Rocky interesting article

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

We can only hope....
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

How much does Long's style of defense differ from what Hazelton and Dickert ran? A big reason Hazelton turned things around so quickly is due to him simplifying the defense and stressing fundamentals. That carried on to Dickert which is why he had such a successful season as a coordinator last year.

Wyoming has ran a hybrid 4-2-5 defense with a nickel back/outside linebacker that is more of a corner/safety. Doesn't SDSU run that 3-3-5 defense with a similar nickel back type of role? If Long used a nickel back similarly to UW then I feel like Bohl could make a pretty solid pitch to him.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I've read his sister lives in Laramie. Not sure if he's for the idea of competing head-to-head with Gonzales at UNM though.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Can u imagine a multiple front defense that sometimes employs four front, or three front hybrid, followed by the same second down set up... That would be devasting. Might breed a new defense for the football world to dissect?
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm I've read his sister lives in Laramie. Not sure if he's for the idea of competing head-to-head with Gonzales at UNM though.
I thought it was his brother. I'm likely wrong though. I don't know if Bohl would want to blow up the defense too much this year by switching out schemes.

I think he was making like $800k at SDSU. I'm sure Wyoming could get $500-$600k for him if they wanted him bad enough. Scottie was in the $500k range when he was here.

I wonder about Breske? I'd think with Bohl's conditioning program and defensive mindset, he'd be a good fit here again. Lots of experience with the 4-3 and 3-4.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 amI wonder about Breske? I'd think with Bohl's conditioning program and defensive mindset, he'd be a good fit here again. Lots of experience with the 4-3 and 3-4.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the sidelines. He's coached with Bohl before, although it was only for 1 year. He resigned to go back to Montana to be the DC and secondary coach.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am
J-Rod wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:43 pm I've read his sister lives in Laramie. Not sure if he's for the idea of competing head-to-head with Gonzales at UNM though.
I thought it was his brother. I'm likely wrong though. I don't know if Bohl would want to blow up the defense too much this year by switching out schemes.

I think he was making like $800k at SDSU. I'm sure Wyoming could get $500-$600k for him if they wanted him bad enough. Scottie was in the $500k range when he was here.

I wonder about Breske? I'd think with Bohl's conditioning program and defensive mindset, he'd be a good fit here again. Lots of experience with the 4-3 and 3-4.
I wondered about Breske too. He was successful while here and his team looked good against us this year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Does Rocky and Bohl get along??? This could work with our vacancies, I'd welcome it
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Brady Hoke has been pushing for Rocky to return to SDSU as DC pretty hard. If he doesn’t go back I could see him going P5 before coming to UW. I’m not sure if he would even be a great fit here.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Is he a grouch or what?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

stymeman wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 am Is he a grouch or what?
Rocky runs a 3-3-5, Bohl wants a 4-3
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:52 am
Bohl has run a 4-2-5 for the past two years, not a 4-3. His obsession with the Tampa 2 was part of the reason his defenses were poop before Hazelton stepped into the DC role.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

DVDA wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 am
Bohl has run a 4-2-5 for the past two years, not a 4-3. His obsession with the Tampa 2 was part of the reason his defenses were Sh#t before Hazelton stepped into the DC role.
Good call...still, a far cry from a 3-3-5
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Not really. You have to look at our roster, what is possible...

Then read this https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... 121859476/

Rocky's defense is about using what talent u have to get pressure. Our roster could be tweaked. I'm not saying a total switch to 3-3-5, but using both Bohl and longs knowledge, we could use multiple defensive fronts, just like multiple offense.

Long said he wants to make a difference and only coach for a few more years. He has to go somewhere that isn't a total rebuild.

I just have a tingle in my toes about this one
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

carbonpoke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:13 pm Not really. You have to look at our roster, what is possible...

Then read this https://247sports.com/college/arizona-s ... 121859476/

Rocky's defense is about using what talent u have to get pressure. Our roster could be tweaked. I'm not saying a total switch to 3-3-5, but using both Bohl and longs knowledge, we could use multiple defensive fronts, just like multiple offense.

Long said he wants to make a difference and only coach for a few more years. He has to go somewhere that isn't a total rebuild.

I just have a tingle in my toes about this one
I hope your tingle is correct. The knowledge Bohl and Long have amassed over the many decades in coaching could take the Pokes to a whole new level. I guess we shall see.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:45 pm
DVDA wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 am
Bohl has run a 4-2-5 for the past two years, not a 4-3. His obsession with the Tampa 2 was part of the reason his defenses were Sh#t before Hazelton stepped into the DC role.
Good call...still, a far cry from a 3-3-5
Honestly it's not. The nickel back is the most important position in both defenses. I'm going out on a limb here to say Rocky Long has been in football long enough to make the adjustment to a 4 man front from his preferred 3 man front.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

What? Really...? There r 50 nickle backs for every nose tackle. What am I missing?
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I would love to see Rocky on this staff. The experience and recruiting advantage alone is worth it. I however don't see Rocky coming on board at this time.
I'm good for 3!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

carbonpoke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 pm What? Really...? There r 50 nickle backs for every nose tackle. What am I missing?
Wyoming's nickel back is required to play the run and tackle like a linebacker while covering like a corner. It is the position that makes the defense work as well as it has for the past couple of years. Obviously every position and role is important, but the nickel is the biggest difference maker for Wyoming's defense.

Wyoming has been undersized on the defensive line for years. They compensate for the lack of size by being aggressive and taking advantage of the defensive tackles quickness. You don't need a traditional nose tackle to stop the run if you attack aggressively with your front. This is why UW's nickel defense and Rocky's nickel defense are very similar. They are aggressive with their lineman rather than having them sit back and read multiple gaps like a traditional nose tackle would.

I won't disagree that great nose tackles are more rare, but the nickel back is more important in most modern defenses like Wyoming. Watch the 49ers in the super bowl. K'waun Williams is one of the most important parts of their defense as the nickel back. They are undersized with most of their fronts but compensate for it by taking advantage of the ridiculous athleticism they have along the defensive line by aggressively attacking gaps.