I come in peace...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
owleyeinthesky
Buckaroo

Hey Pokes... As I said, I come in peace! Just curious as a fan and former player for the Owls... What makes so many of you guys/gals think you'll be able to stop our rushing attack? I could be wrong, but I believe WYO has the 2nd worst rushing D in the country? It just seems that 95% or more of you feel that your defense will have no problem at all stoping our rushing attack. Not sure how much you know about our guys, but we have two OUTSTANDING backs. Most people hear about Pierce and his 28 (or so) touchdowns on the season. The guy will run over you, through you, around you and I believe had roughly 1400 yards this season, while missing at least a full game and a half. He's our "power" guy who will run between the tackles and make people miss all over the place OR cut back and stiff arm/hurdle (IMO, thats his MO move) at least 1 or 2 guys.

The "Bug" (Matty Brown), is our change-up back who is about the quickest little bugger you'll ever see. He pops into holes that are filled with 8-10 guys and next thing you knows, busts out of nowhere for 60 yards and a TD. The little guy is lightning fast and bounces off tacklers all over the place like a damn pinball. He's only about 5'6" and 165lbs, but again, a guy who straight up GETS IT DONE when he gets the rock. We've had a few games where he and/or Pierce have busted out 150+ yard games EACH.

Then you throw in our newly appointed (although fans had been calling for him all year) QB, Chris Coyer. In his first 3 carries of "mop-up duty" he busted off two of them into 60+ yard TD runs. He's a Tebow-like player when it comes to running the read-option. Best part, he can make the throws too when he NEEDS TO.

So basically you have a 3-headed rushing MONSTER heading out west to play the 2nd worst rush defense in the country. You can hang your hat on holding AFA to 300 yards rushing (or so) all you want, but this is a WHOLE different rushing attack.

With all of that said, I think if the Pokes can keep our offense off the field for long periods of time OR they can somehow (turnovers, kick returns, etc) get up on my Owls quickly, they've got a shot (see our games vs. Toledo/BGSU). If the Owls "D" shows up and pressures your QB (which we have done VERY well in some games and very POORLY in others), this will be a long day for Wyoming. If our running game gets going and all three guys start hitting their stride, this could be a blowout in the Owls favor. If the Pokes manage to take a 10-14 point lead and stack the box, look out Owls.

Just wanted to give my thoughts and wish you guys the best of luck. Glad to be the first bowl on TV and wish I could have made the trip. I hear you guys are big partiers (which makes it THAT much harder to not be out there drinking beers). Best of luck, cheers to no injuries and a well played game.
Last edited by owleyeinthesky on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 4 times

Have we ever played Army?

In all seriousness, you can't throw worth a damn, so we'll load up and we'll see how it goes.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

My question for you all is: what makes you think you guys are the best running team we've faced? We have a bad rush defense but we've played with stiffer competition and faired well,with the exception of Utah State.
owleyeinthesky
Buckaroo

Because when our rushing game gets going, it is one of the best out there. (especially now that we have a QB who can run). We are a HORRIBLE team playing from behind. If we can keep pounding away with our HUGE offensive line (one of the biggest lines in the country), its a matter of time before our top backs start busting off runs. Your D line is about the same size of the one we went against with Villanova in our home opener. Pierce didn't have the biggest game of his career, but he pretty much went off... If he stays healthy (and he has for most of the year), he will run all over your undersized DL and LB crew.

Just my opinion... again, not trying to flame. I've just watched this running game demolish defenses much better than what the Pokes will bring. Not sure how they will slow it down UNLESS THEY CAN PLAY WITH THE LEAD. Thats the way to beat the Owls.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I don't think we can tbh but I have faith that the Wyo offense will out perform the Temple offense and since you have to bank on only the rush we don't have to respect the air game. I don't think the Temple defense can contain our QB all game long. If we get a lead in the 1st half I believe we can hang on to it.

The only way I'm worried about it is if we are not leading in the 3rd Q and your O line leans on our D.

Besides if you look at our game against SDSU who has one of the best backs in the nation and arguably better than your back and take away that run 98 yard run we did a great job of containing him. I actually think it will be a great game and much closer than people are predicting.
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
owleyeinthesky
Buckaroo

Wyo... agree 100%. If we are able to hold the game within a TD in the first half or go ahead, Pokes are in trouble. Pokes take a 10+ point lead and stack the box, we have not shown yet that we can come back and win.

Really is a very interesting match up.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't know many WYO fans thumping their chest's and guaranteeing a win. However, BGSU beat you and we beat them (at their place). I think it will be a good game, but Air Force (not army) is a good running team & San Diego State is a good running team (beat them both). Utah state and TCU are good running teams and they beat us.

It is a toss up to me, but Temple hasn't beat a winning team have they (excuse me if I am wrong)? I believe the Owl's defense is overrated (week stregnth of schedule & played losing teams). Last I checked we are winning team.

