Half hour video interview with Craig Bohl...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

PBS is in the mix.

http://video.wyomingpbs.org/video/2365199330/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

He really seems like he gets it. I expect big things from this staff
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Alright, I'm ready to strap on my helmet! I may be 27, and haven't played a down of football in my life, but I'm ready to play for Coach Bohl!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:PBS is in the mix.

http://video.wyomingpbs.org/video/2365199330/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man O Man, how reassuring to know we have such a dedicated and caring and proven coach leading our football program, and most of all one who KNOWS Wyoming and what it is all about, how refreshing!

Acouple of things stuck out at me as to how Bohl is 180 degrees different than Christensen.

First of all, time of possession. How many times did we hear Christensen say that he thought that time of possession was not that important. Well he was so arrogant he couldn't see how wrong he was with that belief and what it did to Wyoming defenses that played for him! To have an offense that was horrible with time of possession it put our defense in such horrible positions time after time, and this is one of the main reasons that Christensen is an "ex" head coach. Bohl on the other hand understands and appreciates how important time of possession is and I am greatly relieved to hear him say that. This is one of the reasons that I expect Wyoming defense to have a remarkable year. It is common sense that if you put players in bad situations, bad things are going to happen, evidently Christensen never discovered this truly.

The other main reason that Christensen is an "ex" head coach in my opinion was his relationship with his assistant coaches and players and how he treated them. Christensen was a micro-manager and nothing happened without his knowledge and stamp of approval. It is very difficult to work under a person like this because you are ALWAYS looking over your shoulder and you never know when he will "beep in" to override what you are calling. Christensen also seemed to be particularly uninvolved with the "demeanor" of his players, and totally focused on what was going on in front of him on the field and almost oblivious sometimes to what was going on behind him. Bohl stated that he lets his assistants coach and call the plays and he sees how problematic it is to be constantly "beeping in" and correcting his coaches. He is also very conscious of what his teams "demeanor" is and his role in making sure that is going well.

How refreshing it is to hear how different Coach Bohl is than Coach Christensen was in these critical areas of how an experienced HC leads his program. Like others, I was really pumped to listen to this interview and I am ready to get out on the field and put a helmet on and play for the Pokes.....even though I am an old man now and would probably be carried off the field at the first time someone hit me or earlier if my heart gave out!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:PBS is in the mix.

Man O Man, how reassuring to know we have such a dedicated and caring and proven coach leading our football program, and most of all one who KNOWS Wyoming and what it is all about, how refreshing!

Acouple of things stuck out at me as to how Bohl is 180 degrees different than Christensen.

First of all, time of possession. How many times did we hear Christensen say that he thought that time of possession was not that important. Well he was so arrogant he couldn't see how wrong he was with that belief and what it did to Wyoming defenses that played for him! To have an offense that was horrible with time of possession it put our defense in such horrible positions time after time, and this is one of the main reasons that Christensen is an "ex" head coach. Bohl on the other hand understands and appreciates how important time of possession is and I am greatly relieved to hear him say that. This is one of the reasons that I expect Wyoming defense to have a remarkable year. It is common sense that if you put players in bad situations, bad things are going to happen, evidently Christensen never discovered this truly.

The other main reason that Christensen is an "ex" head coach in my opinion was his relationship with his assistant coaches and players and how he treated them. Christensen was a micro-manager and nothing happened without his knowledge and stamp of approval. It is very difficult to work under a person like this because you are ALWAYS looking over your shoulder and you never know when he will "beep in" to override what you are calling. Christensen also seemed to be particularly uninvolved with the "demeanor" of his players, and totally focused on what was going on in front of him on the field and almost oblivious sometimes to what was going on behind him. Bohl stated that he lets his assistants coach and call the plays and he sees how problematic it is to be constantly "beeping in" and correcting his coaches. He is also very conscious of what his teams "demeanor" is and his role in making sure that is going well.

How refreshing it is to hear how different Coach Bohl is than Coach Christensen was in these critical areas of how an experienced HC leads his program. Like others, I was really pumped to listen to this interview and I am ready to get out on the field and put a helmet on and play for the Pokes.....even though I am an old man now and would probably be carried off the field at the first time someone hit me or earlier if my heart gave out!
He said a lot of things in that interview that I liked.

1. I couldn't agree more on the time of possession thing. Not only did DC say it wasn't that important, he said, "It's the most over-rated stat in football." I can't think of a situation where that's true. If you keep your own defense on the field at 7220, what's the point? You just burn your own guys out.

