BYU and LDS question plus other deep thoughts.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

I was curious.....Do fellow wyo alumnists, who happen to be LDS, hate BYU sport teams as much as the rest of us pokes? (I know they probably wouldn't use "hate", but you get my meaning) Or does BYU have a little place in their heart? I guess it could be similar to Catholics and their affinity to Notre Dame.

One other question. Is it right for a kid attending UW from another state to claim their home state's football team? For example, I had friends from Potter-Dix, Ne and the Cornhuskers were their #1 and Pokes their #2. I was offended!! I thought that undoubtedly that Pokes should be their #1 and Huskers #2. Their is nothing wrong with holding them somewhere in your heart, but they chose to be Pokes! I can't see a poor schmuck from Fort Collins attending UW getting away with that! In fact, all of my Green college buddies had pokes #1. Is it just particular sport programs that are exempt? Like over purchased UNC and Duke basketball gear sold in Wyoming? Unless you are from NC and living in Wyo, how can you sport blue?

Sure beats beating the dead horse name schroyer.
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Interesting question. I have a similar situation myself. I was born and raised in Wyoming, attended UW (just for a couple years), then eventually moved into the heart of Grizzly country. I was a UM student at one time as well. Maroon and silver every which direction I look. I kinda go against the grain more often than not and I sport my brown and gold pretty often around here, even at Griz games, but I'm a die-hard, season ticket holding Grizzly fan. So I guess you don't necessarily have to have a #1 and a #2.. I'm a fan of both equally, and if the two teams ever meet up in the future, you can bet I'll be there with my gameday gold and my gameday maroon.. I'll just be really confused. :)
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote:I was curious.....Do fellow wyo alumnists, who happen to be LDS, hate BYU sport teams as much as the rest of us pokes? (I know they probably wouldn't use "hate", but you get my meaning) Or does BYU have a little place in their heart? I guess it could be similar to Catholics and their affinity to Notre Dame.
As a Catholic, I admittedly do root for Notre Dame, but as a Wyo native, UW always comes first.
One other question. Is it right for a kid attending UW from another state to claim their home state's football team? For example, I had friends from Potter-Dix, Ne and the Cornhuskers were their #1 and Pokes their #2. I was offended!! I thought that undoubtedly that Pokes should be their #1 and Huskers #2. Their is nothing wrong with holding them somewhere in your heart, but they chose to be Pokes! I can't see a poor schmuck from Fort Collins attending UW getting away with that! In fact, all of my Green college buddies had pokes #1. Is it just particular sport programs that are exempt? Like over purchased UNC and Duke basketball gear sold in Wyoming? Unless you are from NC and living in Wyo, how can you sport blue?

Sure beats beating the dead horse name schroyer.
Well, it may have to do with living in their home state and going to those games for years. That would be the most likely explanation.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Raised catholic and have always strongly rooted against Notre Dame. I just can't stand church schools. But no school do I root against more than BYU.

I have cheered against Wyoming twice before. Both times when Colorado School of Mines (my undergrad) played UW (grad school) in basketball. Mostly because CSM was the big underdog and I know how difficult it is to be a student athlete there.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

I'm LDS and I can't stand BYU. I perhaps hate them as much or more than many pokes fans. On of the things I hate the most is other LDS people assuming I'd like BYU because of my religion. I must say though that I hate CSU more - that may have to do with growing up in Laramie.

Both of my parents went to BYU, as did one of my brothers. My brother cheers for Wyoming though, although I don't think he has a great disdain for BYU like me and my other brother do. My parents are now Wyoming fans and season ticket holders. They cheer for UW over BYU, but I know my dad still roots for BYU if they are not playing Wyoming.

BTW I like Notre Dame too - although nowhere near my liking for the pokes
God is a Cowboy
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

I am a mormon. But I drink heavily when I am alone, or without my LDS buddies. We all do. :cool:

Not that it has much to do with the LDS / bWHYu connection...but...

I hate those cooger sumbitches.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

I grew up in florida and penn. i learned about football in florida and from the Gators...I was born in cheyenne and went to UW. I love the Gators, hate State Penn, and absolutely love the Pokes! Wyo is my #1 and FL is my #2.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I grew up in Nashville and was a Vanderbilt football fan (Hard life) After Tennessee fired Johnny Majors the way they did; I would never have anything to do with Vols again. So my hatred for Tennessee is much stronger than my love for Vanderbilt. I was there in Knoxville when Vanderbilt beat the Vols for the first time in 20 years and have framed picture I took with Jay Cutler after the game hanging in my house. I will regret the rest of my life for not going back home to see our Pokes beat the Vols 2 seasons ago. That was one of my happiest moments of being a UW fan.

Since I work for the University and attend UW, They are far and away my #1. Attended every home game since I move here. I have also taken steps to discourage employees wearing other schools apparel on the job. I think it's disgraceful to be sitting at the information desk in the Union wearing Nebraska gear on Discovery days when prospective students are touring our campus! I find it discouraging to walk around campus and see other schools apparel being worn by students. Would this be acceptable at a place like Ohio St., Florida, Texas, Michigan, Alabama? No, you would get your ass kicked.

