - short drives, turnovers, not letting porterie and the offense find a rythym. Don't let them get big plays, or put long drives together, otherwise it will keep them in the game longer. Beat them down early and keep them there.

I'm going to say 42-21 wyoming, I think the cowboys still win, but I do think it will probably be closer. I just want it to be more of blowout because it looks better for the cowboys, and theres been quite a few people on new mexico's board not only predicting this as new mexico's first win, but some people have them winning by 2-3 scores; in some of their predictions wyoming was only scoring about 10 or 13 points. I think I even saw one post that referred to wyoming's offense as "sputtering." Apparently they have not paid attention the past two weeks. So hopefully the pokes come out and bury them early.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I think one other interesting factor is that DC and Locksley have met when DC was at Mizzou, and Locksley at Illinois. Both of those games were won by Missouri, but both were close and high scoring - so this could be a very interesting game to watch.

GO POKES!!!!

KEEP WINNING THE TURNOVER BATTLE!!
Stop their running game, b/c their passing game sucks.
GET FIRST DOWNS!!

Hey all. I have "refrained" from loggin in and adding my 2 cents, but I was reading some of the prior posts and thought...what the hell...so here is my Keys to the game.

1. Get away from running the ball on first down. Dont be afraid of a screen play on first down. It just may work.

2. Give our freshman some time....

3. Defensively....BENCH GIPSON....#2....HE GOT KILLED AGAINST WEBBER, TEXAS, AND AGAINST FAU. I was at the FAU game...if this kid is the best we have, then we are in for a long season. Add up all the yards he has given away. He is generally out of position, a step behind, and tries to strip instead of making a tackle. Bench him. We will be much better in the secondary.

4. Dont be afraid to throw the 5 yard over the middle passes, even in the cold and wind. UNM is blitzing alot...pick them apart in the middle.

5. IMO, the coaches have not yet developed a killer instince. GO FOR THE THROAT early and often. Dont let UNM breath.

Wyo-34 UNM-10

Hey all. I have "refrained" from loggin in and adding my 2 cents, but I was reading some of the prior posts and thought...what the hell...so here is my Keys to the game.

1. Get away from running the ball on first down. Dont be afraid of a screen play on first down. It just may work.

2. Give our freshman some time....

3. Defensively....BENCH GIPSON....#2....HE GOT KILLED AGAINST WEBBER, TEXAS, AND AGAINST FAU. I was at the FAU game...if this kid is the best we have, then we are in for a long season. Add up all the yards he has given away. He is generally out of position, a step behind, and tries to strip instead of making a tackle. Bench him. We will be much better in the secondary.

4. Dont be afraid to throw the 5 yard over the middle passes, even in the cold and wind. UNM is blitzing alot...pick them apart in the middle.

5. IMO, the coaches have not yet developed a killer instince. GO FOR THE THROAT early and often. Dont let UNM breath.

Wyo-34 UNM-10

Great post and completely agree a screen pass is a great idea

I think the score predictions have been way high. I say 20 - 21 NM.

Yes, I want the Pokes to win, but I want to see them do it first. Didn't the weather stink the last time at home and they out played us. We haven't played in bad weather either and I'm still not sold on trying to run the spread offense in really bad weather. If they tighten up the formations and use some motion to create a lead blocker for the RB's and stay inside the tackles, I would be very pleased and think it would change my prediction.

Our kicking game is below average and field position will be critical. Our punter has been good, but your asking a lot of him to make good kicks in this environment. The coaching staff can't put the punter in that position. As far as field goals and PAT's...I'll have to see a kicker be consistent for an entire season before I'll place any faith in any of them.

Latest posts

Back