• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

HIRE AN INTERIM COACH FOR A YEAR

theman

I agree with the small time thinking BS. If we can't fork out enough cash to get exactly who we want, then hire an interim coach for a year and continue the search. If we take the attitude of having to wait until the "better programs" get their coach then we will be an irrelevant program for the rest of everyones lives here on Earth. Everyone who believes and acts like a mid major should be fired. Nothing makes me more sick than fans/coaches etc.. who act like a mid-major. There are plenty here.

If we can't get a top coach, wait a year and pay up. We dont' want to take a chance with our 5th choice coach for 5 years.

I wonder how well a 1- year coach could recruit? You would have a horrible recruiting class that would be very difficult to recover from.

I can't think of a single coach worth anything who would be interested in that kind of set-up.

theman said:
If we can't get a top coach, wait a year and pay up.

I don't think that's the answer for reasons billings brought up and myriad others. The point of my previous post wasn't to say that we MUST go out and get a "top coach." Rather, it was to point out the small-time thinking that has led the search to take this long. IMO, any AD should always have a short list of top candidates in their top drawer for EVERY coaching position. This is a volatile field, and you have to have a plan in place.

At this point, there's no reason for this search to take any longer than tomorrow, unless we're getting played by the candidates in the pool. My point was that we don't need to be playing second fiddle, and if Burman is allowing that to happen, it may be time to consider a new AD. It's time to fish or cut bait.

GO POKES!

I understand everyone wants a coach now but this really hasn't taken too long. Half of the coaches rumored to be on our list just finished playing this last weekend. What if the meeting in Virginia was not only for Taylor but Shaka Smart too! I don't think this happened but it could be possible that they met with both. It could be that the coaches are interested in multiple jobs and not wanting to commit just yet does that mean you wouldn't still want them?

Besides anyone that we hire (Taylor, Dunlap, Shyatt, Dooley, Cox, Gosar....) could not be worse than Schroyer!!!

I actually think the interim coach thing is a good idea. I'll bet Langley will stay. You just tell him "Langley, you are not the guy we want. But we will give you a one year contract. We both win - you get a resume as a head coach and we get a year to scout out who we want" (and maybe raise some real cash to pay for it).
Recruiting may be a problem, but it always has been recently.

No offense but this seems like a horrible idea. We HAVE the money to pay for the coach we want/ need. It's just about whether or not the University will pull the trigger. Why waste another year on Langly, ruin the support of fans etc.....there is no need for this. I will take Taylor, Dunlap, Dooley or Shyatt. All 4 of these coaches give us a chance to win next year, and Langley sure doesn't !!!!

SLCPoke said:
No offense but this seems like a horrible idea. We HAVE the money to pay for the coach we want/ need. It's just about whether or not the University will pull the trigger. Why waste another year on Langly, ruin the support of fans etc.....there is no need for this. I will take Taylor, Dunlap, Dooley or Shyatt. All 4 of these coaches give us a chance to win next year, and Langley sure doesn't !!!!

Its whether the University will pull the trigger??? Did it ever cross your mind that an offer from the University could get declined? Has it crossed your mind that maybe UW has pulled the trigger multiple times already and been rejected multiple times??

The point is it would be a mistake settling for our fifth choice because our top 4 choices all rejected our offer. Hire an Interim Coach for a year. This gives you time to do your homework, get your money together, and go after a great great hire that can lead UW to a National Power. You gotta think big. VCU's Shaka Smart as well as Butlers Coach both are D3 guys. There are great coaches out there, and everyone has a price. All 4 teams in the final four have 1 thing in common. EXCELLENT COACHING.

Maybe I should apply to become the new AD at Wyoming? :coffee:

theman said:
SLCPoke said:

Its whether the University will pull the trigger??? Did it ever cross your mind that an offer from the University could get declined? Has it crossed your mind that maybe UW has pulled the trigger multiple times already and been rejected multiple times??

The point is it would be a mistake settling for our fifth choice because our top 4 choices all rejected our offer. Hire an Interim Coach for a year. This gives you time to do your homework, get your money together, and go after a great great hire that can lead UW to a National Power. You gotta think big. VCU's Shaka Smart as well as Butlers Coach both are D3 guys. There are great coaches out there, and everyone has a price. All 4 teams in the final four have 1 thing in common. EXCELLENT COACHING.

Did it ever cross your mind that the Wyoming job may not be as horrible in the minds of a lot of coaches as you think? Has it crossed your mind that UW has maybe made offers and received no answers yet? No, you're just speculating and have no basis to back up anything in your statement. Quit crying wolf already before we even have any facts! You have no idea what is going on in the coaching search other than the flights we've heard about, and in fact i would take both coaches that we flew out to see. We have to wait and see what happens and I'll take any of the 4 main names mentioned over any D3 coach!! You honestly want them to hire a D3 coach???!!!? Thats no better than taking a chance on Gosar!!

theman said:
VCU's Shaka Smart as well as Butlers Coach both are D3 guys.

Are you sure about that statement? I'm pretty sure Stevens never coached at the D3 level, he was offered a volunteer position at Butler and worked his way up to the head coach there, the only school he's ever worked at. As far as Smart, I think he was graduate assistant at a D3, but started his "real" coaching career at the D1 level and worked his way up to the head coach at VCU.

SLCPoke said:
theman said:
SLCPoke said:

Did it ever cross your mind that the Wyoming job may not be as horrible in the minds of a lot of coaches as you think? Has it crossed your mind that UW has maybe made offers and received no answers yet? No, you're just speculating and have no basis to back up anything in your statement. Quit crying wolf already before we even have any facts! You have no idea what is going on in the coaching search other than the flights we've heard about, and in fact i would take both coaches that we flew out to see. We have to wait and see what happens and I'll take any of the 4 main names mentioned over any D3 coach!! You honestly want them to hire a D3 coach???!!!? Thats no better than taking a chance on Gosar!!

I have a feeling that is Joe Dooley is interested in the Missouri State job, then we will end up with a good coach. Not one of the guys, on the list most every Wyoming fan has heard of, has been hired to date. And, despite what some are throwing out, I don't think the Wyoming job has been rejected by anyone either.

gbpoke said:
theman said:
VCU's Shaka Smart as well as Butlers Coach both are D3 guys.

Are you sure about that statement? I'm pretty sure Stevens never coached at the D3 level, he was offered a volunteer position at Butler and worked his way up to the head coach there, the only school he's ever worked at. As far as Smart, I think he was graduate assistant at a D3, but started his "real" coaching career at the D1 level and worked his way up to the head coach at VCU.

Yes I'm sure. Unless Coach Smart was lying when he said it. D3 Guys doesn't necessarily mean they were D3 head coaches.

Latest posts

Back