the Jason Thompson era...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
alyssa wrote:I've enjoyed watching BS play (when I can watch).
I see a lot of QBs have bad games because of OL problems. Lots of sieves out there.

I wish the NCAA would lower the amount of scholarships available for the privileged power conferences (I don't care how mad it makes them or the complaints they would have about less scholarship players) and let the teams left out of the power games able to recruit mo' bettuh playuhz with the 25 scholarships.
I thought all FBS schools had the same amount of scholarships...?
They do, that's why she wants the elite teams to have reduced #'s.
Let the small schools have a chance.
Not all the 3, 4, and 5 stars can go to the big programs if they can't offer.
I've come to the belated revelation that the stars are based upon who offers the player. If a kid is getting multiple offers from the power conference schools, he'll get a five star rating. The fewer power schools that want you the lower true rating. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that a "three star" kid is not as good as a "five star" kid, only that many power conference didn't offer. So, had Brett gotten more attention, he'd have gotten more stars even though he's the same athlete. The point here is finding those athletes that are flying under the radar and going after them. Basically, you're going against the grain trying to get kids that the big boys want.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Brew_Poke wrote:
cowboyz wrote:Speaking of QB's, it was nice to see ACS with another 4th quarter comeback for the second week in a row for Vandy. Too bad our D can't keep us close enough to see Brett lead us to a 4th quarter comeback.
He must've saw a pass-out drunk co ed in the end zone.
So if DC isn't fired and Brett Smith decides enough is enough and transfers, will we be talking poop on him? I will cheer Brett regardless of where he ends up, and so long as he's not lined up against Wyoming.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The Virginian wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
I see a lot of QBs have bad games because of OL problems. Lots of sieves out there.

I wish the NCAA would lower the amount of scholarships available for the privileged power conferences (I don't care how mad it makes them or the complaints they would have about less scholarship players) and let the teams left out of the power games able to recruit mo' bettuh playuhz with the 25 scholarships.
I've come to the belated revelation that the stars are based upon who offers the player. If a kid is getting multiple offers from the power conference schools, he'll get a five star rating. The fewer power schools that want you the lower true rating. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that a "three star" kid is not as good as a "five star" kid, only that many power conference didn't offer. So, had Brett gotten more attention, he'd have gotten more stars even though he's the same athlete. The point here is finding those athletes that are flying under the radar and going after them. Basically, you're going against the grain trying to get kids that the big boys want.
Sounds about right.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

The Virginian wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

Absolutely correct.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

WYCowboy wrote:
The Virginian wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

Absolutely correct.
That is pretty much what I understand as well. Much the same logic applies to the strength of schedule analysis that bowls, the NCAA Selection Committee and innumerable media commentators apply at the end of the season.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

jcintherock wrote:...can't start soon enough.

Mr. Smith is fatally flawed.

In every aspect....at least with Thompson you get D1 arm strength

Peace
Were you the same guy that argued that U.W. should not ever try to recruit Cheyenne East's James Johnson back in the day because he could not get into a college and he was too old to really turn into a good college basketball player?
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

It appeared in Logan to me that Brett was playing for himself and his fellow players but not who was calling the plays. As after he came off the field he just stood there with his arms folded looking out onto the field obviously not happy with what was going on. It was just kind of, when he went to the sideline, he was "there you go".....I don't care for the play calling but I will do it.

I feel that Brett is an incredible competitor and that under a different head coach he would have progressed more instead of getting so beat up. I like several of the assistants and feel that they would make great assistants under a different head coach.

If Brett decides to enter the draft I will wish him nothing but the best, but if he does leave I feel we will be in good hands with Jason Thompson....I just hope that he stays!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I really want a coach who will bring a pro-style.
I've said it before, but with some actually blocking up front, and giving Smith the option to roll out, and have Wick and May pound it up the middle, the Pokes offense could do a lot of damage. The same damage they did this season, but not making the defense be on the field within 3 minutes regardless of score or punt.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Gunshow03
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:I really want a coach who will bring a pro-style.
I've said it before, but with some actually blocking up front, and giving Smith the option to roll out, and have Wick and May pound it up the middle, the Pokes offense could do a lot of damage. The same damage they did this season, but not making the defense be on the field within 3 minutes regardless of score or punt.
Yes! I'm all for a pro style offense.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Gunshow03 wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I really want a coach who will bring a pro-style.
Yes! I'm all for a pro style offense.
+1
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

I'm indifferent to the style of offense or defense we run; so long as it works, I'm happy.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:I'm indifferent to the style of offense or defense we run; so long as it works, I'm happy.
+1
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Glenn ran Pro- Style a lot, and I remember a lot of complaints on here about our lack of offense.
And for those of you that say Smith isn't any good or we can better without him, name me a solid QB we had between Casey Bramlet and Smith? The answer is, you can't.
How about between Casey Bramlet and Josh Wallwork? Anybody? And if you say Stoner, god help your knowledge in what a college QB should be.
People want to look at how many wins Smith has that shows how quality he is, well, Smith threw 29-43-383-4-1 any ran 8-92-0 in a 34-37 loss to Nebraska. Smith put it all on the field and we lost. Smiths fault? Or overall team?
How about Smith going 29-48-498-7-0 and ran 16-142-1, we still only won 59-56 to a bad Hawaii team. Smith again left it all on the field. Was it Smiths fault that we almost lost this game? Not so much.
Yeah, there were other games where he played average at best, what QB doesn't have those games, especially when his surrounding cast is making terrible mistakes as well.
Not to mention in over 100 years of football we've never had a QB with such a good TD to INT ratio, and Smith, while having some bad games, has done great year after year at adding to that stat.
We currently have a QB who takes care of the ball. Something that we have rarely if ever had.
So while you Arm Chair QBs decide to continue to criticize this young man, just know He silences your stance year after year and game after games by his play and numbers.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:Glenn ran Pro- Style a lot, and I remember a lot of complaints on here about our lack of offense.
And for those of you that say Smith isn't any good or we can better without him, name me a solid QB we had between Casey Bramlet and Smith? The answer is, you can't.
How about between Casey Bramlet and Josh Wallwork? Anybody? And if you say Stoner, god help your knowledge in what a college QB should be.
People want to look at how many wins Smith has that shows how quality he is, well, Smith threw 29-43-383-4-1 any ran 8-92-0 in a 34-37 loss to Nebraska. Smith put it all on the field and we lost. Smiths fault? Or overall team?
How about Smith going 29-48-498-7-0 and ran 16-142-1, we still only won 59-56 to a bad Hawaii team. Smith again left it all on the field. Was it Smiths fault that we almost lost this game? Not so much.
Yeah, there were other games where he played average at best, what QB doesn't have those games, especially when his surrounding cast is making terrible mistakes as well.
Not to mention in over 100 years of football we've never had a QB with such a good TD to INT ratio, and Smith, while having some bad games, has done great year after year at adding to that stat.
We currently have a QB who takes care of the ball. Something that we have rarely if ever had.
So while you Arm Chair QBs decide to continue to criticize this young man, just know He silences your stance year after year and game after games by his play and numbers.
+1
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Next year: Thompson QB and GUESS WHAT? Smith at tight end/WR !! A double threat combo to throw. Smith gets experience as to how WR's work. Gets to throw on end-around trick plays. Gets to run as he is so good at. Has good hands. Oh, OK, back thru the looking glass.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

This thread makes me absolutely sick
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Wyogogo wrote:This thread makes me absolutely sick
Agreed
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!