I'm pround to not be a Nike school anymore

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

that is all
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6692
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

I don't understand the outrage. I will never understand the outrage.
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2932
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am
I don't understand the outrage. I will never understand the outrage.
Agreed...to each their own, but the fact that the majority of the outrage is with the act (kneeling) and not the reason behind the act is disheartening.
Image
User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am
I don't understand the outrage. I will never understand the outrage.
Agreed...to each their own, but the fact that the majority of the outrage is with the act (kneeling) and not the reason behind the act is disheartening.
Ditto.

The kneeling never hurt anyone, had never been a sign of disrespect in any form, and never stopped people from doing what they enjoyed before. To be so mad over it, and ignore or not even know why they knelt? :?
User avatar
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4667
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I could care less about the kneeling. What aggravates me about the Nike thing is they are making the face of their Just Do It campaign a person who has openly supported the mass murderer Castro and has openly, publicly called police "pigs". Its not a person I respect and is someone that is quite divisive in a time when our country needs unity, not more division.
Image
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7453
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm
I could care less about the kneeling. What aggravates me about the Nike thing is they are making the face of their Just Do It campaign a person who has openly supported the mass murderer Castro and has openly, publicly called police "pigs". Its not a person I respect and is someone that is quite divisive in a time when our country needs unity, not more division.
Yes. This. Kap is garbage. Does anyone else believe that Kap made up this kneeling for police brutality Sh#t up? I remember his punk A$$ getting caught sitting on the the bench and then magically it becomes a kneeling for black people thing.
W-Y, Until I Die!
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2932
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

laxwyo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm
I could care less about the kneeling. What aggravates me about the Nike thing is they are making the face of their Just Do It campaign a person who has openly supported the mass murderer Castro and has openly, publicly called police "pigs". Its not a person I respect and is someone that is quite divisive in a time when our country needs unity, not more division.
Yes. This. Kap is garbage. Does anyone else believe that Kap made up this kneeling for police brutality Sh#t up? I remember his punk A$$ getting caught sitting on the the bench and then magically it becomes a kneeling for black people thing.
It's always been a protest for racial inequality. It started with him sitting on the bench. Then after discussing with Nate Boyer, an Army Special Forces veteran, he went from sitting to kneeling because:
After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture.
-- Eric Reid on why the chose to kneel instead of sit.

I'm not a fan of Kaepernick or his other issues as mentioned by ItSucksToBeACSURam, but this issue is about more than him, and the underlying problems behind this mess need to be addressed, not ignored.
Image
User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

laxwyo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm
I could care less about the kneeling. What aggravates me about the Nike thing is they are making the face of their Just Do It campaign a person who has openly supported the mass murderer Castro and has openly, publicly called police "pigs". Its not a person I respect and is someone that is quite divisive in a time when our country needs unity, not more division.
Yes. This. Kap is garbage. Does anyone else believe that Kap made up this kneeling for police brutality Sh#t up? I remember his punk A$$ getting caught sitting on the the bench and then magically it becomes a kneeling for black people thing.
The ONLY reason why he even did that was because if he stayed on the 49er roster long enough, he was due $14 million. He knew he was getting cut and he had to do something political to stay on the squad long enough. THAT's it!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken Sh#t! And we're getting chicken Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am
that is all
I'll give you my perspective on this issue for what it's worth. My son in law is a black man. A large, 6'6" 340 lb tattooed black man, who is a respectable member of his community. A hard working kid, who takes really good care of my daughter. He is the adopted son of a white couple - his dad has his PhD in statistics and probability and his mom has her PhD in education. He has his degree in engineering.

I've been with him in a car when he was pulled over for being black on three different occasions. Each time we were pulled from the car at gun point, handcuffed, the car was searched, and finally allowed to leave with a "warning" on the phantom traffic offense. Unless and until you have experienced this, then you really have no idea what people of color are protesting.

It is your personal choice to support or vilify Kap, and you can do so with your wallet or your voice. But don't sit there in your white neighborhood and pretend to know what these folks go through on a daily basis. I was deemed guilty through association and treated like a f##k[#] criminal simply because my son in law was black. Try having some paranoid fat white [#]f##k waving a loaded gun in your face while he is freaking out over....nothing but some guys skin pigment and his art work.

Peaceful protest is a good thing. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's and I lived through the race wars and race riots. A player taking a knee during the anthem is no more disrespectful than the f##k[#] who are down at the concession stand buying their god damned beer and food while the anthem plays. If all of those white folks who are offended by the kneeling, were required to sit in their seats until the anthem was over, you would see attitudes change dramatically.

