Pokes go 10-2 next year. !!! Right tackle??

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I'm thinking 7-5 at best hope I'm right, losing a BH isn't an easy fix
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

stymeman wrote:I'm thinking 7-5 at best hope I'm right, losing a BH isn't an easy fix
I'm here too. Losing lots of weapons not only with Hill, but also Maulhardt, Hollister, and Gentry. Hill had 22 tds and the next three had 25 combined with 14 from Gentry. Big shoes to fill at all of the playmaking spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cowduck
Cowpoke

If you think Brian Hill alone is worth multiple wins, you are on glue. The guy is the best back in Wyoming history, but a running back alone just is not responsible for the difference between being a good-to-great team and a mediocre one. I think 10 wins should be the expectation for next season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Cowduck wrote:If you think Brian Hill alone is worth multiple wins, you are on glue. The guy is the best back in Wyoming history, but a running back alone just is not responsible for the difference between being a good-to-great team and a mediocre one. I think 10 wins should be the expectation for next season.
This is where I'm at, too. As great as Hill was he's still a RB. It's not like we are losing our QB. I don't know about 10 wins, but 8-9 is surely possible.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

The last two times we went to a bowl game, we took a dump the next year . I feel more optimistic about next year but I also did following the others.

W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Cowduck wrote:If you think Brian Hill alone is worth multiple wins, you are on glue. The guy is the best back in Wyoming history, but a running back alone just is not responsible for the difference between being a good-to-great team and a mediocre one. I think 10 wins should be the expectation for next season.
But that's not all we're losing.
On top of Hill and his 22 Touchdowns, we're also losing a 1,300 yard receiver who had 14 touchdowns.
A very good TE both as a blocker and threat in Hollister - who caught 7 TDs.
Our tallest and best mismatch receiver in Maulhardt - who had 600 yards.
An incredibly consistent punter with Wood.
An All-American lineman in Roullier.

I think our defense will improve, but even so, losing Wacha, May, and Appleby is a lot of experience.

I think our runningbacks will do well, but they're not going to match Hill's production, and they'll also cough up the ball a few times because of inexperience.

I just don't think we get 10 wins next year. At Iowa and Oregon at home will both be incredibly tough. Oregon had a bad year this season, but they're still way more talented than us. Taggart is a good coach - and I'd feel a lot better about that game if it was week 1.

Then we play at Boise State, and while they lose a great runner (like us), they're still a better team than us, and at home. Can we win that one? Yes. But to expect it? Ehhhh... I think not.

Similarly, I don't expect to go into Colorado Springs to win. I hope we'll be favorites going into it, but I also know it's always a tight game.

Lobos will be tough too, but we play them at home, so I actually do expect us to win that one.

What I do think about next season is that we'll start seeing that we have depth, and that's something we haven't seen in very long. On top of that, with how much Rothe improved over the season, I expect his production early on will be a lot better than this year.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I don't think the team takes a step back, I'm just unsure of them taking a step forward. 7-8 wins sounds about right, but as laxwyo said...with knowledge that we've said this before in the past and the following season proved to be a humbling experience. Just maintaining what happened in 2016 into 2017 would be a hugely positive development...cause it would be a first this millennium.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
On top of Hill and his 22 Touchdowns, we're also losing a 1,300 yard receiver who had 14 touchdowns.

I think our defense will improve, but even so, losing Wacha, May, and Appleby is a lot of experience.

I think our runningbacks will do well, but they're not going to match Hill's production, and they'll also cough up the ball a few times because of inexperience.

I just don't think we get 10 wins next year. At Iowa and Oregon at home will both be incredibly tough. Oregon had a bad year this season, but they're still way more talented than us. Taggart is a good coach - and I'd feel a lot better about that game if it was week 1.

Then we play at Boise State, and while they lose a great runner (like us), they're still a better team than us, and at home. Can we win that one? Yes. But to expect it? Ehhhh... I think not.

Similarly, I don't expect to go into Colorado Springs to win. I hope we'll be favorites going into it, but I also know it's always a tight game.

Lobos will be tough too, but we play them at home, so I actually do expect us to win that one.