CDC is certainly changing the culture of the fans around here for the better. I hope to see it continue.
I'm good for 3!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Cornpoke wrote:I grew up in Nashville and was a Vanderbilt football fan (Hard life) After Tennessee fired Johnny Majors the way they did; I would never have anything to do with Vols again. So my hatred for Tennessee is much stronger than my love for Vanderbilt. I was there in Knoxville when Vanderbilt beat the Vols for the first time in 20 years and have framed picture I took with Jay Cutler after the game hanging in my house. I will regret the rest of my life for not going back home to see our Pokes beat the Vols 2 seasons ago. That was one of my happiest moments of being a UW fan.

Since I work for the University and attend UW, They are far and away my #1. Attended every home game since I move here. I have also taken steps to discourage employees wearing other schools apparel on the job. I think it's disgraceful to be sitting at the information desk in the Union wearing Nebraska gear on Discovery days when prospective students are touring our campus! I find it discouraging to walk around campus and see other schools apparel being worn by students. Would this be acceptable at a place like Ohio St., Florida, Texas, Michigan, Alabama? No, you would get your ass kicked.

CDC is certainly changing the culture of the fans around here for the better. I hope to see it continue.
Agreed. One thing though, do you know if that one company from Denver that does the ticket takers, ushers, and security is still at UW? Because they hired them when I was starting my 3rd season as an usher and we were told we could not were school apparel, as well as shifting the workers around (put me as a ticket taker for the first home game, haven't worked there since).
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

[/quote]
Agreed. One thing though, do you know if that one company from Denver that does the ticket takers, ushers, and security is still at UW? Because they hired them when I was starting my 3rd season as an usher and we were told we could not were school apparel, as well as shifting the workers around (put me as a ticket taker for the first home game, haven't worked there since).[/quote]

Yes and No. We contract them yearly for their services. Usually how the process works is the company "Event Services" hires temp employees for the day to work that event. They bring in their full time staff to train and show the temp guys what needs to be done for a game, event, etc. then they will oversee and manage those workers. Many times RSO's and Club teams will fill these spots to raise money for their organization or club. I'm part of the Racquetball club so we worked the Elton John concert as ushers for that night. I found them to be extremely rude and bossy. So I can see why they would not let you wear anything but their jackets or shirts.
I'm good for 3!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Cornpoke wrote:
Agreed. One thing though, do you know if that one company from Denver that does the ticket takers, ushers, and security is still at UW? Because they hired them when I was starting my 3rd season as an usher and we were told we could not were school apparel, as well as shifting the workers around (put me as a ticket taker for the first home game, haven't worked there since).[/quote]

Yes and No. We contract them yearly for their services. Usually how the process works is the company "Event Services" hires temp employees for the day to work that event. They bring in their full time staff to train and show the temp guys what needs to be done for a game, event, etc. then they will oversee and manage those workers. Many times RSO's and Club teams will fill these spots to raise money for their organization or club. I'm part of the Racquetball club so we worked the Elton John concert as ushers for that night. I found them to be extremely rude and bossy. So I can see why they would not let you wear anything but their jackets or shirts.[/quote]
Well, I had orignally started to work there to help raise money for a choir trip to Hawaii my Sophomore year in high school (we came in first BTW) and worked there the next year as well. It was the 3rd year that those guys were hired, and I almost didn't even get to work at the games because you had to be 18. I was only 17. Luckily, one of my supervisors was able to get me in. THan, after spending 2 years as an usher, they moved me to ticket taker, and another guy who I know had been a ticket taker for 15 years was moved to security I think it was.

It REALLY pissed off a lot of people that had been working there for awhile.
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

I am LDS and wouldn't go so far as saying I "hate" BYU, but I animatedly dislike elements.

I will be the first to admit that their football team (whether a fan or not) are interesting to watch. They put up lots of points and are competitive year after year. With that said, I probably dislike the fans more than the institution. I dislike their smug arrogant attitudes.

I am often embarrassed when my non-LDS buddies attend a game with me in Provo. They ask me why people are so rude to them when you would think they should be welcoming. I could care less whether people agree with me in their religious views, however, I just ask people to respect other people's religions (if they have beliefs). So, when I go to Provo it drives me crazy that some of the people there can't accept the fact that it is ok to love UW and be LDS. Some feel like you are not faithful or something. Drives me nuts. Vice versa, when I go to Laramie and hear anti Mormon chants, it does hurt too. I guess it goes both ways. Not all Mormons are weirdos like BYU fans, and not all UW fans are hillbillies (as many believe).

I will always end up following BYU, because whether I like it or not, the school represents my religion (unfortunately) :) Therefore, when the fans are complete idiots, it makes the church look like complete idiots. Some of my best friends are Catholic or other Christian faiths. I am sure they love Catholic priest comparisons as much as I like Max Hall comparisons. Hall is a total tool and I sure hope people are smart enough to be able to distance morons like him from good LDS people. He may be a good guy, but I would never want him associated with the church.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Pittsburgh Nellie wrote:I am LDS and wouldn't go so far as saying I "hate" BYU, but I animatedly dislike elements.

