Wyo should be 4-4 right now, and that's on the coaches

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Both Hawaii and Utah State were very winnable games. Our team sat on the ball to kill significant clock time before the half each game. We mostly played passively and didn't capitalize when we should've. It truly felt like we weren't playing to win! The cumulation of these decisions puts the onus of quickly driving the ball down the field at the very end of the game using a RS Freshmen QB. That's not fair to our offense, including TVW. Yes, he did this with Woffard, but that game shouldn't have been put on his shoulders the way it was either.

I don't think it's fair to beat up on a new young QB for not pulling through on these tough situations. He doesn't get a complete pass here as it's obvious he's not ready for the job, but the core of the problem lies with how the team and gameplan are executed. I love Bohl, but he really needs to be doing some soul searching.

Rant over, but just imagine if we were 4-4 right now with the remaining schedule. It wouldn't be a stunning season, but a decent one considering the roster. Here's hoping with lay in on the sheep and Carta-Samuels this Friday!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

J-Bone wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 pm That's not fair to our offense, including TVW. Yes, he did this with Woffard, but that game shouldn't have been put on his shoulders the way it was either.
Not to mention, on the final drive vs Wofford, Rocket Junior barely caught a pass and held it off the ground with his fingertips on fourth down. He drops that (like he's dropped many easier passes), we lose instead of win.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

I don’t know. I think his poor play put us in those situations. I sort of thought the coaches were crappy but it looks a lot like it we didn’t have enough talent at QB. I still think you can’t judge a QB by his rs freshmen year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Bone
Ranch Hand

I'm really looking forward to Friday. I believe this team is better than the 2-6 record. We will see!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I still think we go bowling as crazy as that sounds or at least eligible. I think you play Chambers until we lose, if that’s in the next two make save his redshirt. If it gets us to bowl eligible play him, the age of this team could use the bowl practice experience. Disappointed in the staffs talent judgement if Chambers is that much better. Is there a reason why they couldn’t have designed runs for TVW? Pretty entertaining at least this week.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm I still think we go bowling as crazy as that sounds or at least eligible. I think you play Chambers until we lose, if that’s in the next two make save his redshirt. If it gets us to bowl eligible play him, the age of this team could use the bowl practice experience. Disappointed in the staffs talent judgement if Chambers is that much better. Is there a reason why they couldn’t have designed runs for TVW? Pretty entertaining at least this week.
To be fair Chambers may not be completely ready with the playbook. Could have kept him off the field to this point.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

As bad as we have played at QB, we are right where we belong. Hopefully, Chambers is better. I hope we aren't just overreacting to a running QB who threw off USU because of no film on his skill set. It was nice to see us move the ball a little but if Chambers can put touchdown drives together, we can be for real possibly.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 pm As bad as we have played at QB, we are right where we belong. Hopefully, Chambers is better. I hope we aren't just overreacting to a running QB who threw off USU because of no film on his skill set. It was nice to see us move the ball a little but if Chambers can put touchdown drives together, we can be for real possibly.
This is my thought/worry. Everyone seems to be all in on Chambers but in reality we haven't seen much from him. A couple drives wehre he was asked to run the ball. Not sure if he is ready for the entire playbook or will be ready once the opposing team is ready for him. I hope he is but we will see.
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:44 pm I don’t know. I think his poor play put us in those situations. I sort of thought the coaches were crappy but it looks a lot like it we didn’t have enough talent at QB. I still think you can’t judge a QB by his rs freshmen year.
It's poor coaching and player development. And, quite frankly, Bohl lies and protects Vigen, perhaps to launch him somewhere else so he can promote his kid to coordinator level. This offensive brain-trust has never schemed for physical mismatches. They didn't seem to understand the physical offensive advantage when Hollister got the ball often and in space against smaller MWC linebackers and db's. It feels like bullying to harshly judge TVW, but this whole board, plus 17 women on pinterest continue to vilify the senior qb who sat in their system behind Josh, was supposedly barely beat out for the starting job this fall and has a career 67/137 completions 4 td's and 3 ints with bad game planning. Oh, and his ypa is higher than what we've seen all year from TVW. Was TVW the only qb that understood the 2 minute offense? Did any reporter covering the team ask any question tougher than what kind of macaroni Bohl likes? Will it cause them to be uninvited to the Turkey shoot? The current coaching philosophy and lack of player development harms recruiting, culture, and the building of the brand.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

