If we can keep Maldonado, Foster, Marble, Taylor, Thompson for the next coach..

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7159
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

then I think the rebuild won't be too painful. There's five players right there. Milton is not bad either. A good coach would have made something of this team this year. :|
Vt poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6154
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Cheyenne, again

If they decide to stay as well, they will sure be battle tested
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2922
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 pm

stymeman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:09 pm
If they decide to stay as well, they will sure be battle tested
But they make think they died and went to heaven.
User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Vt poke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
I haven't watched the same team as you I guess. Many of the terrible Wyoming basketball teams in my lifetime had special players worth watching — in recent years Brandon Ewing, Leonard Washington, Afam Muojeke, Luke Martinez. This team is at best a collection of role guys who are held back worse by poor coaching. Maldonado is a nice player but he is not special on a Brandon Ewing type level. I have given up high hopes for Hunter Thompson. Foster I think could be a high level talent but he's basically a baby out there. A good coach could scheme these guys to some wins but it will take a full rebuild with a new wave of recruits to bring us back I fear.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
I haven't watched the same team as you I guess. Many of the terrible Wyoming basketball teams in my lifetime had special players worth watching — in recent years Brandon Ewing, Leonard Washington, Afam Muojeke, Luke Martinez. This team is at best a collection of role guys who are held back worse by poor coaching. Maldonado is a nice player but he is not special on a Brandon Ewing type level. I have given up high hopes for Hunter Thompson. Foster I think could be a high level talent but he's basically a baby out there. A good coach could scheme these guys to some wins but it will take a full rebuild with a new wave of recruits to bring us back I fear.
JJ was a special player. Josh Adams was a special player. They played together, but it was Josh’s team and then JJ’s team. My point is recently we’ve had talented guys, but that doesn’t always end up with wins. The 2014 team was absolutely loaded. This year’s team the last two games has shown they can play upper and mid level MWC teams tight at home and on the road. I’d rather have 4 guys in double figures than 1 guy averaging 23 a game. The emergence has coincided with Marble playing a lot more
User avatar
Poke in New England
Ranch Hand
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Vt poke wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
I haven't watched the same team as you I guess. Many of the terrible Wyoming basketball teams in my lifetime had special players worth watching — in recent years Brandon Ewing, Leonard Washington, Afam Muojeke, Luke Martinez. This team is at best a collection of role guys who are held back worse by poor coaching. Maldonado is a nice player but he is not special on a Brandon Ewing type level. I have given up high hopes for Hunter Thompson. Foster I think could be a high level talent but he's basically a baby out there. A good coach could scheme these guys to some wins but it will take a full rebuild with a new wave of recruits to bring us back I fear.
JJ was a special player. Josh Adams was a special player. They played together, but it was Josh’s team and then JJ’s team. My point is recently we’ve had talented guys, but that doesn’t always end up with wins. The 2014 team was absolutely loaded. This year’s team the last two games has shown they can play upper and mid level MWC teams tight at home and on the road. I’d rather have 4 guys in double figures than 1 guy averaging 23 a game. The emergence has coincided with Marble playing a lot more

If you want to see an Allen Edwards team with talent, the 17-18 team had several all-conference caliber players and that team was 10-8 in a mediocre MWC. When they don't have the players we get this.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Poke in New England wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
I haven't watched the same team as you I guess. Many of the terrible Wyoming basketball teams in my lifetime had special players worth watching — in recent years Brandon Ewing, Leonard Washington, Afam Muojeke, Luke Martinez. This team is at best a collection of role guys who are held back worse by poor coaching. Maldonado is a nice player but he is not special on a Brandon Ewing type level. I have given up high hopes for Hunter Thompson. Foster I think could be a high level talent but he's basically a baby out there. A good coach could scheme these guys to some wins but it will take a full rebuild with a new wave of recruits to bring us back I fear.
JJ was a special player. Josh Adams was a special player. They played together, but it was Josh’s team and then JJ’s team. My point is recently we’ve had talented guys, but that doesn’t always end up with wins. The 2014 team was absolutely loaded. This year’s team the last two games has shown they can play upper and mid level MWC teams tight at home and on the road. I’d rather have 4 guys in double figures than 1 guy averaging 23 a game. The emergence has coincided with Marble playing a lot more