2. I loved the fact that he said we're going to pound people. I've always thought that's how you should play at 7220. Not only are they oxygen exhausted from time of possession at altitude, they're physically exhausted from getting pounded all game. That's how you make average teams quit and how you make good teams average.

3. I'm extremely excited that he will emphasize Wyoming high school recruits. Sure, the state doesn't have that many division one players, but there are some, and like Craig said, sometimes you just have to believe that you belong there.

4. This one ties into number three. Wyoming needs a great walk-on program similar to Tom Osborne at Nebraska. The type of kids that walk-on are normally tough from the start. They believe in themselves when others don't. They work harder then scholarship players, because they have to pay their own way. Football is a numbers game and if you have a big pipeline of walk-ons your depth is going to improve and you will occasionally have a star rise from that group. A solid walk-on program will fit Wyoming very well, especially with the Hathaway. There will be more Wyoming players on the roster and the personality of the team will benefit from it. The work ethic of the team will improve. The pride of the team and the state will increase with a healthy mix of Wyoming walk-ons.

5. I'm excited that he's not going to try to out-athlete everybody. He knows his limitations and his advantages. This part of the country might not produce a ton of guys with 4.2 speed. It does produce a lot of guys that will work their asses off. It does produce a lot of big, strong physical guys that won't quit. There's a reason why teams like SDSU, TCU, and Fresno have had our number under DC. We're trying to beat them by playing their game. The way we used to beat them is by making them play our game. I'm excited to think that Wyoming football may soon return to our tradition. I can't remember a successful Wyoming team that didn't have quality line play. It sounds like the dough boys are about to get replaced by some real hogs.

6. I love the fact that he knows Wyoming is a traditional state and that more people will be happy about wearing one uniform then multiple uniforms. He's got a handle on Wyoming already. Like Craig said, we need to worry about the player in the uniform, not the uniform.

The only thing I didn't agree with was the question about MWC championships or Boots. I agree that the boot is important but I think our fan base would gladly trade the next two boots for a conference football title this year.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

It is cool to see everyone buying into Bohls system, I think mostly because it is different than the last guy we had. What was his name? Anyway, I still agree with that last guy in terms of Time of Possession. It is way over-rated! If you are using the argument that we just wear our defense out: the same could be said for the offense if they are on the field most of the time. That is a shallow argument. It boils down to what side of the ball do you trust to control the game. Many coaches like to control the game with their defense, consequently they are on the field for the majority of the game. You never hear people saying that the offense in on the field too much. It is a system belief.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I so badly want Wyo and Utah play in the Vegas Bowl and have Wyo pitch a shutout, while putting up 35 points.

I want DC to get burned HARD by Wyo right away.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

BeaverPoke wrote:I so badly want Wyo and Utah play in the Vegas Bowl and have Wyo pitch a shutout, while putting up 35 points.

I predict Utah wins <5 games in 2014, and Kyle and his band of merry offensive coordinators, including Dave the dip poop, all end up looking for a job. The only way Dave sees the Las Vegas Bowl is if he buys a ticket.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:2. I loved the fact that he said we're going to pound people. I've always thought that's how you should play at 7220. Not only are they oxygen exhausted from time of possession at altitude, they're physically exhausted from getting pounded all game. That's how you make average teams quit and how you make good teams average.

5. I'm excited that he's not going to try to out-athlete everybody. He knows his limitations and his advantages. This part of the country might not produce a ton of guys with 4.2 speed. It does produce a lot of guys that will work their asses off. It does produce a lot of big, strong physical guys that won't quit. There's a reason why teams like SDSU, TCU, and Fresno have had our number under DC. We're trying to beat them by playing their game. The way we used to beat them is by making them play our game. I'm excited to think that Wyoming football may soon return to our tradition. I can't remember a successful Wyoming team that didn't have quality line play. It sounds like the dough boys are about to get replaced by some real hogs.
Something that has been bothering me since we first hired Bohl has been this opinion that we couldn't get the athletes to run the spread and now we are going in the right direstion with a physical running team. I remeber during the end of the Glenn years and when we fired him, we complained that we weren't able to get the hog mollys needed to be a pound it up the gut team. Quotes like"we aren't like Alabama where we can get the huge linemen and impose our will", "we need to be able to create mismatches on the edges to nuetralize our lack of size" No that a coach has failed here with a spread now we say things like" we can't get the athletes/speed neccasary to run the spread, we need to just pound it ahead and be tough". I'm not advocating one style over the other(personnally I prefer the spread) but we as fans go so far from one extreme to the other its kinda funny. I think Coach Bohl is a great coach But I just hope we aren't back here in 5 years saying "Why did we think we could run the ball down peoples throats? We don't have the linemaen to do that."
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, DC could recruit good players, but could not coach them up to save his job, literally. Especially along the lines, this was painfully obvious. And let's not forget he NEVER made adjustments, halftime or in game.