That's my rant. If you don't like it, fine, it's only my opinion. But don't sit there on your throne all offended by these bastards kneeling in protest because you think you know what it's like in the hood. Unless you are a person of color, or related to one, you have no f##k[#] idea.

:twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

CowboyNV wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am
that is all
I'll give you my perspective on this issue for what it's worth. My son in law is a black man. A large, 6'6" 340 lb tattooed black man, who is a respectable member of his community. A hard working kid, who takes really good care of my daughter. He is the adopted son of a white couple - his dad has his PhD in statistics and probability and his mom has her PhD in education. He has his degree in engineering.

I've been with him in a car when he was pulled over for being black on three different occasions. Each time we were pulled from the car at gun point, handcuffed, the car was searched, and finally allowed to leave with a "warning" on the phantom traffic offense. Unless and until you have experienced this, then you really have no idea what people of color are protesting.

It is your personal choice to support or vilify Kap, and you can do so with your wallet or your voice. But don't sit there in your white neighborhood and pretend to know what these folks go through on a daily basis. I was deemed guilty through association and treated like a f##k[#] criminal simply because my son in law was black. Try having some paranoid fat white [#]f##k waving a loaded gun in your face while he is freaking out over....nothing but some guys skin pigment and his art work.

Peaceful protest is a good thing. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's and I lived through the race wars and race riots. A player taking a knee during the anthem is no more disrespectful than the f##k[#] who are down at the concession stand buying their god damned beer and food while the anthem plays. If all of those white folks who are offended by the kneeling, were required to sit in their seats until the anthem was over, you would see attitudes change dramatically.

That's my rant. If you don't like it, fine, it's only my opinion. But don't sit there on your throne all offended by these bastards kneeling in protest because you think you know what it's like in the hood. Unless you are a person of color, or related to one, you have no f##k[#] idea.

:twocents:
There’s a big difference between getting chips during the anthem and purposely disrespecting it when you know millions will be watching on TV. Come on. And the VAST majority do drop what they are doing and show reverence when the anthem is played. the anthem isn’t the right place and time to protest these issues. I never said these issues don’t exist so calm down. Maybe you weren’t talking at me anymore. I don’t know.

When you literally do the opposite of of what’s accepted during the anthem you seem like you hate our country and everything it stands for. Have you been outside of the USA? Our poor and unprivileged live better than the rich in many countries. I would think it’s not too hard to realize this and just stand up and be thankful. Nothing is sacred to anyone anymore. :twocents:

Press conferences are the time and place to educate white people about these issues or whatever
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 am
CowboyNV wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am
that is all
I'll give you my perspective on this issue for what it's worth. My son in law is a black man. A large, 6'6" 340 lb tattooed black man, who is a respectable member of his community. A hard working kid, who takes really good care of my daughter. He is the adopted son of a white couple - his dad has his PhD in statistics and probability and his mom has her PhD in education. He has his degree in engineering.

I've been with him in a car when he was pulled over for being black on three different occasions. Each time we were pulled from the car at gun point, handcuffed, the car was searched, and finally allowed to leave with a "warning" on the phantom traffic offense. Unless and until you have experienced this, then you really have no idea what people of color are protesting.

It is your personal choice to support or vilify Kap, and you can do so with your wallet or your voice. But don't sit there in your white neighborhood and pretend to know what these folks go through on a daily basis. I was deemed guilty through association and treated like a f##k[#] criminal simply because my son in law was black. Try having some paranoid fat white [#]f##k waving a loaded gun in your face while he is freaking out over....nothing but some guys skin pigment and his art work.

Peaceful protest is a good thing. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's and I lived through the race wars and race riots. A player taking a knee during the anthem is no more disrespectful than the f##k[#] who are down at the concession stand buying their god damned beer and food while the anthem plays. If all of those white folks who are offended by the kneeling, were required to sit in their seats until the anthem was over, you would see attitudes change dramatically.

That's my rant. If you don't like it, fine, it's only my opinion. But don't sit there on your throne all offended by these bastards kneeling in protest because you think you know what it's like in the hood. Unless you are a person of color, or related to one, you have no f##k[#] idea.

:twocents:
There’s a big difference between getting chips during the anthem and purposely disrespecting it when you know millions will be watching on TV. Come on. And the VAST majority do drop what they are doing and show reverence when the anthem is played. the anthem isn’t the right place and time to protest these issues. I never said these issues don’t exist so calm down. Maybe you weren’t talking at me anymore. I don’t know.

