If we lose Brian Hill we suck bigtime

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

If we lose him next year - we suck big time. Dude is a monster.I hope he stays around one more year.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Two words. Kapri Bibbs. Took him three years to get off the practice squad....he was lucky to do so.

Hope Hill thinks another year at least would help.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Hayduke wrote:Two words. Kapri Bibbs. Took him three years to get off the practice squad....he was lucky to do so.

Hill has ideal size for an NFL running back. He's not some LaMichael James munchkin who will struggle at the next level. He has only shown himself to be a two down back which is what will hurt him the most. He'll have to prove to scouts through the draft process that he has third down potential.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

DVDA wrote:
Hayduke wrote:Two words. Kapri Bibbs. Took him three years to get off the practice squad....he was lucky to do so.

Hill has ideal size for an NFL running back. He's not some LaMichael James munchkin who will struggle at the next level. He has only shown himself to be a two down back which is what will hurt him the most. He'll have to prove to scouts through the draft process that he has third down potential.
If nothing else, Hill can be an extra blocker.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

nonsense. We have the best qb in the conference and probably one of the best 10 qb's in the country.
As long as we have a serviceable running game, we will have a great offense with Josh Allen.
theman12
Buckaroo

I have a feeling that some of you will be pretty butt hurt after this season. :whistle:
theman12
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote:nonsense. We have the best qb in the conference and probably one of the best 10 qb's in the country.
As long as we have a serviceable running game, we will have a great offense with Josh Allen.
Agreed
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 61 times

bladerunnr wrote:nonsense. We have the best qb in the conference and probably one of the best 10 qb's in the country.
Top 10 may be a bit of a stretch, but I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Allen was easily the best QB in MWC this season and it wasn't really all that close.

The next step for the development of the football program is to add depth. Bohl and company have found/developed 22 players who can compete at a high level. However, there are inevitably injuries that occur throughout the season and the starters can't play 100% of snaps even if healthy.

Right now, the depth isn't there. Personally, I think it's the primary reason we've seen a regression of the defense in the past few games. We've been hit with injuries far more heavily on the defensive side of the ball, and our second (and third) stringers aren't near the level our starters were at.

I do believe, in time, Bohl can establish the depth that is needed for more consistent seasons through both development of players already in the system and through recruiting.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

We won't be better obviously, but we shouldn't suck. Overstreet should be a good replacement at running back. And with Allen rightfully being considered a bigger threat with the passing game, defenses will have to concentrate on him more than they were doing earlier in the season. I'm not too worried about our offense, but concerned with the defense.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
DVDA wrote:

If nothing else, Hill can be an extra blocker.
Pass protection is a major skill for an NFL running back. It's what quietly made guys like Frank Gore extremely valuable. Hill seems pretty solid to me right now, but the NFL game is a different monster. Hill is a bright kid so I'm sure he won't be one of those too good for the dirty work kind of guys.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WyoBrandX wrote:If we lose him next year - we suck big time. Dude is a monster.I hope he stays around one more year.
While Hill would be a major loss, I wouldn't call it catastrophic. We have a Parade All-American waiting behind him. We also have Josh Allen and two young receivers in Price and Johnson who already showed development this season.

So, Chicken Little, I suggest you set the microphone on the ground and step back from the podium...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 36 times

Overstreet coming back next year, the guy from Jackson coming back the year after that.. we might be okay.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

+1,000,000
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

TheRealUW wrote:
Top 10 may be a bit of a stretch, but I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Allen was easily the best QB in MWC this season and it wasn't really all that close.

The next step for the development of the football program is to add depth. Bohl and company have found/developed 22 players who can compete at a high level. However, there are inevitably injuries that occur throughout the season and the starters can't play 100% of snaps even if healthy.

Right now, the depth isn't there. Personally, I think it's the primary reason we've seen a regression of the defense in the past few games. We've been hit with injuries far more heavily on the defensive side of the ball, and our second (and third) stringers aren't near the level our starters were at.

I do believe, in time, Bohl can establish the depth that is needed for more consistent seasons through both development of players already in the system and through recruiting.
You are absolutely right with all of your comments, but especially with the bolded part. We aren't there yet, but we are getting there.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Aside from committed recruits, who do we have currently redshirting for DL and LB who could hopefully make a difference next season?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think we'll be fine regardless of what Brian Hill does. Our oline returns four(five if you count Cummings) starters. Overstreet is a north south runner with some power. Milo Hall was the best back on the roster during spring and fall camp. I think our running game won't skip a beat if we do lose Hill.

We'll see if they can find some answers on the dline, at linebacker, and in the secondary. The defense still needs some depth.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Aside from committed recruits, who do we have currently redshirting for DL and LB who could hopefully make a difference next season?
I'm confident we have difference makers at LB that are redshirting. DL I'm not so sure, but JaChi Baker is intriguing.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote:I think we'll be fine regardless of what Brian Hill does. Our oline returns four(five if you count Cummings) starters. Overstreet is a north south runner with some power. Milo Hall was the best back on the roster during spring and fall camp. I think our running game won't skip a beat if we do lose Hill.

We'll see if they can find some answers on the dline, at linebacker, and in the secondary. The defense still needs some depth.
Chase starts and isn't returning
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I think we'll be fine regardless of what Brian Hill does. Our oline returns four(five if you count Cummings) starters. Overstreet is a north south runner with some power. Milo Hall was the best back on the roster during spring and fall camp. I think our running game won't skip a beat if we do lose Hill.

Yeah, he's the only one we lose on the oline. We have 5 returning starters because Cummings got hurt and Jolley has started in his place. So both of them count as returning starters. Regardless, we have experience on the oline and are bringing in some bodies that can start as freshmen. We'll have depth on the oline next year, something we haven't had in a very long time.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

Yeah, he's the only one we lose on the oline. We have 5 returning starters because Cummings got hurt and Jolley has started in his place. So both of them count as returning starters. Regardless, we have experience on the oline and are bringing in some bodies that can start as freshmen. We'll have depth on the oline next year, something we haven't had in a very long time.
That's fair, I guess I didn't quite understand what you meant. Either way, unless we move Cummings or Jolley to C we'll need to break in a new guy there. Still better than past years though