Game observations1.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Sitting here in the stands watching SDSU be awarded the trophy.

1. Second to last possession we need two yards in two plays, don't give the ball to Brian Hill once. He should go pro because clearly this coaching staff has zero faith in him.

Our offensive and defensive lines were dominated all game long.

That last possession was an absolute dumpster fire.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

Vigen needs to be fired.

That was pathetic!!!!

This was a game that, had we won, would justify Bohl's huge pay raise. OOps.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Some really odd play calls down the stretch...
Why was Allen running draws instead of Hill? Makes no sense...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Some really odd play calls down the stretch...
I know. Give the ball to Hill and let him do his thing.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Some really odd play calls down the stretch...
And thus, the crux of the issue; Vigen's playcalling inconsistency. Or rather, his consistent inconsistency on play calling. How many times have we seen this? There will be plays, even drives and games, where it seems like he knows what the defense is going to do, and adjusts accordingly. Other games, it's like he refuses to see the obvious.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Play calling cost us the game. No adjustments till late in the 4th. They were selling out to theat run and you continue to run a HB dive every first down. Dumb.
knhendon
Buckaroo

Curious if Hill is injured or aggravated the groin pull from earlier in the season. He didn't seem to have his speed on the big run or cutback ability going through the line. Although, pass and run blocking looked rough tonight or SD's defense got great in two weeks.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

SDPokeFan wrote:Sitting here in the stands watching SDSU be awarded the trophy.

1. Second to last possession we need two yards in two plays, don't give the ball to Brian Hill once. He should go pro because clearly this coaching staff has zero faith in him.

Our OL got owned, but I disagree about our DL. Our DL played good and held their own.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Got to give it to SDSU's d-line and linebackers. Almost every time Hill was given the ball, he was hit one or two yards behind the line of scrimmage, making most runs only one or two yard gains rather than the normal 3-4 minimum that allows us to grind the game out and wear people down.

That pressure also seriously got into Allen's head, obviously.

The frustrating part being that we didn't run screens or dump-offs even though they were very successful the couple of times we did so. Like the commentators mentioned, CSU last week took advantage of SDSU's aggression. We didn't.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Also, defense had a really good game overall. They got us the ball back more than I expected, and held them to zero points or field goals multiple times despite good field position for San Diego. We finally gave up less than 400 yards too...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:Sitting here in the stands watching SDSU be awarded the trophy.

Our OL got owned, but I disagree about our DL. Our DL played good and held their own.
To a point. But we have ZERO pass rush.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

You can never make the argument for having your best player either on the sideline or not having the ball in his hands in a CRITICAL play. Inexcusable.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyoair wrote:You can never make the argument for having your best player either on the sideline or not having the ball in his hands in a CRITICAL play. Inexcusable.
Most of the year, you could've easily made the argument that Josh Allen was the unit's best player.

In the past, people have criticized Vigen for being too predictable by always giving the ball to Hill in those situations. Now he's criticized because he didn't give the ball to Hill. Those plays have caught teams off guard earlier in the season. It didn't tonight. Doesn't mean it was a wrong play call. The Aztecs just executed better. Sometimes, it's good to tip your cap to the opponent for making a better play.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

Wyokie wrote:Vigen needs to be fired.

That was pathetic!!!!

This was a game that, had we won, would justify Bohl's huge pay raise. OOps.
I usually agree with you, but you need to settle down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 71 times

They had a good game plan on defense. They were going to make us beat them deep and for the most part, we didn't do it. From that standpoint, the cold hurt us more than them. I guess that's why most cold weather games are low scoring. After we got up 10-0, they really dominated the line of scrimmage for most of the game.

I thought the play calling was fine. It's easy to second guess plays that don't work. Josh probably had the pitch option on those 2 plays at the end. Our O-line made big strides this year but they struggled last night.

We need more short slant routes to make the defense pay for putting all those bodies up front.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

bladerunnr wrote:They had a good game plan on defense. They were going to make us beat them deep and for the most part, we didn't do it. From that standpoint, the cold hurt us more than them. I guess that's why most cold weather games are low scoring. After we got up 10-0, they really dominated the line of scrimmage for most of the game.

I thought the play calling was fine. It's easy to second guess plays that don't work. Josh probably had the pitch option on those 2 plays at the end. Our O-line made big strides this year but they struggled last night.

We need more short slant routes to make the defense pay for putting all those bodies up front.
I agree with all of this. I will say that i thought Youhanna Ghaifan played really well at D tackle last night.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote:They had a good game plan on defense. They were going to make us beat them deep and for the most part, we didn't do it. From that standpoint, the cold hurt us more than them. I guess that's why most cold weather games are low scoring. After we got up 10-0, they really dominated the line of scrimmage for most of the game.

I agree totally. And the last play was DEFINITELY a pitch option, it looked like he almost wanted it from where I was sitting. That's not to say Hill would have got it there was about 8 guys around the 2 of them
Kougar78
Ranch Hand

How often did we pitch to Hill over course of season on a sweep-a dozen times? We attempted it twice last night. While Allen made some great plays with legs all season, often after pocket breakdown- how often did they design that run using Hill as lead blocker?? I believe they did that twice on 3rd down. I made a point to watch receivers and SDSU secondary-especially when defense showed blitz-it appeared to me that there was a lot of space in SDSU secondary 5 to 12 yards past line of scrimmage.
I know some suggested there wasn't any adjustment until 4th-I couldn't detect any adjustment through entire game.
As for Bohl's extension-Whoa, Partner! He probably had a decent incentive already paying a premium at end of this season, but it's hard for me to give green light for major extension to a coach who is a combined 3-9 in November. If he had a good start to next season, I would have no problem for a mid-season extension, but I recall Glenn getting an extension in '06 and followed it up with 2 sub-.500 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Kougar78 wrote:How often did we pitch to Hill over course of season on a sweep-a dozen times? We attempted it twice last night. While Allen made some great plays with legs all season, often after pocket breakdown- how often did they design that run using Hill as lead blocker?? I believe they did that twice on 3rd down. I made a point to watch receivers and SDSU secondary-especially when defense showed blitz-it appeared to me that there was a lot of space in SDSU secondary 5 to 12 yards past line of scrimmage.
I know some suggested there wasn't any adjustment until 4th-I couldn't detect any adjustment through entire game.
As for Bohl's extension-Whoa, Partner! He probably had a decent incentive already paying a premium at end of this season, but it's hard for me to give green light for major extension to a coach who is a combined 3-9 in November. If he had a good start to next season, I would have no problem for a mid-season extension, but I recall Glenn getting an extension in '06 and followed it up with 2 sub-.500 seasons.
CDC was extended as well
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

After rewatching the game, I have to say our defense played well. They gave up some big plays but stood tall many times. Our rushing game sucked bad. That's it. We establish at least a little rushing game and this is ours. The third down conversions was bad. Even with the terrible rushing attack, we had a chance. Speaks volumes that we were in it even with the turnovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!