• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Cowboy Tough on RB situation

I have to admit, I like the size of Tedder Easton. 5'11, 225 and RFr. He should be able to provide the occasional smashmouth up the middle running that Terry would have been used for. I'd love to hear more about this guy.

Asmodeanreborn said:
I have to admit, I like the size of Tedder Easton. 5'11, 225 and RFr. He should be able to provide the occasional smashmouth up the middle running that Terry would have been used for. I'd love to hear more about this guy.

No offense to Tedder, but he isn't cut out to be a D1 running back. Just doesn't have the skill set. Sounds like he got a walk-on offer because his dad took some dean postion at UW and he went to school with Christensen's son in Columbia, MO. I believe he was set to go to a DIII school to play defensive end before the walk-on offer from Christensen came.

I wasn't able to make it to the scrimmage on Saturday, but read about it in the following article in the Casper Star Tribune. It sounds like Meredith is a hard worker and a quick learner. After moving to the RB position only a week ago, he is looking good. Leonard led the receiving corps. Watts went 5 for 6 (missed a 49 yarder). Defense looked good too (3 sacks on ACS - and that isn't easy). DC was also pleased the penalties were far fewer than in previous scrims.

Meredith makes smooth transition to RB
Story
Discussion
By ERIC SCHMOLDT - Star-Tribune staff writer | Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:00 am | No Comments Posted
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
LARAMIE -- Andrew Meredith didn’t think twice about a mid-spring change of positions.
Less than a week after making the transition from defensive back to running back, the move paid off with the biggest highlight of Wyoming’s second spring scrimmage.
Meredith turned a run-of-the-mill off the right tackle into a 64-yard touchdown that included a stop-and-go move against a helpless defensive back, propelling the offense to a 62-25 victory over the defense at War Memorial Stadium on Saturday morning.
“By far that was the play of the day,” UW wide receiver David Leonard said. “He’s been working hard. He’s kind of got thrown into the fire, but he’s responded and he did a great job. It’s great to see someone who puts in a lot of effort and time reap some rewards.”
The Cowboys were running out of options.
Second-string running back Nehemie Kankolongo is out for the rest of spring with an injury and former captain Darius Terry and walk-on Duell Petsch left the program, leaving UW with Alvester Alexander as its only scholarship back to go along with walk-on Tedder Easton.
Meredith, a Green River native, played a little bit of running back in high school, but entered spring as a third-string cornerback for the Pokes.
“[Defensive backs coach Alex Grinch] came and talked to me and just asked me if I’d like to get some more playing time by playing some running back,” Meredith said. “I didn’t even really have to think about it. It was an opportunity for me to get more playing time if I took it.
“It’s been exciting.”
Meredith finished with 86 yards on seven carries and the long touchdown on what turned out to be a big day for the second-string offense.
Driving against the second-string defense, quarterback Dax Crum’s No. 2 offense was the only unit to find the end zone in a scrimmage that ran 67 plays.
The No. 1 offense had success moving the ball against the top defensive unit, but settled for four made field goals, one miss and a punt.
“I liked a lot of things on both sides of the ball,” UW coach Dave Christensen said. “[One side of the ball is] going to have more success than the other. What you want is a balance and I thought there was a balance.”
The edge certainly went to the No. 1 defense.
They gave up 146 yards but sacked Austyn Carta-Samuels three times and didn’t give up a single touchdown.
It was a welcome change for the top defensive unit, which faltered on third and fourth downs in a half scrimmage on April 1, the last time the first-stringers squared off against each other in live scrimmage action.
“I think they scored two touchdowns on the first two possessions and after that performance we weren’t too happy,” said defensive end Josh Biezuns, who had three tackles, two of them for loss, to go along with a sack and forced fumble. “We came together and said that we’ve got to pick it up.
“We did. We didn’t give up a touchdown or any big plays.”
In fact, the only play of longer than 24 yards came from the greenhorn running back.
Contact sports reporter Eric Schmoldt at [email protected]. Check out his blog at tribtown.trib.com/ESchmoldt/blog
COWBOYS TRACKER
SATURDAY: The Wyoming football team held its second spring scrimmage, running 67 plays outside at War Memorial Stadium.
BREAKOUT BACK: Green River’s Andrew Meredith, who converted from defensive back to running back just this week, had the play of the day on a 64-yard rushing touchdown that led the offense to a 62-25 victory over the defense.
HE SAID IT: “It was an opportunity for me to get more playing time if I took it.” -- Meredith.
MORE MEREDITH: For more comments on Meredith’s busy week, check out Eric Schmoldt’s blog at tribtown.trib.com/ESchmoldt/blog
NEXT: UW will host the 13th of 15 spring practices on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. It will host its spring game on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Actually, read in the Boomerang this morning that Meredith said it was tough and different being a RB and DC said that he may only stay as one until Fall when the other scholarship RB comes in (I forget the name at the moment).

fromolwyoming said:
Actually, read in the Boomerang this morning that Meredith said it was tough and different being a RB and DC said that he may only stay as one until Fall when the other scholarship RB comes in (I forget the name at the moment).

I believe he (Meredith) was recruited as an "athlete" and will probably learn several positions and may be asked to play several positions throughout his career at UW. What I like is he is willing to do that and so far it looks like he is capable of doing that. Hopefully, he will excel at one and move into that position as a starter at some point in his career.

fromolwyoming said:

UW actually brought in two RB's (Freshman):

Nehemie Kankolongo, who as we all know is enrolled now but injured and out the spring

Evan Williams, 5-11 185 pound rocket out of Minneapolis

And...

Darrenn White could be a RB, was recruited as an athlete, 6-0, 175, out of Kansas City

I'm excited to see if Evan Williams can earn any PT his freshman year. I was impressed by his recruiting tape, normally I don't give much credit to those things, but his seemed special. The kid has some moves.

Latest posts

Back