Hard to Win

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

When every game you spot them at least 35 points, miss assignments, can't tackle, can force turnovers, can't create pressure, and have 100 yards in penalties. I feel like I've seen this movie before.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

pENALTIES KILLED US
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I've noticed a trend towards "we are going to run the ball hell or high water - that is who we are." And it seems this is more important than scoring.

They need to focus on scoring. When we realized we weren't going to run the ball this game - sometime in the late 3rd quarter, we played well enough to win.

I think Vigen is a good OC at this point - he has quite a bit of youth to deal with - and the inexperience is killing us - but pas the ball if that is what is needed.

Seriously - we had some decent runs. But many of those possessions in the first half and part of the second followed this pattern:
1. run stuffed - now 12 yards to go
2. run stuffed - now 10-12 yards to go
3. i wonder if we are going to pass it on third down? yep
4. punt

Might I suggest the occasional pass on first down? And if a run gets stuffed, try passing to make up for the lost yards? The immediate goal should be getting a first down as soon as possible.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Starting to think our coaches need to take a Football 101 class, for poop
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

I get that idea as well. We are going to establish the run or lose
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Glad it is not just me that thinks that.

I know its a young team. Even more reason to find ways to win vs finding a mantra.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

It's not just you. Reminds me of the same stubbornness DC had. Except Vigen does adjust in the 4th quarter instead not at all
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

HR_Poke wrote:It's not just you. Reminds me of the same stubbornness DC had. Except Vigen does adjust in the 4th quarter instead not at all
Do you remember the triple option spread offense that dc installed against air force that one year? I think he actually made more changes than these guys. Vigen just needs to pass more when the run isn't working - that is alot easier than installing an entire new offense.

He does adjust - but shoot - that was a pretty big adjustment just for that game.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I heard Coffman was sick today. Maybe they should have tried Smith again.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Coffman played well. We just kept rushing when the whole defense was in the box
W-Y, Until I Die!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:Coffman played well. We just kept rushing when the whole defense was in the box
:thumb:
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyoBrandX wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:It's not just you. Reminds me of the same stubbornness DC had. Except Vigen does adjust in the 4th quarter instead not at all
Do you remember the triple option spread offense that dc installed against air force that one year? I think he actually made more changes than these guys. Vigen just needs to pass more when the run isn't working - that is alot easier than installing an entire new offense.

He does adjust - but shoot - that was a pretty big adjustment just for that game.
Bohl mentioned changing their schemes next game, but also reiterated establishing the run.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

It's hard to win when we don't have the players. We have LBs at DE. Safeties at LB (or WR or RB) and guys that should have another year under their belt at DB
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoBrandX wrote:

So, one time he made adjustments, and still lost. All other games, no adjustments at all.

Vigen makes adjustments, just way too late in the game to actually matter. He also does play action on 3rd and long, screen pass to the short side on 3rd and 22, runs straight into a box loaded with 9 guys...

Vigen makes adjustments. DC did not. I just seriously question Vigen's play calling in general.

Stanard, I can see why the sheep fans want nothing more to do with him. Players constantly out of position, poor discipline, missed tackles, blown coverages, and those are on the good days.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyoBrandX wrote:I've noticed a trend towards "we are going to run the ball hell or high water - that is who we are." And it seems this is more important than scoring.

They need to focus on scoring. When we realized we weren't going to run the ball this game - sometime in the late 3rd quarter, we played well enough to win.

I think Vigen is a good OC at this point - he has quite a bit of youth to deal with - and the inexperience is killing us - but pas the ball if that is what is needed.

Seriously - we had some decent runs. But many of those possessions in the first half and part of the second followed this pattern:
1. run stuffed - now 12 yards to go
2. run stuffed - now 10-12 yards to go
3. i wonder if we are going to pass it on third down? yep
4. punt

Might I suggest the occasional pass on first down? And if a run gets stuffed, try passing to make up for the lost yards? The immediate goal should be getting a first down as soon as possible.
+1,000,000
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:It's hard to win when we don't have the players. We have LBs at DE. Safeties at LB (or WR or RB) and guys that should have another year under their belt at DB
Our DBs are not bad at all. It's the undersized DL (or weak sauce) and tiny LBs that kill us. Even my wife said we look little.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

We left at halftime. The rugby game by frat row was more fun...as was the cricket in Prexy's.

Oh well. It'll get better.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I don't see how this team wins a game. We are officially the worst team in FBS football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SDPokeFan wrote:I don't see how this team wins a game. We are officially the worst team in FBS football.
Afraid you're right. I just don't see it. BUT you'll still see my sorry azz at the rest of the games.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

We really could have used a jc LB
W-Y, Until I Die!