When you literally do the opposite of of what’s accepted during the anthem you seem like you hate our country and everything it stands for. Have you been outside of the USA? Our poor and unprivileged live better than the rich in many countries. I would think it’s not too hard to realize this and just stand up and be thankful. Nothing is sacred to anyone anymore. :twocents:

Press conferences are the time and place to educate white people about these issues or whatever
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm 70+ years old and I've been all over the world, so I don't need a geography lesson, nor a lesson in how our poor compare to folks in other countries. And your idea of respect is a hell of a lot different than mine. Beer swilling drunken tailgaters grabbing their nachos during the anthem isn't respect. The head nodding you may notice is them dozing off from the .30% alcohol content in their blood.

The right time to protest issues is any time one has an audience. Like I said, peaceful protest during the anthem doesn't espouse hate for the country. I would think supporting politicians who have no problem with Russian interference in our elections is more traitorous than taking a knee during the anthem. Again, you have your right to your opinion, and I have mine. I choose to support peaceful protests, no matter if I agree with their cause or not. It's the First Amendment, one of the cornerstones of our constitution and democracy. Stifling that is tantamount to sh#t[#] on the constitution, and I call that disrespectful.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
'PokeForLife
Ranch Hand
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm

I think that the message of the Nike ad was a slap in the face to a lot of people. "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything." How many people believe that Kap sacrificed everything? Just about nobody who is honest with themselves. "Oh, but now he doesn't get to play the game he loves because he's being blackballed by the greedy owners....!" That's bologna. I wish I could even have the opportunity to sacrifice as much. Its not like he doesn't still get money just for being who he is.
Oh and by the way, millions of people sacrifice so much more just by trying to provide for a family and be a genuinely good person. I think he and Nike are out of touch with reality.
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

CowboyNV wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 am
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 am
CowboyNV wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am
that is all
I'll give you my perspective on this issue for what it's worth. My son in law is a black man. A large, 6'6" 340 lb tattooed black man, who is a respectable member of his community. A hard working kid, who takes really good care of my daughter. He is the adopted son of a white couple - his dad has his PhD in statistics and probability and his mom has her PhD in education. He has his degree in engineering.

I've been with him in a car when he was pulled over for being black on three different occasions. Each time we were pulled from the car at gun point, handcuffed, the car was searched, and finally allowed to leave with a "warning" on the phantom traffic offense. Unless and until you have experienced this, then you really have no idea what people of color are protesting.

It is your personal choice to support or vilify Kap, and you can do so with your wallet or your voice. But don't sit there in your white neighborhood and pretend to know what these folks go through on a daily basis. I was deemed guilty through association and treated like a f##k[#] criminal simply because my son in law was black. Try having some paranoid fat white [#]f##k waving a loaded gun in your face while he is freaking out over....nothing but some guys skin pigment and his art work.

Peaceful protest is a good thing. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's and I lived through the race wars and race riots. A player taking a knee during the anthem is no more disrespectful than the f##k[#] who are down at the concession stand buying their god damned beer and food while the anthem plays. If all of those white folks who are offended by the kneeling, were required to sit in their seats until the anthem was over, you would see attitudes change dramatically.

That's my rant. If you don't like it, fine, it's only my opinion. But don't sit there on your throne all offended by these bastards kneeling in protest because you think you know what it's like in the hood. Unless you are a person of color, or related to one, you have no f##k[#] idea.

:twocents:
There’s a big difference between getting chips during the anthem and purposely disrespecting it when you know millions will be watching on TV. Come on. And the VAST majority do drop what they are doing and show reverence when the anthem is played. the anthem isn’t the right place and time to protest these issues. I never said these issues don’t exist so calm down. Maybe you weren’t talking at me anymore. I don’t know.

When you literally do the opposite of of what’s accepted during the anthem you seem like you hate our country and everything it stands for. Have you been outside of the USA? Our poor and unprivileged live better than the rich in many countries. I would think it’s not too hard to realize this and just stand up and be thankful. Nothing is sacred to anyone anymore. :twocents:

Press conferences are the time and place to educate white people about these issues or whatever
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm 70+ years old and I've been all over the world, so I don't need a geography lesson, nor a lesson in how our poor compare to folks in other countries. And your idea of respect is a hell of a lot different than mine. Beer swilling drunken tailgaters grabbing their nachos during the anthem isn't respect. The head nodding you may notice is them dozing off from the .30% alcohol content in their blood.

