• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Just my 2 cents

You have to throw contested balls to the wide receivers. The windows might be small but that is the level of this competition. The oline is good enough. Probably the best part of the offense at this point. I dont believe hughes has the vision to complete these passes, so that would be the change I would make. If a receiver is 1 on 1 you have to make that throw way more than we do, otherwise the defense will just sit in single high safety the whole game.

This has frustrated me for a long time going back to most of Bohl's time. Not only do you keep the safeties honest, but I think you have to regularly challenge CBs (especially subpar ones) to cover 1 on 1 without getting flagged. We never ever draw those flags but our DBs seem to get called for them regularly.
 
Its pretty clear that this offense isn't gonna get better without better line play. That will only come with experience but there is something the coaches can do now to help.
First move Frendt to WR. He's fast and quick enough and his size would cause problems for defensive backs.
Leave Wilson where he is.
Play Siddons and/or Schoenfeld as extra blockers. Both are about 260 pound kids who don't mind sticking their nose into a block. Pace would be another option or as an H back. He is young but does a pretty good job.
It makes no sense to me to play several wide receivers if the O lone can't give Hughes the time to get the ball off.
Tear me up if you like but that's how I se it
Since we are on the topic, the receivers need to actually catch the ball, especially when it hits their hands. Hughes has some issues, but they tend to get worse after throwing decent passes to receivers, only for them to drop them, killing momentum, confidence, and play calling.

Headed back to the basement since I haven't made play calls in front of 50,000.
 
Go rewatch the NDSU game. Focus on the pad level of the Oline. They were getting stood up and pushed back about 90% of the time. These guys are either weak or haven’t been taught the skills to block properly.
I've been saying that Tripodi is an atrocious OL coach since he got here. I think he's the weakest link on a very weak coaching staff.
 
Back
Top