I hope for a good game and wish Temple the best in all games besides this one.

PS. Win or lose we still booze (Wyoming has the best drinking fans in the nation & you can't take that from us).
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

owleyeinthesky wrote:Because when our rushing game gets going, it is one of the best out there. (especially now that we have a QB who can run). We are a HORRIBLE team playing from behind. If we can keep pounding away with our HUGE offensive line (one of the biggest lines in the country), its a matter of time before our top backs start busting off runs. Your D line is about the same size of the one we went against with Villanova in our home opener. Pierce didn't have the biggest game of his career, but he pretty much went off... If he stays healthy (and he has for most of the year), he will run all over your undersized DL and LB crew.

Just my opinion... again, not trying to flame. I've just watched this running game demolish defenses much better than what the Pokes will bring. Not sure how they will slow it down UNLESS THEY CAN PLAY WITH THE LEAD. Thats the way to beat the Owls.
Well, we've gone against Nebraska (good running game there), SDSU (Hillman killed us on the ground, but we still won), Air Force (I think they threw 4 times the entire game), and TCU (whom we forced 5 fumbles on). So, we have faced some VERY good running teams, and like Air Force, you may have a running QB, but so did they and they still lost.

And SDSU, known for good defenses under Rocky Long, was torched for 30 points in the first half. Screens were executed to a fault.
owleyeinthesky
Buckaroo

Marc... I think the TEMPLE "D" could be a huge deciding factor in the game as well... We have been extremely inconsistent. There have been games (PSU, U Maryland, etc) where we have come out and absolutely SHUT DOWN good offensive teams with outstanding pressure and well calculated, well disguised blitzes. Other games, our defense has looked about as "vanilla" and porous as swish cheese. Just depends what defense shows up on Saturday.

Didn't know about the Pokes and their drinking abilities until this game... Starting to wonder if I should have gone west to play as a Poke with the way my buddies and I drink! Stay safe and enjoy the game!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Wyo has a great change of winning because:

1. Freshman All-American QB and CB
2. A bend but don't break D which 4th in the country in turnover margin
3. Familiar Stadium
4. More fans
5. Altitude
6. Temple has struggled with spread option teams
Last edited by mrtnt3x on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyoming doesn't have to stop Temples rushing attack. Wyoming gave up lots of yards on the ground to teams that are as good running the ball as Temple is and Wyoming still won. I think this game more comes down to turnovers and whether or not Temples defense can stop Wyoming's offense.

Temple will get yards on the ground. Temple will get a few points. The question is can Temple stop Wyoming from scoring points. Wyoming's offense is similar to Toledo's and I know Toledo scored quite a few points against Temple as did Ohio. Seems like the last 3 or 4 games Temples defense started giving up more yardage as well.

Should be a good ballgame and I could see a scenario where either team can win. I don't see a blow out either way.

Good luck to Temple in every other game you play except for the one this Saturday.

Go pokes! :thumb:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Marc... I think the TEMPLE "D" could be a huge deciding factor in the game as well... We have been extremely inconsistent. There have been games (PSU, U Maryland, etc) where we have come out and absolutely SHUT DOWN good offensive teams with outstanding pressure and well calculated, well disguised blitzes. Other games, our defense has looked about as "vanilla" and porous as swish cheese. Just depends what defense shows up on Saturday.

Didn't know about the Pokes and their drinking abilities until this game... Starting to wonder if I should have gone west to play as a Poke with the way my buddies and I drink! Stay safe and enjoy the game!
I agree that it comes down to the defense. Thanks for posting and being a respectful fan.

Do you see/believe Temple will be going back to the big east (I know your team has had a few seasons of winning recently)?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Loving this banter...... the ignorant big-school fans think this bowl game doesn't matter. Tell that to these Owl and Cowboys fans. :D
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:Loving this banter...... the ignorant big-school fans think this bowl game doesn't matter. Tell that to these Owl and Cowboys fans. :D
:thumb:
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
owleyeinthesky
Buckaroo

Not sure if we'll end up back in the Big East... With that said, many of us are not sure we want back in the Big East. At this point, many see it as a "sinking ship". I played back when we were in the "real Big East" when we played Miami (FL), West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. every year in our league. Ever since the ACC poached the best teams a few years back, the Big East has been watered down... Now with the departure of a handful of the rest of the "top tier" teams, its a middle of the pack league as it is (even with the additions). The only positive would be the auto bid and I'm not sure any of us believe that is still going to belong to the Big East in a few years. Many believe that either staying in the MAC and continuing to win for a few years OR taking our teams to the new CUSA merger would be our best move.

As for the other Poke fan... right on the money. All those "bigger school fans" who think no one cares about this bowl, great to see the good-spirited banter and how much a bowl win means to both of our programs. Again best of luck and be safe tailgating!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It's a great matchup and is what a bowl game like this should be. Teams that are very unfamiliar with each other, probably recruit completely different areas of the country and in general have very different cultures.