TSpoke wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am
Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 pm As bad as we have played at QB, we are right where we belong. Hopefully, Chambers is better. I hope we aren't just overreacting to a running QB who threw off USU because of no film on his skill set. It was nice to see us move the ball a little but if Chambers can put touchdown drives together, we can be for real possibly.
This is my thought/worry. Everyone seems to be all in on Chambers but in reality we haven't seen much from him. A couple drives wehre he was asked to run the ball. Not sure if he is ready for the entire playbook or will be ready once the opposing team is ready for him. I hope he is but we will see.
Well he can’t be any worse that TVW so what the hell.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm I still think we go bowling as crazy as that sounds or at least eligible. I think you play Chambers until we lose, if that’s in the next two make save his redshirt. If it gets us to bowl eligible play him, the age of this team could use the bowl practice experience. Disappointed in the staffs talent judgement if Chambers is that much better. Is there a reason why they couldn’t have designed runs for TVW? Pretty entertaining at least this week.

As much as Bohl said TVW was athletic, he’s only as athletic as nick smith running the ball. Chambers looked very dynamic running those plays. His one long pass showed more touch than anything TVW threw.
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I've been thinking about that, what would you do with Chambers and his redshirt? Play him until we lose then sit him the last game regardless to save his redshirt? Burn it by 1 game and build confidence moving forward?
1tallpoke
Buckaroo

Think about all the shirts that were burned on offense last 3 years. You play to win the games.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Hopefully if it is Chambers hes ready to go on the road and beat the Sheeep at their nee digs and for us to win the 1st one there
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm As much as Bohl said TVW was athletic, he’s only as athletic as nick smith running the ball. Chambers looked very dynamic running those plays. His one long pass showed more touch than anything TVW threw.
Hopefully he didn't do alright throwing the ball because he hasn't been "coached" yet.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand

TVW is athletic, but it looks like he can't really harness it. He usually throws much harder than he needs to. On the easy throws, he chokes. Maybe it's just Freshment nerves and anxiety.

Chambers seems calm and cool. Did anyone watch the post game media session with him? He just went in there and did what the coaches asked of him without worrying about the situation. He's just doing his job. What does he have to lose at this point?

TVW may be the better athlete and player, but it's clear that Chambers has the right mindset to be more productive at this point.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

J-Bone wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:27 am TVW is athletic, but it looks like he can't really harness it. He usually throws much harder than he needs to. On the easy throws, he chokes. Maybe it's just Freshment nerves and anxiety.

Chambers seems calm and cool. Did anyone watch the post game media session with him? He just went in there and did what the coaches asked of him without worrying about the situation. He's just doing his job. What does he have to lose at this point?

TVW may be the better athlete and player, but it's clear that Chambers has the right mindset to be more productive at this point.
Chambers is well-built and just knows how to run. Listened to 1290 this morning and it was said he was the catcher in H.S. for the baseball team so we know he's a physical dude.

He said all the right things in the press conference. team first, etc.

Chambers seems like a natural-born leader. Not that TWV isn't, he just hasn't had the results on the field, yet.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Chambers fake lateral toss sold me on him. It wasn't so much the play itself as how comfortable and natural he acted with it. He didn't seem stressed about keeping the ball at all.
Wyobuck
Buckaroo

Anyone want to see TVW on the field again after last night?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Wyobuck wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:10 am Anyone want to see TVW on the field again after last night?
Yes. We have had success in the past with holders that could throw (Sam Stratton, etc.). Bring on Rothe, snap to TVW who picks it up and rolls to his right to find the tight end wide open in the corner of the end zone.