Bohl and staff (including Kaligis, who actually knows how to get the best out of his players) know how to coach players up. They did it at NDSU, turning a Div 2 school into a FCS powerhouse that steamrolled opponents, including FBS schools (including Big 12, Big 10, and MWC schools).
BJC
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:2. I loved the fact that he said we're going to pound people. I've always thought that's how you should play at 7220. Not only are they oxygen exhausted from time of possession at altitude, they're physically exhausted from getting pounded all game. That's how you make average teams quit and how you make good teams average.

Something that has been bothering me since we first hired Bohl has been this opinion that we couldn't get the athletes to run the spread and now we are going in the right direstion with a physical running team. I remeber during the end of the Glenn years and when we fired him, we complained that we weren't able to get the hog mollys needed to be a pound it up the gut team. Quotes like"we aren't like Alabama where we can get the huge linemen and impose our will", "we need to be able to create mismatches on the edges to nuetralize our lack of size" No that a coach has failed here with a spread now we say things like" we can't get the athletes/speed neccasary to run the spread, we need to just pound it ahead and be tough". I'm not advocating one style over the other(personnally I prefer the spread) but we as fans go so far from one extreme to the other its kinda funny. I think Coach Bohl is a great coach But I just hope we aren't back here in 5 years saying "Why did we think we could run the ball down peoples throats? We don't have the linemaen to do that."

SAME CONCERN HERE!

Hard work beats talent....to an extent....like squatting 700lbs....one could train like hell...achieve new heights...still not squat 700....same with speed...you can increase it .....but got to have it to begin with.

*Also concerned about the aging "tampa 2" But he has a good track record and I think it was a great hire......just like I thought Glenn---smoke and mirrors....DC-insert jab here-...were as well. :twocents:
Last edited by BJC on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

BJC wrote: SAME CONCERN HERE!
*Also concerned about the aging "tampa 2" But he has a good track record and I think it was a great hire......just like I thought Glenn---smoke and mirrors....DC-insert jab here-...were as well. :twocents:
I'm with you guys. I really like the Bohl hire and I am sure he is smart enough to adjust to what he needs to do.

I am concerned with the smash mouth philosophy as well as the Tampa 2. Both of these require excellent lines. For some reason, we haven't been able to build and sustain solid lines.

I'm also concerned with the spread Os and decent QBs (generally) in our league, that the quick hitting passes will kill the Tampa 2.

Really good hire, nonetheless. I also like his motivational ability and his apparent track record of coaching kids up. Certainly things we've been lacking. I'm not complaining at all.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
braves84
Buckaroo

i sincerley hope the next 5 years go well for you guys because that's as long as bohl will be there one way or the other, either he will exceed expectations and another bigger school will go and get him from you or he will fail miserably don't think so, and he will get booted faster than you can sing ragtime joe. I think the 1st year will be a struggle but after, you guys will see definite improvement year after year he is just to good of a coach.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I so badly want Wyo and Utah play in the Vegas Bowl and have Wyo pitch a shutout, while putting up 35 points.

I predict Utah wins <5 games in 2014, and Kyle and his band of merry offensive coordinators, including Dave the dip poop, all end up looking for a job. The only way Dave sees the Las Vegas Bowl is if he buys a ticket.
I just looked at their schedule and I agree.
I still want to play them though.
Maybe they pull of 6 wins and Wyo beating them 35-0 is what ends the Whittingham era in SLC.

They should be able to beat Idaho State, Fresno St., CU, maybe Wazzu, maybe Michigan (they suck since Hoke took over and they were LUCKY as hell to get into that BCS Bowl that first year...what a joke) and maybe 1 other conference game to get to 6-6.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Joe Glenn was close to getting us to a smash mouth football team. He missed on a qb, and a couple of offensive linemen. Still, a lot of those defenses he had we're able to match up with anybody in the country, not just MWC teams.

I think Bohl is better equipped to instill that smash mouth system that Glenn almost made work. He's had unparalleled success against FBS teams at the FCS level, with 25 fewer scholarships.

National Champions 1943.

I do.