• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Auto accident takes life of Wyoming Player

WYCowboy

Here is the official UW release:

http://www.wyomingathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090610aaa.html

Sept. 6, 2010

LARAMIE, Wyo. -

One University of Wyoming student was killed and three were injured Monday when the vehicle they were in went off Highway 287 in Colorado shortly before 5:30 a.m.

Killed was Ruben Narcisse, 19, of Miami, Fla. Injured were Trey Fox, 19, of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; C.J. Morgan, 18, of Aurora, Colo.; and J.J. Quinlan, 19, of Everett, Wash.

The four were in a Toyota Tundra pickup traveling north approximately six miles south of the Wyoming state line when the driver of the vehicle apparently fell asleep at the wheel, according to the Colorado State Patrol. Colorado State Patrol spokesman Sgt. John Hahn said there is no evidence that drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash.

Narcisse and Morgan were taken to the Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland, Colo. Morgan remains in the hospital there in fair condition.

Quinlan and Fox were taken to Ivinson Memorial Hospital, in Laramie, Wyo., where they were treated and released.

All students involved in the accident are on the UW football team.

"The loss of any student saddens us immeasurably," UW President Tom Buchanan says. "My condolences go out to Ruben's family and friends. The entire university community grieves his loss."

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ruben's family," Athletics Director Tom Burman said. "Our thoughts are also with the students who were involved in the accident and their families as well. Sadly, this athletics department has experienced this kind of loss before, and we know how difficult it is for all involved."

Counseling support is being offered by University Counseling Center professionals, who are available to speak to team members and coaching staff, as well as any UW student who seeks counseling support.

"We're reaching out to our entire team and coaching staff," Coach Dave Christensen said. "It's a terrible tragedy, and a terrible loss. Our focus now is helping our team and staff deal with this tragedy and making sure the families of the young men involved know that we are here to support them in any way we can."

My heart (and I'm sure every other person in Wyoming) goes out to his family, his teammates, and friends. This goes way beyond football.

I was shocked when I saw this yesterday. Very sorry and very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the entire Wyo family.

I'm sure there will be some sort of remembrance at the game Saturday.

Article from TampaBay.com.. GREAT article.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/remembering-ruben-narcisse-1991-2010
You probably don't know Ruben Narcisse. Perhaps readers who closely follow USF recruiting remember the promising linebacker from Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood, who visited the Bulls in January with his close friend and teammate, fellow linebacker Hans Louis, who is now a USF freshman.

Narcisse died at age 19 early Monday morning, when a truck driven by one of his teammates drifted off a Colorado highway, not far from the Wyoming border. Narcisse, a freshman at Wyoming, was killed in the accident; his three teammates were injured but are expected to recover.

More from Gagliardi and the Trib Eagle:
http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2010/09/07/news/01top_09-07-10.txt
CHEYENNE -- University of Wyoming freshman linebacker Ruben Narcisse, 19, died early Monday morning in an automobile accident on U.S. Highway 287 south of Laramie.

Three other UW football players were in the vehicle: freshman receiver C.J. Morgan, 18, freshman cornerback Trey Fox, 19, and redshirt freshman linebacker J.J. Quinlan, 19.

Well, I posted earlier in this topic, and then it disappeared, but I'll say it again.

It's always awful when something like this happens, and it touches a lot of people. My prayers go out to family, friends, and the team. I really hope the person who was driving gets a ton of help and support, as this kind of thing can completely ruin your life.

I am so sorry to hear this. It is always a sad day when young lives are lost. The prayers of the Longhorn Nation are with you today.

Another article from ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5542618
CHEYENNE, Wyo. -- Wyoming coach Dave Christensen says his team is trying to maintain its normal routine to help players cope with the death of a teammate and prepare for the Cowboys' game against No. 5 Texas.

"We think it will help the kids get their mind on something different at different points of time throughout the day," Christensen said Tuesday during the Mountain West Conference's regular coach's conference call. "And we'll take it one day at a time. There's not a manual on how to do these things."

A sad, sad tragedy. A young man with great promise, on and off the field, taken from his family, friends, and WyoNation. It is so sad and I can't imagine how his family will deal with the loss. Tragic.

My hats are off to Texas fans for their outpouring of support. It is a tragedy for us all but especially for Ruben's family and close friends. They are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sorry for your loss, my condolences to the Narcisse family. It's tragic events like these that make you put aside rivalries, in the end it's only a football game.

Many people on Utefans.net have made mention to this tragic event and have also offered their condolences. A few of us tried yesterday to get on the board but it was down.

Again, i'm truly sorry for you loss.

GO COWBOYS!

Joe

My family's thoughts and prayers are with the Narcisse family. As a parent I couldn't think of anything more devastating and upsetting than to lose one of my kids. It is hard to understand how losing someone so young is part of gods plan. Again our prayers are with the Narcisse family and friends.

Would have posted about this yesterday on here, but the server was down. My condolences, prayers, and best wishes to his family, friends, and teammates.

I hadnt heard of this until last night just before the BSU game when they announced it on ESPN. My condolences to the family, team and everyone who knew Ruben.

Latest posts

Back