New coach…

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

At least burman has a full season to put together a short list…..
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I jumped on the board to start a thread like this, and low and behold, one is already here.

If I'm Tom Burman, I'm going to try and replicate what I did with Jeff Linder.

1. Hire an up and comer with an innovative offensive mind.
2. Find someone that can actually identify talent and convince them to come to Laramie.
3. Find someone that's been successful wherever they're at.

Who do you have Poke fans? Who's winning games, is familiar with the forward pass, and would be able to recruit to Laramie.

I don't want to hear that you can't recruit to Laramie because Branch and Linder seem to be doing just fine.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

While you are at it, get a new play-by-play guy. Reese is god awful. The long line of great WYoming radio announcers is over. Wow.

As for Bohl, he is who we knew he was. This is not surprising. If Burman keeps him, he will see attendance fall next year. If he fires him, he better stay away from FCS for a replacement. It has not worked. We’ve picked national champ coaches and they’ve sucked. But I imagine Bohl will stay however long he wants to stay. We should shut down football, start hockey and throw all of our football investment at Linder.

Our team just sucks. We are really really bad. Can’t tackle. We have no receivers. TEs are invisible. Peasley is hot garbage. Lines on both sides are garbage. Punting? Crap. Hoyland is our only real player. And likely Swen. We might beat NoCo. I don’t see any other wins. If a team scores a singe touchdown, we are sunk.

When does basketball start?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:37 pm At least burman has a full season to put together a short list…..
It doesn’t even matter. This is what NIL and transfer portal are likely to do to cowboys football regardless of coach.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

No extensions on the near horizon at least
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

stymeman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:06 pm No extensions on the near horizon at least
Maybe. We have a long history of head scratching personnel moves. An extension wouldn’t surprise me at all.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:05 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:37 pm At least burman has a full season to put together a short list…..
It doesn’t even matter. This is what NIL and transfer portal are likely to do to cowboys football regardless of coach.
Sadly, I think you are right. I think NIL will kill what's left of Wyoming football. There are going to be a lot of other schools in the same boat as us. Unless a school is getting P5 tv money and/or has a lot of booster money, football is going to be a financial black hole.
wypoke
Buckaroo

Face the facts:
1. Bohl and his crony assistant coaches cannot evaluate talent, develop players or be innovative.
2. Burman is too weak to terminate Bohl.
3. We can bitch all we want, but the university administration and the Board of Trustees could care less about how we feel.

Folks get use to it. We don't matter.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Yup. Also the transfer rule needs to change back to sitting out a year. It’s like free agency on crack. I don’t care where we get our next head coach, I just think it needs to be an offensive coach. Teams score in the 20s by accident in this era and we can’t score a touchdown.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Brock Spack…
Underwhelming hire, cheap, Wyoming roots, good Midwest connections, right offense, cheap, cheap, and Wyoming roots.
Last edited by ELKMT on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:57 pm While you are at it, get a new play-by-play guy. Reese is god awful. The long line of great WYoming radio announcers is over. Wow.
Reece sounds like a cross between John Wayne and Forrest Gump. He is absolutely impossible to listen to for an entire game. But he's a perfect match for that hot mess Bohl had on the field today.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:47 pm
LawPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:57 pm While you are at it, get a new play-by-play guy. Reese is god awful. The long line of great WYoming radio announcers is over. Wow.
Reece sounds like a cross between John Wayne and Forrest Gump. He is absolutely impossible to listen to for an entire game. But he's a perfect match for that hot mess Bohl had on the field today.
Reece does okay with hoops I thought. Does he have a lot of football experience?
W-Y, Until I Die!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

This could be the worst team in my lifetime by seasons end. They got outplayed in every facet of the game. We’re looking at early 2000s bad folks. If Bohl can’t put up more than 2 wins this year, he needs to do the right thing and walk away and give up his last two years salary, maybe stay as defensive coordinator. Defense is the only thing he has any business coaching.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Reece was bad today. I’ve always liked him in basketball, so I hope he gets better. I was really missing Dave today.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:33 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:05 pm
Sadly, I think you are right. I think NIL will kill what's left of Wyoming football. There are going to be a lot of other schools in the same boat as us. Unless a school is getting P5 tv money and/or has a lot of booster money, football is going to be a financial black hole.
I'm on this train of depressive thought as well. There's just no way we'll ever again keep a player who suddenly breaks out. I'm morbidly curious what kind of influence this will have over time on the quality of NFL players.

And at least we're not stuck paying for a super expensive new stadium, unlike the sheep. I doubt they have the boosters necessary to attract enough talent to make it worth it.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Hot karl sad
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think I'm tapped out on Bohl as well. Last year should have been the year. It's possible we could still be somewhat competitive in conference since everyone will be losing players to portal and NIL, but I think I've been kidding myself for too long. The split happened a long time ago. The missouri win gave me some hope but its two different worlds changing more drastically than ever. I think it's time for a change, maybe there's something the new coach can work with, but we can't seem to coach WRs to get open or QBs to complete 5 yard passes. Man, I hope they get their poop together and make us all look dumb.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Meh, the right coach will win in the MWC. The wrong coach won't. The split with P5 is effectively complete; hope we stay in the middle between fcs and P4 (or P2 whatever it becomes).

If you're going to line up and run people over, then you better have the best athletes or a highly disciplined, multiple option, cut blocking (in year's past) scheme. You don't have that? You're not running the other team over. It isn't that complicated.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:46 pm Brock Spack…
Underwhelming hire, cheap, Wyoming roots, good Midwest connections, right offense, cheap, cheap, and Wyoming roots.
Wyoming roots? He coached TWO years for us when he was 33-34 years old. What am I missing?

His roots are exactly where he is currently coaching.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I really don't think Bohl is in any danger of losing his job. Burman has retained some coaches for long periods of time without any notable success to speak of (Volleyball, XC/T&F, Men's and Women's Golf, Women's Tennis, etc). I bet Bohl's run of bowl games and being bowl eligible has built up enough equity for him to have a few rough seasons in a row

on that note, I am really looking forward to the day that Tom Burman wakes up and demands an excellent distance running program