Texas Tech Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:15 pm and they are gonna let Peas run.
I would hope so. It's not like there is much of an alternative like passing.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 pm What is Craig Bohl vs P5? 1-8 or 1-9 or something like that?

There's a reason. The 1 win was a against a 5 win Missouri team. If you're 1 dimensional, you have to be able to bully people. Our roster isn't going to bully defenses from a decent or better P5 program.

Tech will be good enough to stop the run and dare WYO to throw. Of course we can't throw, so we know how that ends.
Just to piggyback off of this:

Key offensive ranks in MWC post-Josh Allen):

2018: 12/12 pass offense, 10/12 total offense (yds), 12/12 points, 6-6 record

2019: 11/12 pass offense, 10/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 8-5 record

2020: 9/12 pass offense, 9/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 2-4 record

2021: 10/12 pass offense, 7/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 7-6 record

2022: 10/12 pass offense, 9/12 total offense (yds), 8/12 points, 7-6 record

Lol.
I wondered if AF would rank below the POKES in passing but I had no idea there would be another team worse than us in passing, let alone 4 teams scoring fewer points.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:23 pm
I wondered if AF would rank below the POKES in passing
Yea...though Wyoming consistently outperforms AFA in passing offense, they've usually been pretty close to each other at the bottom. Which is....sad.

-2018 Wyo and AFA were tied for last at exactly 1,576 yards.

-2019 Wyoming only beat AFA out by 168 yards.

-2020 was the weird Covid year, where the bottom 4 teams (UW, USU, CSU, and AFA...in that order) ranged from 920 to 502.

-2021 and 2022 both had better separation, with Wyoming beating out both AFA and UNM by a healthy margin. But again, it's AFA and....UNM. Lol.
let alone 4 teams scoring fewer points.
Hawai'i, UNR, CSU, and UNM. Some of the worst teams in the entire country (literally...CSU and UNM were in the bottom three with UMass, lol), and we only beat UH and UNR out by 19 pts and 50 pts, respectively.

We also got beat out by USU, UNLV, and SDSU...three teams that had some abysmal stretches. Remember, USU got clobbered 35-7 by Weber State, SDSU barely squeaked by some unimpressive teams and had several very low-scoring games, and UNLV went 5-7 with 6 straight losses in the second half of the season. Lmao.

If we didn't have such a potent run game, solid special teams, and a defense that, while not as dominant as they once were, has still overperformed in spite of the insane positions the offense puts it in...we'd be the laughingstock of the country instead of a somewhat respectable mid-level MWC team.

We're literally the G5 equivalent of Iowa.
doreno5
Cowpoke
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 91 times

[

[/quote]

I wish.

Iowa was 8-5 , won their bowl game, and that was considered a bad year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:51 am [

I wish.

[/quote]

Agreed...nobody is confusing Iowa with Ohio St anytime soon but they occupy a very respected spot in college football....remarkably consistent in a good way.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21 am
doreno5 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:51 am [

I wish.

Agreed...nobody is confusing Iowa with Ohio St anytime soon but they occupy a very respected spot in college football....remarkably consistent in a good way.
[/quote]

Not Iowa. Maybe a little worse version of AZ State?
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:51 am
I wish.

...and had one of the most maligned and ridiculed offenses and OCs in all of college football. It was a literal meme across CFB communities all year, lol. And Iowa fans are absolutely seething at the nepotism.

It's not a 1:1 comparison when you consider results, but the teams are built very similarly and run on similar philosophies. More to the point, Iowa is literally the model Bohl chases. (It's not a coincidence our OC is their former OL coach, on top of having ties to Bohl.)

Bohl doesn't seem to understand, though, that you can't play bully ball unless you have one of the top defenses in the entire country. Something Iowa routinely has, but we do not. We've come close a few times (at least in a few key categories) and that's when we've had the most success, but yea. Wyoming is not a place you can consistently have that level of talent.

Also, that philosophy works far better in the B1G than anywhere else because that's B1G football in general and almost everyone runs it (though that's starting to change a little bit.)

We are Iowa. But with far worse results, because...it's Laramie.

I'm always amused when I remember that Burman himself said as much when he hired DC. Something along the lines of "you can't just run over guys at Wyoming; you have to be innovative". Now, DC was a disaster and Bohl was the best hire at the time by a mile, don't get me wrong...but the facts don't change. Lol.
House Divided RV
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

Howdy from Texas!