If you want to see an Allen Edwards team with talent, the 17-18 team had several all-conference caliber players and that team was 10-8 in a mediocre MWC. When they don't have the players we get this.
There is no doubt that the team with Herndon and Dalton was much better than this team. We are a team with a bunch of guards and a stretch 4. Not exactly a recipe for huge success. This team two weeks ago looked to be on the same path at San Joser a few years ago when they had to use guys from their football team to finish the year. In the last two games, our boys have been very competitive and seem to have turned the corner. If you aren’t happy with the effort and desire that was put forth last game, I’m not sure what would make you happy. This team’s best player’s (with the most upside and eligibility are 2 soph and 2 frosh. We keep them, get a good aggressive go to the hole or go to the rack or dish PG and a banger and we could make ouerselves a contender again.
This team has struggled mightily, but I choose to focus on the positive, and there have been kore in the last two games than we’ve seen most of the year. We are going to pick up a couple more wins this year
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2108
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:28 pm
Location: Wherever I'm At

Vt poke wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:42 pm
Poke in New England wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm
Vt poke wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I think there is a fair amount of talent on this team. Whoever coaches this team just needs to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I think all these players have shown glimpses of talent. Just put it all together and we’ve got ourselves a decent team
I haven't watched the same team as you I guess. Many of the terrible Wyoming basketball teams in my lifetime had special players worth watching — in recent years Brandon Ewing, Leonard Washington, Afam Muojeke, Luke Martinez. This team is at best a collection of role guys who are held back worse by poor coaching. Maldonado is a nice player but he is not special on a Brandon Ewing type level. I have given up high hopes for Hunter Thompson. Foster I think could be a high level talent but he's basically a baby out there. A good coach could scheme these guys to some wins but it will take a full rebuild with a new wave of recruits to bring us back I fear.
JJ was a special player. Josh Adams was a special player. They played together, but it was Josh’s team and then JJ’s team. My point is recently we’ve had talented guys, but that doesn’t always end up with wins. The 2014 team was absolutely loaded. This year’s team the last two games has shown they can play upper and mid level MWC teams tight at home and on the road. I’d rather have 4 guys in double figures than 1 guy averaging 23 a game. The emergence has coincided with Marble playing a lot more

If you want to see an Allen Edwards team with talent, the 17-18 team had several all-conference caliber players and that team was 10-8 in a mediocre MWC. When they don't have the players we get this.
There is no doubt that the team with Herndon and Dalton was much better than this team. We are a team with a bunch of guards and a stretch 4. Not exactly a recipe for huge success. This team two weeks ago looked to be on the same path at San Joser a few years ago when they had to use guys from their football team to finish the year. In the last two games, our boys have been very competitive and seem to have turned the corner. If you aren’t happy with the effort and desire that was put forth last game, I’m not sure what would make you happy. This team’s best player’s (with the most upside and eligibility are 2 soph and 2 frosh. We keep them, get a good aggressive go to the hole or go to the rack or dish PG and a banger and we could make ouerselves a contender again.
This team has struggled mightily, but I choose to focus on the positive, and there have been kore in the last two games than we’ve seen most of the year. We are going to pick up a couple more wins this year
MAYBE a home win or two, but that's the ceiling. Edwards' ceiling is just above that.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Winka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
User avatar
SDPokeFan
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: South Dakota

While Edwards is a horrible coach, it’s not all on him. I guess I don’t see the talent you see. Few if any of these guys would see meaningful minutes in a good team.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

SDPokeFan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm
While Edwards is a horrible coach, it’s not all on him. I guess I don’t see the talent you see. Few if any of these guys would see meaningful minutes in a good team.
The title of this post is delusional. It assumes some other D1 school would want any of these players. That's debatable. Then it assumes the new coach wants to build a program around this group. That's highly unlikely.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7159
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

bladerunnr wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 pm
SDPokeFan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm
While Edwards is a horrible coach, it’s not all on him. I guess I don’t see the talent you see. Few if any of these guys would see meaningful minutes in a good team.
The title of this post is delusional. It assumes some other D1 school would want any of these players. That's debatable. Then it assumes the new coach wants to build a program around this group. That's highly unlikely.
Good coaches could absolutly make good use of these players. Are they great players? no. Good players? sure . Are we going to win championships if these are our best players? no. Could we be a middle of the pack team with these players? I think a good coach could do so
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Bodfish, CA

