Defense was good

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Deserves to be up on the front page. These guys played well enough to win. Well done, men
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 pm Deserves to be up on the front page. These guys played well enough to win. Well done, men
I hate to throw water on this because it really looks like they played well but I think they tuned it down a lot to make sure they didn’t make any mistakes to help our bad. I watched the BSU/BYU game and either our D played lights out or BSU turned it down.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

They just played, that's what it looked like to me
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:22 pm Deserves to be up on the front page. These guys played well enough to win. Well done, men
I hate to throw water on this because it really looks like they played well but I think they tuned it down a lot to make sure they didn’t make any mistakes to help our bad. I watched the BSU/BYU game and either our D played lights out or BSU turned it down.
It’s on par with our other d performances . Either every other team we play tunes it down and scores way below their season average…. Or, we’re just really good on defense. We’re just good
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Our last three coaches have only been proficient in one phase of the game. Glen was all D, no O, Dickface was all O, no D, and Bohl is all D, no O. None of them have been exceptional with ST. None of them had FBS head coaching experience. We should be hiring a Head Coach from lower tier G5 programs. Experience is what we have clearly been lacking since Tiller departed.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 am Our last three coaches have only been proficient in one phase of the game. Glen was all D, no O, Dickface was all O, no D, and Bohl is all D, no O. None of them have been exceptional with ST. None of them had FBS head coaching experience. We should be hiring a Head Coach from lower tier G5 programs. Experience is what we have clearly been lacking since Tiller departed.
Two problems with this off the top of my head...

1. So we got a coach (assistant or position) that is not a train wreck at a lower tier G5 program...Why is he coming to Wyoming? I just don't see this ever happening. Any coach with FBS experience that would be regarded as a good hire is just not coming to Laramie. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have an up and comer with FBS experience choose Wyoming but that is just as likely as a top recruiting class coming here.

2. Let's imagine a world where #1 does not hold and we actually get the hot up and comer...are we so sure that coaching is the problem? Coaching is "a" problem. I don't think that Nick Saban would have any conference titles in Laramie if he was here over the last 20 years either.

I don't think we have great talent in Laramie, despite the high profile of some cowboys in the pros in the last few years. Somehow we have deluded ourselves that bohl has presided over a windfall of NFL talent....When you get down to the numbers...it's just not true. After Bohl's first two years, we have been a slightly above average MWC team...Both in terms of talent and results.

This is not a defense of Bohl, by the way...either his style cannot win or he does not know how to implement it...either way...not a good place to be in.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:42 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 am Our last three coaches have only been proficient in one phase of the game. Glen was all D, no O, Dickface was all O, no D, and Bohl is all D, no O. None of them have been exceptional with ST. None of them had FBS head coaching experience. We should be hiring a Head Coach from lower tier G5 programs. Experience is what we have clearly been lacking since Tiller departed.

1. So we got a coach (assistant or position) that is not a train wreck at a lower tier G5 program...Why is he coming to Wyoming? I just don't see this ever happening. Any coach with FBS experience that would be regarded as a good hire is just not coming to Laramie. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have an up and comer with FBS experience choose Wyoming but that is just as likely as a top recruiting class coming here.

2. Let's imagine a world where #1 does not hold and we actually get the hot up and comer...are we so sure that coaching is the problem? Coaching is "a" problem. I don't think that Nick Saban would have any conference titles in Laramie if he was here over the last 20 years either.

I don't think we have great talent in Laramie, despite the high profile of some cowboys in the pros in the last few years. Somehow we have deluded ourselves that bohl has presided over a windfall of NFL talent....When you get down to the numbers...it's just not true. After Bohl's first two years, we have been a slightly above average MWC team...Both in terms of talent and results.

This is not a defense of Bohl, by the way...either his style cannot win or he does not know how to implement it...either way...not a good place to be in.
I think you and SDPoke should form the "It's Just Too Hard" bowling league. The whole "give it up" attitude isn't helpful. We could use fewer fans like you.

If you pay them, they will come...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:40 pm

I think you and SDPoke should form the "It's Just Too Hard" bowling league. The whole "give it up" attitude isn't helpful. We could use fewer fans like you.

