Rational look at the past year of Cowboy football

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Considering Dave Christensen was named head coach just about a year ago (Dec. 1), I thought it might be interesting to look at Wyoming football during the past calender year. Despite being named head coach on Dec. 1, his full staff, although working in various degrees on recruiting and so forth, the entire staff asn't assembled and ready for work in Laramie until Jan. 3, resulting in an extremely short recruiting season. DC did agree to honor all offers made by Coach Glenn.
During 2009, the Cowboys played what has been reported as the 10th toughest schedule in the NATION and according to The Mountain was one of only eight teams nationwide to play two Top Five teams this year. This year's Texas game was originally scheduled against New Mexico State, who backed out resulting in the TExas game. If NMSU would have remained on the schedule, this year's schedule would have been similar to last year's 4-8 schedule. Had NMSU remained on the schedule the Cowboys would likely be at 6-5 at this point, with a shot at 7-5. This with players mainly recruited to run a Power I type of offense instead of the Spread.
The Cowboys' two worst losses Colorado (24-0) and BYU (52-0) are definite negatives. However, the CU game was the first game where Austyn Carta-Samuels saw a majority of the playing time at QB. At that point ACS was two games removed from his last high school game. I don't care who you are or how bad your D-I oppenent is, the game had to appear to be 90 mph faster than anything he'd ever seen before as a player. The BYU game was, I think, a perfect storm of BYU having two weeks to prepare, and the Cowboys coming off an emotional game against Utah. In spite of that, the Cowboys were not adequatly prepared and that's on DC.
Last edited by Cheywypoke on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Rational Look -- Part 2

As for the rest of the season, I think the Cowboys as a team has surpassed UNLV, CSU, SDSU and UNM as programs.
I also think Wyoming has closed the gap somewhat against AFA and Utah. Utah mainly because they aren't near the same team they were last year.
However, I think UW has a lot of work to do to close the gap with BYU and TCU. BYU seems to have the Cowboys number (52-0 and 44-0) last two years. There is a lot of work to do there.
As for TCU, the Frogs this year are the Utes of last year. While the score this year -- 45-10, compared to 54-7 last year -- looks slightly better. I don't think the Cowboys have closed the gap there at all. Like BYU there is much work to be done.
I think some kudos should be given to the strength and conditioning staff. Despite the tough schedule, UW didn't experience a big rash of injuries either in number or severity.
All that being said, I think Coach Christensen taking a team projected to finish last (ninth) and finishing 5th with a bunch of true freshmen playing and contributing, should at least warrant some consideration for MWC Coach of the Year.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Good posts, cheywy.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Pfft. We should obviously be embarrassed that we're not the ones ranked #4 in the nation. I can't believe people would settle for 5 or 6 wins!

[/sarcasm]
TD-ACS
Buckaroo

The really good news is that most experts agree that the biggest improvement in college players comes between their freshman and sophomore years. With so many contributing at a high level this year I can't wait to see what another year of weights and film study can do for not only those who played but those who red shirted.

Also in the off season there will be a big change in the leadership and accountability among the players. This last off season everyone was on page one in learning what the new staff expected of them. After winter conditioning and spring drills there will be no questions among most on the team. The standard will be set and it will be up to the players to raise the bar for incoming freshmen and JC transfers.
The Road
Ranch Hand

This has had highs and lows.

I think the highs outweight the lows considering where we started from and the talent level that was here. I think the future is bright for this team but losing so much leadership on the D Line could hurt us next year.
The Juice
Buckaroo

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Pfft. We should obviously be embarrassed that we're not the ones ranked #4 in the nation. I can't believe people would settle for 5 or 6 wins!
No kidding right? What a bunch of losers, I mean a few years back we were N.C. contenders every year, NFL prospects were popping out our asses.....what a lowly state this team is in. ;)
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Great posts cheywypoke
The Road
Ranch Hand

Shouldn't we be yelling at him for looking at the big picture? Isn't overreacting and over analyzing one game and basing an entire season and a coaches ability on that game the real way to evaluate a team?

:)
The Road
Ranch Hand

Shouldn't we be yelling at him for looking at the big picture? Isn't overreacting and over analyzing one game and basing an entire season and a coaches ability on that game the real way to evaluate a team?

:)
The Juice
Buckaroo

That's exactly how it's done, Road :D and if a basketball coach loses 2 games, we fire him on the spot........that means we should have had 7 or so head coaches last year. Come on Burman!!!! Pull your head out.