Temple is going to get their yards on the ground. I don't doubt that. WYO has won games in spite of that because of good red zone defense and turnovers. If Temple doesn't have any turnovers, holds onto the ball, and grinds WYO down in the 2nd half, there's a pretty good chance they win.

But if Brett Smith starts lighting up the Owl defense, pretty good chance WYO will win. I think Temple wants a low-scoring game in the teens, WYO wants a game in the 20's or 30's.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

There's no way we'll shut down the Temple run game. We haven't shut down anyone's offense all season long. We're an opportunistic defense that relies on turnovers to get our D off the field. Not my favorite philosophy, but as long as it's working I'll go with it. Looking forward to what should be a pretty exciting game!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

owleyeinthesky wrote:Starting to wonder if I should have gone west to play as a Poke with the way my buddies and I drink! Stay safe and enjoy the game!
We've had several players from Pennslyvania come out to play for the Pokes, particularly in the '60s. You'd have been welcomed. This year's team has players from 21 states and 3 foreign countries. None from PA, but we have Mazi Ogbonna a senior wide receiver from Westbury, NY.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

owleyeinthesky wrote:Marc... I think the TEMPLE "D" could be a huge deciding factor in the game as well... We have been extremely inconsistent. There have been games (PSU, U Maryland, etc) where we have come out and absolutely SHUT DOWN good offensive teams with outstanding pressure and well calculated, well disguised blitzes. Other games, our defense has looked about as "vanilla" and porous as swish cheese. Just depends what defense shows up on Saturday.

Sorry bro, but you haven't stopped any good offensive teams. Penn St is 95th in yards per game. Their 110th in points per game. Maryland is 68th in ypg and 89th in ppg.
Not to mention here's the rankings of your opponents offensive performances this year.
AKR 115th ypg 117th ppg (not exactly world beaters) 1-11
BUF 82nd ypg 97th ppg (also, nothing notable here) 3-9
MIA 78th ypg 104th ppg (Can't score) 4-8
arm 53rd ypg 76th ppg (Decent One dimensional offense) 3-9
KSU 119th ypg 113th ppg ( Another easy win for your D) 5-7
BGS 63rd ypg 65th ppg (Was another decent One Dimensional team)5-7
TOL 8th ypg 8th ppg (very good offensively, but even BSU torched them 45-14) 8-5
OHI 24th ypg 38th ppg (Very well disciplined Team) 9-4
BAL 69th ypg 74th ppg (Decent Offense) 6-6
If your D is doing well, I can see why. If they play vanilla at times then Temple is in BIG trouble.

Now Why i think Wyoming can slow down Temples running game:
USU 20th ypg 21nd ppg (Offense is insanely good Their D is not good) 7-5 (Robert Turbin 229-1,416-19)
NEB 59th ypg 44th ppg (This is a Top tier team) 9-3 (Rex Burkhead 261-1,268-15)
AFA 19th ypg 22nd ppg (Amazing one dimensional offense)7-5 ( Asher Clark 151-1,096-6)
unlv 117th ypg 113th ppg (They stunk. And we took it to'em) 2-10
BSU 9th ypg 7th ppg (They are amazing all alround) 11-1 ( Doug Martin 232-1,148-15)
CSU 88th ypg 102nd ppg (they struggled until they brought in their Fresh QB) 3-9
UNM 113th ypg 120th ppg (Our D held them pretty easily) 1-11
SDS 36th ypg 49th ppg (Hillman/Kazee combo plus a better pass team) 8-4 (Ron Hillman 287-1,656-19)
TCU 28th ypg 9th ppg (Offense is always top notch) 10-2 (I've got to put these three on here, they really are a three headed monster.) (Waymon James 107-824-6 7.7ypc, Mat Tucker 116-684-11 5.9ypc, Ed Wesley 104-659-5 6.2ypc)
BGS 63rd ypg 65th ppg (Both of us played them and between the two of us we're 1-1) 5-7

It's a lot of info I know, but if you look through it, you'll see than A great running attack doesn't scare us anymore. Our D has faced the best in the nation every other week and succeeded enough to get us 8 wins.
Temples D ranks high, but, who have they played. Only top offensive teams you played were Toledo and Ohio. Both losses.
This is Why Wyoming fans are confident.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

I think the key will be Temple's play action. If they catch us sleeping, they can take the lead and win. I think Wyoming scores 24. Now, what will Temple be able to put up? Long drives and field goals won't win the game. Sustained drives and TD's along with one or two big pass plays and Temple can take it.

I don't really know why we aren't the favorites, but I don't care.

Another reason wyoming will probably win is Brett Smith. We have him and you don't. Here's to the kid having another good game. Hope the game is as exciting as the last New Mexico bowl we played.

Here's to both teams having a great injury free day.
W-Y, Until I Die!