What I do think about next season is that we'll start seeing that we have depth, and that's something we haven't seen in very long. On top of that, with how much Rothe improved over the season, I expect his production early on will be a lot better than this year.
All decent points, but other than Wood, the guys behind them have gotten a fair amount of playing time this year, particularly on defense.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I'm in the 8 to 10 win camp. The reasons....Bohl will have a deeper, more experienced team. We do lose some studs. Hill, Gentry, Maulhardt, Hollister, May, Wacha, Wick, Appleby and Rollier were all solid. But, that is all we lose (those are the seniors who played and we lost two during the season). We put together an 8 win season starting the youngest line-up in the MWC....plugging holes with true freshman and walk-ons. One more year under Dennison in the weight room. One more year to develop. This team will be stout in the trenches next year. Our O will be solid next year. Allen will have had a year under his belt. Johnson, Price, Parker, and Conway all have game experience and are good. John Okwoli was our top recruit last year. Cumming coming back from injury. The ability to redshirt some freshman....something we haven't been able to do in Bohls first couple years.

Our D will take a huge step forward IMO. We'll get Granderson back. We don't lose anyone in the backfield. We lose some linebackers, but had some younger guys step up. And we were able to redshirt some good looking linebackers recruited last year. etc. etc. etc.

I understand why some people think we'll take a step back...but consider how this young team played this year? We were a year away by most prognostications....next year will be the year we have been waiting for. Not this year...next year.

Go Pokes!!
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

We lose way to much offensive fire power to be a 10 win season.

I could see 6-8 wins at the absolute must.

JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

We went from 2 to 8 wins in one year. To say we take a step back, when we lose the fewest starters in the MWC.....to me that is silly talk. We are to the point where we are able to reload not rebuild. Have faith in the system. I know Bohl has said on many occasions that he thought we were a year away. I'll believe him.

I'm leaning closer to 8 vs 10 wins. But, I think 10 is doable if things come together.

For those of you who think we take a step back...what were your expectations for this year? Just curious.
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

We won some close games early. Didn't go our way later in the year. I see 6-7 wins. Just a hunch

W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

I hear what you're saying, most of those losses on offense are significant. Probably Roullier most of all, but the rest of that O-line is young as poop and will have another year to get stronger and more cohesive. I think CJ Johnson is ready to take up a lot of the slack in the WR department and I bet we see a lot more of Conway in the slot next year. I'll bet Harshman provides solid production at TE. I don't think any of the defensive losses are all that problematic, honestly. Appleby was probably the most valuable of them (and the run D after his injury bears that out) but I think an offseason for Ghaifan and the other young interior linemen will help solidify the front. We get Granderson back. There's just too much youth around the squad and evidence that this coaching staff is really good at developing players to be all that worried about losing a few seniors.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:No Allen. No Hill. 6-6 with Bowl.
Huh? All we saw was a speculation article on how people would see Allen as an NFL prospect. That's it.
That's the way I saw it too. But I'm just forecasting that IF Allen goes and IF Hill also goes, the Poke are a 6-6 team.
I said nothing about them actually going (which they very well may do) but IF they go (by getting hurt. Or getting locked up. Or quitting for some reason) then 6-6.
Hills gone - we all know that. Ridiculous to even consider Josh going after his sophomore year. He knows he needs more experience. Nonsense to even post that he would go this year.

carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Our oline is going to be border line dominant next year, especially from the guards out to the tackles. Webb will be in the mix.

Granderson is coming off a knee injury, so look for production to be kinda less than expected. I'm expecting our o tackles to be the best duo in the conference, if not the nation.

Our dbacks will be excellent.

Overstreet knee worries me... However from what I saw from spring last year is that Milo was the guy we need to get on the field. Behind that line, I'm not so sure we might do some three back sets, like full tee or power I with drew.... Not a lot, but maybe 10-20℅ of our 22 package. That would be intriguing as hell.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

I'm pretty certain that outside of the normal rah rah stuff around signing day (everyone is the next Cowboy superstar), nobody accurately predicted the output of this year's outgoing class.

If Bohl is building a program, years 4 and 5 should be even better. The question shouldn't revolve around how far we step back but rather who are next great Cowboys that get a chance to step up. We are not a senior laden team losing everyone.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

I think losing Hollister and Roullier will be a bigger loss than losing Hill, Maulhardt, and Gentry. I understand Brian is a game changer but he had a great year as a sophomore and we went 2-10. He wasn't the reason we won 6 more games this year. That was the Josh Allen factor. Additionally, you aren't going to have the same type of receivers as Maulhardt and Gentry, but there is enough talent on the roster that guys will be able to step up and fill those vacancies without many noticing. As long as the defense keeps making strides the offense will be able to hold its own.