The right time to protest issues is any time one has an audience. Like I said, peaceful protest during the anthem doesn't espouse hate for the country. I would think supporting politicians who have no problem with Russian interference in our elections is more traitorous than taking a knee during the anthem. Again, you have your right to your opinion, and I have mine. I choose to support peaceful protests, no matter if I agree with their cause or not. It's the First Amendment, one of the cornerstones of our constitution and democracy. Stifling that is tantamount to sh#t[#] on the constitution, and I call that disrespectful.
They can do what they want and I can call them disingenuous, ungrateful losers for doing it. I guess that's what makes our country great. And Russian interference? really? Get out your tinfoil hat lol
User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

Disingenuous? Ungrateful? Would you say the same to Rosa Parks? Martin Luthor King Junior?

If they were ungrateful, they would actually do something that would be an attack on veterans, or demand that the Constitution be changed. Instead, they are merely invoking their right to peacefully protest the deaths of unarmed black people at the hands of cops. Racial profiling, as mentioned before, is still very much a thing.

You don't have to agree with them. That's fine. Disagreements are part of a Democracy. But saying they're ungrateful and what not, for protesting unjust acts of violence, yet still showing respect by kneeling (a retired Green Beret had suggested kneeling, as a way to still protest, yet not show any disrespect), shows a way of acting with class.

They are letting their opinions be known without harming anyone. I would think that drawing attention to a growing problem would be applauded. But suddenly, according to the Orange Menace, kneeling = hating our country. The last time such a thing was said, was during the 1960s, during the Civil Rights movement.

And what's more; saying they are "ungrateful". For what, NOT being shot? Or do you mean towards veterans, one of whom was the one to recommend kneeling in the first place? Or are you taking Trump's side. You know, the same guy that not only disparaged POWs, but also attacked a Gold Star family whose son sacrificed himself to save his platoon?

Peacefully protesting unjust acts is American.
Attacking other Americans' Constitutional Rights is un-American.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1416
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 pm
CowboyNV wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 am
LanderPoke wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 am
CowboyNV wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am
that is all
I'll give you my perspective on this issue for what it's worth. My son in law is a black man. A large, 6'6" 340 lb tattooed black man, who is a respectable member of his community. A hard working kid, who takes really good care of my daughter. He is the adopted son of a white couple - his dad has his PhD in statistics and probability and his mom has her PhD in education. He has his degree in engineering.

I've been with him in a car when he was pulled over for being black on three different occasions. Each time we were pulled from the car at gun point, handcuffed, the car was searched, and finally allowed to leave with a "warning" on the phantom traffic offense. Unless and until you have experienced this, then you really have no idea what people of color are protesting.

It is your personal choice to support or vilify Kap, and you can do so with your wallet or your voice. But don't sit there in your white neighborhood and pretend to know what these folks go through on a daily basis. I was deemed guilty through association and treated like a f##k[#] criminal simply because my son in law was black. Try having some paranoid fat white [#]f##k waving a loaded gun in your face while he is freaking out over....nothing but some guys skin pigment and his art work.

Peaceful protest is a good thing. I'm a child of the 50's and 60's and I lived through the race wars and race riots. A player taking a knee during the anthem is no more disrespectful than the f##k[#] who are down at the concession stand buying their god damned beer and food while the anthem plays. If all of those white folks who are offended by the kneeling, were required to sit in their seats until the anthem was over, you would see attitudes change dramatically.

That's my rant. If you don't like it, fine, it's only my opinion. But don't sit there on your throne all offended by these bastards kneeling in protest because you think you know what it's like in the hood. Unless you are a person of color, or related to one, you have no f##k[#] idea.

:twocents:
There’s a big difference between getting chips during the anthem and purposely disrespecting it when you know millions will be watching on TV. Come on. And the VAST majority do drop what they are doing and show reverence when the anthem is played. the anthem isn’t the right place and time to protest these issues. I never said these issues don’t exist so calm down. Maybe you weren’t talking at me anymore. I don’t know.

When you literally do the opposite of of what’s accepted during the anthem you seem like you hate our country and everything it stands for. Have you been outside of the USA? Our poor and unprivileged live better than the rich in many countries. I would think it’s not too hard to realize this and just stand up and be thankful. Nothing is sacred to anyone anymore. :twocents:

Press conferences are the time and place to educate white people about these issues or whatever
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm 70+ years old and I've been all over the world, so I don't need a geography lesson, nor a lesson in how our poor compare to folks in other countries. And your idea of respect is a hell of a lot different than mine. Beer swilling drunken tailgaters grabbing their nachos during the anthem isn't respect. The head nodding you may notice is them dozing off from the .30% alcohol content in their blood.

