• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Adam Pittser recruiting diary

Cowduck

Not sure I've seen this posted anywhere, definitely worth a read. Some good stuff in there - sounds like our staff did a great job of swooping in and selling him hard.

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2010/09/3-Adam-Pittser-diary-1.aspx

I am really excited to see this kid committed to Wyoming. Although I take the rankings with a grain of salt, it's fun to look at ESPN's top 30 QBs and see Wyoming's name listed among the big boys. From reading some Wisconsin message boards I get the sense that Wisconsin was interested but never offered and lost out waiting for Jacoby Brissett to commit. This could be a huge get for the Pokes.

I see that rivals has him under the dual threat qb list. I'll search later for his taped highlights. (Unless a studly cowboy loads them here).
But whatever the scouting reports say it's really important to recruit to what fits best for your strategies. That's what Patterson has done at TCU. (And they may be the best form tacklers out there in that 4-2-5 that I love, btw).

Also, which one of the Wisconsin boards is a good one and easy to read like this one at Wyonation?
I was wanting to read a little bit after their loss to TCU.

Here is the link to the Pittser thread on Badger Nation that I read:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2561&t=6146335

Cowduck said:
Not sure I've seen this posted anywhere, definitely worth a read. Some good stuff in there - sounds like our staff did a great job of swooping in and selling him hard.

I am really excited to see this kid committed to Wyoming. Although I take the rankings with a grain of salt, it's fun to look at ESPN's top 30 QBs and see Wyoming's name listed among the big boys. From reading some Wisconsin message boards I get the sense that Wisconsin was interested but never offered and lost out waiting for Jacoby Brissett to commit. This could be a huge get for the Pokes.

This is why I have total faith in DC. I think the talent is getting to where he needs it to be. I have a feeling we might see more of the offense we have been trying to implement. I really hope that both verbal QB's redshirt this year and that our offense really starts to develop. Then either of them should be ready by the time they are sophomores. These guys should be sitting in a better situation than ACS was. The team will be all DC recruits by the time they take over and a "system" should be well in place. DC's first recruiting class that he didn't even have a full season to recruit are just sophomores and RS freshmen. This next year should show drastic improvement. I expect us to be back to a 6 or 7 win season. The year after should be better.

laxwyo said:
Cowduck said:

This is why I have total faith in DC. I think the talent is getting to where he needs it to be. I have a feeling we might see more of the offense we have been trying to implement. I really hope that both verbal QB's redshirt this year and that our offense really starts to develop. Then either of them should be ready by the time they are sophomores. These guys should be sitting in a better situation than ACS was. The team will be all DC recruits by the time they take over and a "system" should be well in place. DC's first recruiting class that he didn't even have a full season to recruit are just sophomores and RS freshmen. This next year should show drastic improvement. I expect us to be back to a 6 or 7 win season. The year after should be better.

Do we have at least one good QB coming off redshirt this year that will be able to take over if ACS gets injured? Crum is gone, so we need someone.

Pittser will be 2nd string at worst. Don't be surprised if he gets some playing time as a true freshman. This guy is the real deal from everyone I've talked to. Good luck finding much game tape of the dude because he played in a run dominated offense and only threw the ball around 5 times a game. That lack of game tape is exactly what made larger schools shy away. They have the luxury of doing that...they can easily get highly touted QB recruits, so they have no reason to take chances on a guy like Pittser. I've talked with several people who have seen him in QB camps, and every single one of them says he is an elite QB.

For example, Pittser attended the Elite 11 QB camp back in July. He was rated the 2nd best QB at the camp only behind Jeff Driskel, a Florida commit. These definitely weren't chumps at this camp either...here are some names of kids he was rated above:

Archie Bradley - Oklahoma commit
Cody Kessler - USC commit
Teddy Bridgewater - Miami commit
Evan Crower - Stanford commit
Kiehl Frazier - Auburn commit
Everett Golson - North Carolina commit
DeMarcus Smith - Lousiville commit
Kendal Thompson - Oklahoma commit
JW Walsh - Oklahoma State commit

Not to mention that Undur Armour QB coach Gene Dahlquist (also a former offensive coordinator for Texas in the 90's) immediately called his contacts at Texas asking them to take a close look at Pittser after seeing him in camp. In fact, he went on to say that, "There's no doubt in my mind that Pittser could play at Texas or any other major FBS program".

If he isn't going to start, he should redshirt. Leave backup duties to the guys coming off of a redshirt.

There is no doubt in my mind that Christensen is a very good judge of QB talent and is a very good QB coach. If he thinks Pittser needs to redshirt, then he will - but if he shows enough maturity at the D-1 level, then he will see some PT right away. I'm not knocking any of the previous posts, just saying I have faith in DC. :twocents:

laxwyo said:
If he isn't going to start, he should redshirt. Leave backup duties to the guys coming off of a redshirt.

I actually see something similar to when ACS was a freshman. I think ACS will get the starting nod, but don't be surprised if Pittser is utilized in several drives in our season opener. Pittser has superior physical attributes, so how much he sees the field will be determined by his ability to pick up the inticacies of the offense. This staff won't hesitate to burn a redshirt if they think that player can contribute.

First off, they plan on bringing in a big time QB in every single class. They aren't looking for a 4 year starter. They will look to bring in a QB in every single class that is good enough to challenge for the starting position as a true freshman. Believe me, they aren't looking at Pittser as the savior for the next 4 years. Hell, they are probably already on QB's in the class of 2012 that are just as good or better than Pittser. This staff puts a premium on bringing in very good QB's in every single class.