I just got on your site and saw this thread. My family as well will be traveling to Laramie from Amarillo. I just started looking at parking options and was hoping to get more info to cheap lots, etc. I checked the University and single game parking is like $50 and up. I wasn't sure if there were local lots like at churches, businesses, etc., that might have good prices for parking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are super excited about visiting as we have never been to Wyoming. Looking forward to meeting some great people in 9 days!
Last edited by House Divided RV on Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
House Divided RV
Buckaroo

Also, where is the best place to watch football games on TV? Will need a place to go on Sunday! :)
WyoPoke
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

This Tech team returns 18 starters from their 42-25 bowl win over Ole Miss. I've also heard a lot about them having the deepest and most experienced D Line in the Big 12. Then you add on them returning their QB1... this game could get ugly quick.
Gov of UW
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

Matador96 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:44 am Good afternoon. Texas Tech Fan here. There are quite a few Tech fans looking to make the trip to Laramie. Looking forward to discussing the game with you, and hopefully get some advice on parking, where to hang out before the game, and the pre-game experience. What is the atmosphere like?

Taking the road trip with my daughter, who is a sophomore at Tech and her roommate.

Game wise, the common thought is that your defense is stout, and the strength of your team. The comparison to a Big 12 team is like an Iowa State. Fair? Totally off base?

What can we expect from the Cowboys on the field? Who are the studs we need to watch for?

Hope y’all are having a great summer.
WreckEm!

Friday nights, part of the marching band goes bar to bar playing songs. They start at Mulligans I believe around 8:30/9:00. 3rd street used to have great long island ice teas. Cowboy down on 2nd is a western dance hall.

We have two campers at our tailgate, visiting fans always welcome at our camp. Summit Lot 5th wheel and bumper tow. w/ black f150 parked next to it. Summit lot is east of 22nd behind the Hilton. Look for the super fan (myself).

In the Ford Lot (next to stadium), there is a party row next to the practice facility, it can be fun, but extremely crowded. I suggest the 4 spots at the end towards 22nd, the last one has a smoker. Tell them SKIP sent ya!

Look for the shot girls, free shots and who knows what they put in them.

Home crowd is usually pretty good, you'll get a few bad apples here and there that aren't very welcoming.

Since its a long weekend, I suggest on Sunday cruising up to the Snowies above Centennial.
RedRaider836
Buckaroo

Sup Pokes! Red Raider in Oklahoma here. Can’t wait to get up in some 7,000’ air this weekend.

Best of luck to y’all this year, kick some ass in the Mountain West. I know a lot of Red Raider will be rooting for the Cowboys
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 17 times

Is it me, or do Tech fans seem pretty cool?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

House Divided RV wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:26 am Also, where is the best place to watch football games on TV? Will need a place to go on Sunday! :)
Several options...

Wyoming Rib & Chop (awful food, tons of TV's)
The Library (see above)
Mulligans (bar with a food truck at times)
Born In A Barn (best food option - wings)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

phxpoke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:07 pm Is it me, or do Tech fans seem pretty cool?
Much cooler than many of our conference mates' fan bases. They are like New Mexico fans to me. Decent people
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:36 am
House Divided RV wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:26 am Also, where is the best place to watch football games on TV? Will need a place to go on Sunday! :)
Several options...

The Library (see above)
Crowbar - is yummy
Roxies - OK food lots of TVs
Altitude - decent food, TVs
Anongs - yummy Thai food
Alibi - good food
Lovejoys - decent food and lots of TVs
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 49 times

Rib & Chop has crappy food? WOW!!! I ate there in 2019, I believe, and the food was great.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:57 am
McPeachy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:36 am

Several options...

The Library (see above)
Crowbar - is yummy
Anongs - yummy Thai food
Alibi - good food
Roxies is out of the food game. Bar only. Agree on Crowbar, and Altitude. Forgot about Lovejoy's, good call.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:06 pm Rib & Chop has crappy food? WOW!!! I ate there in 2019, I believe, and the food was great.
Covid killed it...their food quality and presentation hasn't been close to the same since. Crapplebee's has better steak, as sad as that is for me to even say.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:19 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:57 am
Crowbar - is yummy
Anongs - yummy Thai food
Alibi - good food
Roxies is out of the food game. Bar only. Agree on Crowbar, and Altitude. Forgot about Lovejoy's, good call.
Really? Guess I haven't been to Roxie's in a long time lol