The right time to protest issues is any time one has an audience. Like I said, peaceful protest during the anthem doesn't espouse hate for the country. I would think supporting politicians who have no problem with Russian interference in our elections is more traitorous than taking a knee during the anthem. Again, you have your right to your opinion, and I have mine. I choose to support peaceful protests, no matter if I agree with their cause or not. It's the First Amendment, one of the cornerstones of our constitution and democracy. Stifling that is tantamount to sh#t[#] on the constitution, and I call that disrespectful.
They can do what they want and I can call them disingenuous, ungrateful losers for doing it. I guess that's what makes our country great. And Russian interference? really? Get out your tinfoil hat lol
I guess the fact that 17 intelligence agencies that stated Russia not only tried to intervene in the 2016 elections, but is still trying to do it in 2018 means nothing to you because Fox said it wasn't true? :rofl: :rofl: I'll take my information from a trusted source like the FBI or CIA or NSA over FOX, hahahahaha. Tin foil hat my A$$. As I stated before, you are entitled to your own opinion. But you aren't entitled to "alternative" facts.....[#]f##k me runnin'.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7453
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

Cops don’t racially profile because they hate black people. The profile black people because they commit the majority of the crime. It’s sad really.I feel bad for a nice law abiding people that get harassed because they just happen to be born with the same skin color as the people that commit most of the crime. Police forces also need reformed. They need to start treating civilians like they're there to serve them instead of like they’re a part of an occupying force. But alas, it’s that would take reforming municipalities. They need to stop making laws whose sole purpose is to generate revenue. If there’s no victim, there’s no standing to have a law. Maybe if we legalized drugs, we could reduce the police force and pay them more potentially attracting non ego maniacs
W-Y, Until I Die!
User avatar
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4667
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:53 pm

'PokeForLife wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:30 am
I think that the message of the Nike ad was a slap in the face to a lot of people. "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything." How many people believe that Kap sacrificed ANYTHING?
FIFY
Image
User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm
'PokeForLife wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:30 am
I think that the message of the Nike ad was a slap in the face to a lot of people. "Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything." How many people believe that Kap sacrificed ANYTHING?
FIFY
Kap doesn't give a Sh#t about anything other than $$$$$.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken Sh#t! And we're getting chicken Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

fromolwyoming wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:00 am
Disingenuous? Ungrateful? Would you say the same to Rosa Parks? Martin Luthor King Junior?

If they were ungrateful, they would actually do something that would be an attack on veterans, or demand that the Constitution be changed. Instead, they are merely invoking their right to peacefully protest the deaths of unarmed black people at the hands of cops. Racial profiling, as mentioned before, is still very much a thing.

You don't have to agree with them. That's fine. Disagreements are part of a Democracy. But saying they're ungrateful and what not, for protesting unjust acts of violence, yet still showing respect by kneeling (a retired Green Beret had suggested kneeling, as a way to still protest, yet not show any disrespect), shows a way of acting with class.

They are letting their opinions be known without harming anyone. I would think that drawing attention to a growing problem would be applauded. But suddenly, according to the Orange Menace, kneeling = hating our country. The last time such a thing was said, was during the 1960s, during the Civil Rights movement.

And what's more; saying they are "ungrateful". For what, NOT being shot? Or do you mean towards veterans, one of whom was the one to recommend kneeling in the first place? Or are you taking Trump's side. You know, the same guy that not only disparaged POWs, but also attacked a Gold Star family whose son sacrificed himself to save his platoon?

Peacefully protesting unjust acts is American.
Attacking other Americans' Constitutional Rights is un-American.
It's not about race. I hate it when anyone of any race sits for the anthem. Why do you (and others) keep making it about race? What is the point of a national anthem?? Why has it been a practice to stand for it for many, many years? When you do the opposite what message are you sending? It can only be understood that you hate our country. These people will take all the benefits our country offers, but not take the one opportunity they get to publicly show their thanks, and in fact do the opposite. These 'protestors' seriously lack perspective. This whole thing is mind blowing to me. If they are protesting inequality or whatever do it at a different time! There are different and better ways!

Any way you twist it it's wrong to not stand and show your gratitude for those that made this country free and to show that you love our country (which is the greatest country in the history of the world) and are thankful for the opportunities it provides. Sorry to inform you, but we live in a meritocracy! Any privation can be overcome with hard work. You might not make it to the top (in one generation) but you can have a darn nice life no matter where you start, no matter your color! No one is keeping anyone down anymore. It's not like cops go out of their way to make certain people's lives miserable. I don't buy it.