Secondly, from what I have seen in the first two seasons, I fully expect this staff to follow the Gary Pinkel model as far as playing time for true freshman. They like to play a lot of true freshman in one class (ie. our 2009 class) and then redshirt most guys in the next class (ie. our 2010 class). Thus, they get the best of two recruiting classes moving through the program together. Based on this, I suspect the current recruiting class (2011) will see a good amount of players see the field as true freshman. With Pittser being the best player in our class so far, I highly doubt they will keep him off te field.

He will see the field if he is as good or better than ACS, no doubt about that. If ACS is even a little better it wouldn't make much sense since ACS is only a junior. I expect ACS to be a better qb at this point so I see Pittser red shirting (does Pittser bring something that acs doesn't? They seem similar to me, Pittser might have a better arm and ACS is probably a better scramble, but both are dual threat QB's).

Emory Miller will probably be the backup and switch to wr in 2012 ( I think he will be a capable backup, he is athletic enough to be a good running qb). Sam Stratton will likely be switching positions this spring and I don't know about Woodward. That being said if Smith or Pittser are flat out better than ACS they will be get the starting nod, and I think if ACS is injured early that one of the true freshman will likely take over.

Honestly. I think we get jipped in recruiting, because this guy is a four star caliber guy. Yet, because he was in a run first Offense his rating went down. This made it a great pick up for UW. I think this guy has the potential and the intangibles to become a well known commodity at UW. Now to get some top of the line receivers and we're settled.

I have a feeling he's going to decommit. CU's trying to steal him from us, and quite frankly, I don't think we can compete, especially as they don't exactly have a star QB in their ranks already.

Pittser's visiting CU on Saturday.

Asmodeanreborn said:
I have a feeling he's going to decommit. CU's trying to steal him from us, and quite frankly, I don't think we can compete, especially as they don't exactly have a star QB in their ranks already.

Pittser's visiting CU on Saturday.

I hate players that keep on shopping around after committing. Regardless, I hope the staff is on the phone with Cameron Coffman letting him know a schollie could open back up.

kansasCowboy said:
Pittser seems to be really interested in who coaches him? I think we are one up on CU there.
And, he seems to like the small town feel. Hopefully he is taking the trip to see what's out there, but is solid toward Wyoming.

Colorado is perfect right now for any QB they sign. They only have 2 QBs on scholarship and neither are world beaters nor were they recruited by the new coaching staff. Colorado said they are signing only one QB this year. Who ever they sign will be their QB and will have a great chance to play 4 years. If Pittser comes here he gets to follow ACS around for a couple years then hope that he can beat out Smith when the position opens up. Colorado has a nice campus, nice facilities and plays in the PAC 10. If he visits Colorado this Saturday, my bet is that it's game over for Wyoming.

Another QB problem is what to do if ACS gets injured early on. Because of our recruiting and coaching style we'll have exactly zero back ups that have thrown a ball at this level. We had many chances this past season to give an opportunity to one of the Freshman when we were getting blown out, but opted to keep ACS in or let Crum get a few snaps. Even if we don't lose Pittser, he doesn't even have much high school experience throwing the ball, let alone D1. It might be time to stop designing plays for ACS to run the ball.

I'll assume he'll take CU over UW, but CU has been a very disfunctional football program for a long time. I think we'll be getting a bit of our own medicine as we had a new coaching staff that picked up ACS from San Jose St. As per Cowboy Altitude, Trey Norman taking a visit to Memphis.

We can't discount the fact if he plays for CU, he'll get a chance to play against Washington, the team he wanted to get a offer from.

cowboyz said:
Another QB problem is what to do if ACS gets injured early on. Because of our recruiting and coaching style we'll have exactly zero back ups that have thrown a ball at this level. We had many chances this past season to give an opportunity to one of the Freshman when we were getting blown out, but opted to keep ACS in or let Crum get a few snaps. Even if we don't lose Pittser, he doesn't even have much high school experience throwing the ball, let alone D1. It might be time to stop designing plays for ACS to run the ball.

It wouldn't have made any sense to put the younger players into the game and burn their redshirts. Now both Stratton and Miller Jr will still be freshmen next year and I would guess one of them will win the backup job and can start to get some game time action. If ACS goes down they will get expeience in a hurry, I doubt a few plays here and there last year would have made any difference at all, at least enough to justify burning the redshirt. I for one am a fan of Emory Miller Jr. the little bit I saw of him at the fall scrimmages i came away impressed. Very athletic and seemed to have a nice touch on his passes but then again what do i know.

Two thoughts:

1) Colorado just signed a JUCO QB out of Arizona. His name is Brent Burnette. Haven't heard a whole lot about the guy. He isn't a highly touted recruits by any means, but I had heard that Embree only planned on signing one QB in this class. Maybe things have changed?

2) While the QB situation looks good for an incoming freshman right now at CU, Embree has made it clear that he is putting most of his effort into landing a blue chip recruit at QB in 2012. From what I've heard, Embree felt he didn't have enough time to be able to land a big time QB this year, so the staff has already been spending time recruiting QB's in the class of 2012 instead. Mullen's QB, Cyler Miles, is CU's #1 target in the class of 2012 and they have been recruiting him hard. He already holds offers from CU and Cal and several other big time programs are sniffing around. He should be a top 5 national QB in the class of 2012 and my sources suspect he will end up at CU. Just something for Pittser to consider before he decides to decommit.

Latest posts

Back