If you pay them, they will come...
I agree. The whole "give it up" attitude is complete and utter poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: Did the U.S. give up after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor or did the Soviets defending Stalingard give up with it looked like the Nazi were going to win? NO, both groups turned around and beat the poop outta their opponents!!!! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Stop with the talent crap. Did you miss the part where they showed # of players in the NFL. Almost as much as Boise. The problem is coaching, not talent. You can recruit to Laramie. Laramie is actually a very nice place and we have a good university with excellent facilities and fan support. There are plenty of good reasons for a player to come to Wyoming and many great players have and ARE in the program currently.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:39 am

Stop with the talent crap. Did you miss the part where they showed # of players in the NFL. Almost as much as Boise. The problem is coaching, not talent. You can recruit to Laramie. Laramie is actually a very nice place and we have a good university with excellent facilities and fan support. There are plenty of good reasons for a player to come to Wyoming and many great players have and ARE in the program currently.
I'm not saying there is no talent in Laramie....stop arguing with stuff I'm not saying.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:03 am

I'm not saying there is no talent in Laramie....stop arguing with stuff I'm not saying.
Also...do you think the talent was even on Friday night?...I don't. I'd swap our complete offense man for man tomorrow if I could....I like a couple of the standouts we have, but BSU is more talented on the field of play.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am

Also...do you think the talent was even on Friday night?...I don't. I'd swap our complete offense man for man tomorrow if I could....I like a couple of the standouts we have, but BSU is more talented on the field of play.
We have a more talented TE, RB (maybe two), And I think Neyor is more talented than anyone Boise has. It's all poop coaching. The talent is here to have a decent offense. O line might be irredeemable. OR not! It's hard to block when we're so predictable. who knows? I know that coaching matters more in football than any other sport, and we lack offensive coaching.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:49 am We have a more talented TE, RB (maybe two), And I think Neyor is more talented than anyone Boise has. It's all Sh#t coaching. The talent is here to have a decent offense. O line might be irredeemable. OR not! It's hard to block when we're so predictable. who knows? I know that coaching matters more in football than any other sport, and we lack offensive coaching.
Umm while it’s nice to have Swen and Valladay, Holani is the more NFL talented back. Neyor is the only guy that I see on Wyoming’s offense with an NFL future unless Chambers switches positions to TE. Boise will likely have 3-4 guys from its offense in the NFL someday.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:49 am We have a more talented TE, RB (maybe two), And I think Neyor is more talented than anyone Boise has. It's all Sh#t coaching. The talent is here to have a decent offense. O line might be irredeemable. OR not! It's hard to block when we're so predictable. who knows? I know that coaching matters more in football than any other sport, and we lack offensive coaching.
Come on Lander...don't dodge it...who is more talented?

You think it is even?...Maybe you think Wyoming is more talented?

Boise State dominates the MWC primarily because they have better players than everybody else. It is not overwhelming but it matters.

You can want Bohl gone and admit that we don't have better talent than everybody else....they can both be true.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:08 am
Umm while it’s nice to have Swen and Valladay, Holani is the more NFL talented back. Neyor is the only guy that I see on Wyoming’s offense with an NFL future unless Chambers switches positions to TE. Boise will likely have 3-4 guys from its offense in the NFL someday.
I do not think Holani is better than Swen or Valladay, but yes, you are probably correct. Opportunity, game tape and stats are a big deal. Our guys are not put in a position to succeed - Boise's are, so they will get noticed way more.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 am

Boise State dominates the MWC primarily because they have better players than everybody else. It is not overwhelming but it matters.

You can want Bohl gone and admit that we don't have better talent than everybody else....they can both be true.
Boise has more talent, but not so much more that they should win every game against us like they do. The games have been close recently, but we get out coached. Talent isn't that much different between us and Boise.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:22 am
307bball wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 am

Boise has more talent, but not so much more that they should win every game against us like they do. The games have been close recently, but we get out coached. Talent isn't that much different between us and Boise.
Yeah..I agree. The talent is not over-whelmingly different and Bohl is not out-coaching anybody.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:19 am

I think the Oline has the strength, intelligence, and size. It’s the technique that’s lacking IMHO. That’s on coaching.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 50 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 pm
It’s on par with our other d performances . Either every other team we play tunes it down and scores way below their season average…. Or, we’re just really good on defense. We’re just good
While I think we do have a good defense, this wasn't one of our better games. We gave up 22 1st downs, tied for our season high with the NIU game. 15 of those were on 1st or 2nd down plays. We slowed them down, but didn't stop them. When we aren't getting turnovers we need to force punts and we didn't do that very well against Boise.

The thing that stood out to me was we only got one sack, by Gibbs, and had one QB hurry, by White. Our front 4 didn't get nearly enough pressure on their QB. They threw the ball 32 times, so we had plenty of chances.