Whatever this race controversy that Obama stirred up during his regime bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Civil Rights era, which was noble. I'll take Trump's side, yes, he's a bad person, but he brings economic prosperity. Economic prosperity cures all.

Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? Don't sully their names by comparing what they did to the disgusting act of protesting the flag. And that green beret is an idiot. The VAST majority of veterans will say you should be standing for the anthem, not kneeling while wearing pig socks. This whole thing is just taking a simple issue and twisting it beyond reason.
User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12651
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

LanderPoke wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am
It's not about race. I hate it when anyone of any race sits for the anthem. Why do you (and others) keep making it about race?
This part right here is the problem. Refusing to see why the kneeling actually happens and then projecting something else instead. Why is it making it about race? Have you not seen the news? Even just this last week, a white officer shot an unarmed black man in his own apartment because "she made a mistake". And that's only the latest.

Why has it been a practice to stand for it for many, many years? When you do the opposite what message are you sending? It can only be understood that you hate our country. These people will take all the benefits our country offers, but not take the one opportunity they get to publicly show their thanks, and in fact do the opposite. These 'protestors' seriously lack perspective. This whole thing is mind blowing to me. If they are protesting inequality or whatever do it at a different time! There are different and better ways!
What is the point of a national anthem??
At sporting events that really have nothing to do with the government? I don't know. And the fact it was derived from a British drinking song...
Any way you twist it it's wrong to not stand and show your gratitude for those that made this country free and to show that you love our country (which is the greatest country in the history of the world) and are thankful for the opportunities it provides.
You do realize it was a Green Beret that made the recommendation to kneel during the anthem? And I don't even want to get into all of the problems the US has had, and that are growing, because of the blind support of things like "greatest country evah!". Need I remind you that the right to peacefully protest injustices is ALSO a major part of this country? Just because you and others don't like it, doesn't make it less American.
Sorry to inform you, but we live in a meritocracy!
:rofl: Keep telling yourself that.
Any privation can be overcome with hard work.
Yeah, tell that to people working multiple jobs just to barely cover rent and a bit of food. Or those that turn to things like drug dealing because it pays more than any legit job in the area.
You might not make it to the top (in one generation) but you can have a darn nice life no matter where you start, no matter your color! No one is keeping anyone down anymore. It's not like cops go out of their way to make certain people's lives miserable. I don't buy it.
And this ignorance is what hurts the most. "Racism isn't a thing anymore! Cops can't be racist!" Anyone can be racist, including cops. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Driving While Black can and does happen. Turning a blind eye to these injustices is worse than being the good man that does nothing, its more than enabling, its encouraging such acts.
Whatever this race controversy that Obama stirred up during his regime bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Civil Rights era, which was noble. I'll take Trump's side, yes, he's a bad person, but he brings economic prosperity. Economic prosperity cures all.
Trump can't even make a profit off a casino in Jersey City (it went belly up). Not to mention he was at the heart of the whole stupid "Where's the birth certificate!" crap for years, and has his own history of targeting people of color. And the only "economic prosperity" the Orange Menace brought, was riding the same tide that began under Obama. But the tariffs, major tax cuts on the rich, and massive increases in spending are going to screw that all up here before too long because the GOP can only ever think short term gains anymore.
Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? Don't sully their names by comparing what they did to the disgusting act of protesting the flag.
No one is protesting the flag. Not once has that EVER been why the players kneeled. Turn off Faux News and actually listen to what the players say before judging them. That you believe the Orange Menace, a man who is a habitual liar, fearmonger, and rumor spreader, over people who have no reason to protest the flag, but to protest the way people are treated by those that are supposed to protect them, is probably the most disheartening and disappointing thing.
And that green beret is an idiot.
Why? Because he encourages people to use their Constitutional Rights while still being respectful? Because he did something you refuse to see the truth for? Because he encouraged someone to take a stand (metaphorically speaking) for what they believe in?
The VAST majority of veterans will say you should be standing for the anthem, not kneeling while wearing pig socks. This whole thing is just taking a simple issue and twisting it beyond reason.
ANY veteran with a hint of common sense would know that they are defending the very right to protest. A right not limited to such events. And the only ones twisting the issue to something it isn't, are the ones saying they are protesting the flag. If that were true, they wouldn't even be out there in the first place.
Post Reply