I will be the first to admit that their football team (whether a fan or not) are interesting to watch. They put up lots of points and are competitive year after year. With that said, I probably dislike the fans more than the institution. I dislike their smug arrogant attitudes.

I am often embarrassed when my non-LDS buddies attend a game with me in Provo. They ask me why people are so rude to them when you would think they should be welcoming. I could care less whether people agree with me in their religious views, however, I just ask people to respect other people's religions (if they have beliefs). So, when I go to Provo it drives me crazy that some of the people there can't accept the fact that it is ok to love UW and be LDS. Some feel like you are not faithful or something. Drives me nuts. Vice versa, when I go to Laramie and hear anti Mormon chants, it does hurt too. I guess it goes both ways. Not all Mormons are weirdos like BYU fans, and not all UW fans are hillbillies (as many believe).

I will always end up following BYU, because whether I like it or not, the school represents my religion (unfortunately) :) Therefore, when the fans are complete idiots, it makes the church look like complete idiots. Some of my best friends are Catholic or other Christian faiths. I am sure they love Catholic priest comparisons as much as I like Max Hall comparisons. Hall is a total tool and I sure hope people are smart enough to be able to distance morons like him from good LDS people. He may be a good guy, but I would never want him associated with the church.
More or less agreed. Some of the nicest people I went to school with were Mormons. Though it seems, here in Laramie at least, there are 2 types.
1. The "good" Mormon. Follows their religion to a fault, very nice, and easy to get along with.
2. The "bad" Mormon. Really only a Mormon by title or family association.

And now for the 3rd. Max Hall/Arrogant BYU Fan base- Arrogant pricks with a holier than thou attitude.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 156 times

It's weird that I actually respect what Hall said after the win. He let his emotions get the best of him and that's human like all of us. Also, I think I hate Utah more these days ever since the on-side kick and birdie incident. The only thing BYU had really done is beat us handily. I really disliked BYU because my freshman year at UW was the greatest/saddest year for UW football. I watched one of the best seasons of my life, only to be ruined by scrambling QB in San Diego and an overtime loss to BYU in the WAC championship. I was devastated by the loss but also by the fact that Utah went to the Copper bowl instead of us only to be beat down by Wisconsin. I say that as long as Utah has their same coach, it's a 33.33/33.33/33.33 split of hat between Utah/BYU and CSU. Maybe I a m giving too much to the Utah schools, but that might be because I live in Rock Bottom.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

fromolwyoming wrote:
Pittsburgh Nellie wrote:I am LDS and wouldn't go so far as saying I "hate" BYU, but I animatedly dislike elements.

More or less agreed. Some of the nicest people I went to school with were Mormons. Though it seems, here in Laramie at least, there are 2 types.
1. The "good" Mormon. Follows their religion to a fault, very nice, and easy to get along with.
2. The "bad" Mormon. Really only a Mormon by title or family association.

And now for the 3rd. Max Hall/Arrogant BYU Fan base- Arrogant pricks with a holier than thou attitude.
And I couldn't agree more...
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:It's weird that I actually respect what Hall said after the win. He let his emotions get the best of him and that's human like all of us. Also, I think I hate Utah more these days ever since the on-side kick and birdie incident. The only thing BYU had really done is beat us handily. I really disliked BYU because my freshman year at UW was the greatest/saddest year for UW football. I watched one of the best seasons of my life, only to be ruined by scrambling QB in San Diego and an overtime loss to BYU in the WAC championship. I was devastated by the loss but also by the fact that Utah went to the Copper bowl instead of us only to be beat down by Wisconsin. I say that as long as Utah has their same coach, it's a 33.33/33.33/33.33 split of hat between Utah/BYU and CSU. Maybe I a m giving too much to the Utah schools, but that might be because I live in Rock Bottom.

utah has climbed the ladder to me also. Some fans (like any school0 are reasonable, but they are right up there with Boise State fans as believing they are entitled to BCS games now. Arrogance. That is why I love the Cowboys!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

laxwyo wrote:The only thing BYU had really done is beat us handily.
Read "Black 13", you'll think otherwise.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote:
Thus began the decline of Cowboy Football for years to come.
Pittsburgh Nellie
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote:
The last thing I want to do is turn this into a religion debate. I have read the “Black 14” and the blame cannot be placed solely on the LDS faith. Coach Eaton and the UW Administrators ended up fighting the players and causing the court appeals; not the Church. In fact, several of the players for UW were getting ready to JOIN the Church, yet protesting it the very same time. Coach Eaton called them out on it. This was not an LDS issue. This was players vs the Coach and UW Admin issue.

People can hate the LDS church and disagree with its principles, fine by me. But please do not mix the Black 14 incident as being BYU’s problem. This was an internal UW problem.

We have been BYU’s little B over the past decade. In the past four years we have lost by a grand total of 186-17. Black 14 or not, they own us.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

can we get something like this in Wyoming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extermination_order
:lol: Just kidding I love you magic underwearin sum bitches lot of good peeps