LanderPoke wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:58 pm
bladerunnr wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 pm
SDPokeFan wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:48 pm
While Edwards is a horrible coach, it’s not all on him. I guess I don’t see the talent you see. Few if any of these guys would see meaningful minutes in a good team.
The title of this post is delusional. It assumes some other D1 school would want any of these players. That's debatable. Then it assumes the new coach wants to build a program around this group. That's highly unlikely.
Good coaches could absolutly make good use of these players. Are they great players? no. Good players? sure . Are we going to win championships if these are our best players? no. Could we be a middle of the pack team with these players? I think a good coach could do so
This was the point I was trying to make last year when the team was comprised of 4 guys watching JJ do, anything. The year before that it was 4 guys watching Dalton do, anything. The year before that it was 4 guys watching Josh Adams, do EVERYTHING!! This has been the coaching strategy for this staff, and now that Hunter^2 hasn't been able to fill that role, this staff has not other option. I will say it again, this "Team" hasn't played like a team since Edwards took over...it has always been a 4 watch 1 game for him....
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: Bodfish, CA

I think there are good individual players on this team, (not near the level of a JJ, JA, or LN) but if coached to play as a team like the game was meant to be played, I don't believe we would be having this discussion. A different coach, that has had to deal with this concept of "team" is what we need, simple as that.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:15 pm

They need a real point guard, 2 physical bigs, and a reliable three point shooter on top of the guys mentioned in the thread. Maldo is good enough to be the go to guy he just needs to be playing off ball. Hunter T would look allot better playing as a stretch 4 with a physical center. The guys that play look worse than they are because they are playing out of position. Some of the guys are not D1 players like AJ and Porter tho.
User avatar
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:40 pm

this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
User avatar
SDPokeFan
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: South Dakota

HomeOnTheRange wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm
this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
Good post. Interesting and sad stats. They are 280th in 3-pt percentage but keep jacking them at a rate that would lead you to believe there are 12 Steph Currys on the team.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7159
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

SDPokeFan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm
this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
Good post. Interesting and sad stats. They are 280th in 3-pt percentage but keep jacking them at a rate that would lead you to believe there are 12 Steph Currys on the team.
That's because AE has no instincts for basketball. Total incompetence. He's effectively burned this program to the ground. Thanks for nothing, AE. Thanks for nothing, Burman, you idiot. Hire a real coach next time with real experience and qualifications.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

SDPokeFan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm
this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
Good post. Interesting and sad stats. They are 280th in 3-pt percentage but keep jacking them at a rate that would lead you to believe there are 12 Steph Currys on the team.
What should they do? Tell me about the many post up players on the team. They shoot threes because that's the only open looks they can get. Whenever they go inside, they're eating leather. A team with no size and no bulk has very few offensive options.
User avatar
SDPokeFan
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: South Dakota

bladerunnr wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm
SDPokeFan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 pm
this rebuild is gonna be painful as heck

our KenPom numbers are among the very very very worst in the nation. And it's been multiple seasons of that at this point

332nd in adjusted offensive efficiency
263rd in effective FG%
233rd in turnover %
353rd in offensive rebounding %
280th in 3-pt FG%
271st in block %
282nd in steal %
309th in opponent's steal %

and these numbers were somehow boosted by the 300th best out-of-conference schedule

the level of incompetence this coaching staff has displayed the past two years is staggering. There are very few useful parts in the program. They've missed on so many guys
Good post. Interesting and sad stats. They are 280th in 3-pt percentage but keep jacking them at a rate that would lead you to believe there are 12 Steph Currys on the team.
What should they do? Tell me about the many post up players on the team. They shoot threes because that's the only open looks they can get. Whenever they go inside, they're eating leather. A team with no size and no bulk has very few offensive options.
Good point, blade. I can't argue that. They can't shoot and can't go inside. I guess that's why they have the record they have.
Post Reply