Bohl signs an extension

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 35 times

His contract runs through the 2023 season. Base salary is $1.4 million dollars. Buyout starts at $6.5 million and declines annually.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

$1.4 Million base? Those bonuses are going would have to be pretty big for him to agree to that, no? Even though I believe he loves UW, that's a lot cheaper than what I expected!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:$1.4 Million base? Those bonuses are going would have to be pretty big for him to agree to that, no? Even though I believe he loves UW, that's a lot cheaper than what I expected!
I anticipate that Craig bohl is not in it for the money at this point in his career.

I think it would be difficult to swing much more money when the college and the state is hemorrhaging funds and making budget cuts to healthcare and education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:$1.4 Million base? Those bonuses are going would have to be pretty big for him to agree to that, no? Even though I believe he loves UW, that's a lot cheaper than what I expected!
That's a pretty big jump over the base money from his initial deal. Wasn't it like 300k?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
nirv117
Ranch Hand

Hopefully there is plenty for assistant coaches so we can get and keep the best.
God is a Cowboy
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

nirv117 wrote:Hopefully there is plenty for assistant coaches so we can get and keep the best.
Very important.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
That's a pretty big jump over the base money from his initial deal. Wasn't it like 300k?
Technically, yes. But his guaranteed salary started at 750,000 the first year. With speaking fees, and bonuses tied to wins, season tickets, and team GPA he was making over or close to 1 million a year. If the bonuses are set up the same with the new deal, he'll most likely be making over $2 million annually
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

It's about double his current base salary. For comparison, DC had a base salary of less than $200k in 2013.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Love the extension and think it's absolutely the right move, but can't stuff like this wait until after next weekend? For example: Burman to Bohl-We'd like to discuss your contract and extend it.
Bohl to Burman: Great! I've got a conference title to win. I'm on board, but let me deal with the task at hand.

poke em
Buckaroo

Of course this thread couldn't make it out of page 1 before someone figured out something to bitch about.

This extension is huge, now Bohl can keep us at the top where we belong.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

$1.4 won't keep the hounds away, but as noted above...maybe this is a sign that money isn't a motivator for Bohl anymore? Could mean more money to keep the gang together too.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 1 time

GoPokes86 wrote:Love the extension and think it's absolutely the right move, but can't stuff like this wait until after next weekend? For example: Burman to Bohl-We'd like to discuss your contract and extend it.
Bohl to Burman: Great! I've got a conference title to win. I'm on board, but let me deal with the task at hand.

I disagree. It shows to fans and players he's all in, for now at least. I think it's great reassurance the day before one of the biggest games in program history.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Release from the UW athletics site:

Wyoming Signs Craig Bohl to New Contract

http://m.gowyo.com/news/wyoming-signs-c ... 12-02-2016
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:
GoPokes86 wrote:Love the extension and think it's absolutely the right move, but can't stuff like this wait until after next weekend? For example: Burman to Bohl-We'd like to discuss your contract and extend it.

I disagree. It shows to fans and players he's all in, for now at least. I think it's great reassurance the day before one of the biggest games in program history.
This. A) It locks him in before the end of the regular season when other schools really ramp up their hiring process, and B) it shows all of the recruits that will be in town this weekend (which I'm sure there will be some good ones), that he is going to be here for a while.

Also, from a financial standpoint, don't wait too long after the season to pay him his money. The longer from the season, the quicker people around the state will forget about what a good job he is doing and start bitching about how much he is making...in other words, strike while the iron is hot.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:

This. A) It locks him in before the end of the regular season when other schools really ramp up their hiring process, and B) it shows all of the recruits that will be in town this weekend (which I'm sure there will be some good ones), that he is going to be here for a while.

Also, from a financial standpoint, don't wait too long after the season to pay him his money. The longer from the season, the quicker people around the state will forget about what a good job he is doing and start bitching about how much he is making...in other words, strike while the iron is hot.

Several very good recruits in this weekend. Vander Wal, Avante Cox, CJ Coldon, Javaree Jackson and Harry Van Dyne I believe. Great show of stability. The extension was huge.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Also, from a financial standpoint, don't wait too long after the season to pay him his money. The longer from the season, the quicker people around the state will forget about what a good job he is doing and start bitching about how much he is making...in other words, strike while the iron is hot.
Oh I'm sure letters to the editors are already being written.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Thought this was an interesting point from a Nebraska fan (even though I disagree with what his intent was):
https://twitter.com/hcdoc60/status/804914370291625984 Usually contract numbers don't get publicized (at least not directly from the team/school), so I wonder if putting them in was more of a message to the rest of the country that it won't be cheap to take him away.

The base salary alone puts him in the top 10 of G5 coaches, and I'd guess the incentives are similar in the new deal (20k per MW win, etc).
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:Thought this was an interesting point from a Nebraska fan (even though I disagree with what his intent was):
https://twitter.com/hcdoc60/status/804914370291625984 Usually contract numbers don't get publicized (at least not directly from the team/school), so I wonder if putting them in was more of a message to the rest of the country that it won't be cheap to take him away.

The base salary alone puts him in the top 10 of G5 coaches, and I'd guess the incentives are similar in the new deal (20k per MW win, etc).
Really? I thought I had stumbled across most public institutions contracts somewhere. I'm also sure I've seen Wyoming publish these numbers before.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

WyoBrandX wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:Thought this was an interesting point from a Nebraska fan (even though I disagree with what his intent was):

Really? I thought I had stumbled across most public institutions contracts somewhere. I'm also sure I've seen Wyoming publish these numbers before.
I'm sure you'd have to provide the details of a public employee is anyone asked. Maybe not publish but it'd be part of freedom of information

W-Y, Until I Die!