Wyoming energy needs to buy a port on the west coast now that Trump is in office,

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

There's already a market for Wyoming coal and natural gas across the seas. That's not going to change. More people are getting into that market as we speak. We could be making a lot of money exporting our coal, natural gas, trona, uranium.....There's a big demand for resources and we have a lot of them.

Wyoming already has the infrastructure to transport the resources. The Ruby natural gas line ships our natural gas to Oregon for us. Wyoming has a pretty robust network of trains for shipping coal. Since demand has gone down, more trains are available for transport. We can get the coal to Oregon, Washington, or even Canada if we have to.

What we don't have is the facility to condense the natural gas for shipment overseas. Now that Trump is in office, and the Republicans control the house and senate, the permitting process for the Natural Gas export facilities in the Pacific Northwest will speed up considerably. Hopefully, we'll see those facilities rushed to market. I don't know what our ownership stake is in the port facilities.

The volatility for the US is the political climate. When it's a Republican controlled government, we can ship our product. When it's a democratic controlled government, we can't. In Canada, it doesn't matter if the Democrats are in office. They ship all the time.

Wyoming needs to buy a major controlling interest in a port facility. Imagine how much money we could make if we didn't have to share our overseas export capacity with other interests. If the boat is loaded with 100 percent Wyoming natural gas, coal, oil, or Trona, the profit sky rockets.

Wyoming already has a lot of great pieces in place. We have the infrastructure in place to get the product to the port. We have the resources. There's a technology business incubator and one of the worlds fastest super computers in Laramie. We're in the process of revamping our engineering, science, and research facilities at UW. We've been studying an industrial complex to create more value out of our abundant resources.

The one thing the state and the university is missing is the Port facility to connect our product to an international market.

Go buy us a port Wyoming. It would do the state an abundance of good.

Oh, and if you're wondering how this applys to UW, this helps secure the budget money that helps pay for UW athletics. :D
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:There's already a market for Wyoming coal and natural gas across the seas. That's not going to change. More people are getting into that market as we speak. We could be making a lot of money exporting our coal, natural gas, trona, uranium.....There's a big demand for resources and we have a lot of them.

Wyoming already has the infrastructure to transport the resources. The Ruby natural gas line ships our natural gas to Oregon for us. Wyoming has a pretty robust network of trains for shipping coal. Since demand has gone down, more trains are available for transport. We can get the coal to Oregon, Washington, or even Canada if we have to.

What we don't have is the facility to condense the natural gas for shipment overseas. Now that Trump is in office, and the Republicans control the house and senate, the permitting process for the Natural Gas export facilities in the Pacific Northwest will speed up considerably. Hopefully, we'll see those facilities rushed to market. I don't know what our ownership stake is in the port facilities.

The volatility for the US is the political climate. When it's a Republican controlled government, we can ship our product. When it's a democratic controlled government, we can't. In Canada, it doesn't matter if the Democrats are in office. They ship all the time.

Wyoming needs to buy a major controlling interest in a port facility. Imagine how much money we could make if we didn't have to share our overseas export capacity with other interests. If the boat is loaded with 100 percent Wyoming natural gas, coal, oil, or Trona, the profit sky rockets.

Wyoming already has a lot of great pieces in place. We have the infrastructure in place to get the product to the port. We have the resources. There's a technology business incubator and one of the worlds fastest super computers in Laramie. We're in the process of revamping our engineering, science, and research facilities at UW. We've been studying an industrial complex to create more value out of our abundant resources.

The one thing the state and the university is missing is the Port facility to connect our product to an international market.

Go buy us a port Wyoming. It would do the state an abundance of good.

Oh, and if you're wondering how this applys to UW, this helps secure the budget money that helps pay for UW athletics. :D
Yeah, what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Or the Gulf Coast. Texas is a lot friendlier to energy than those freaks on the left coast.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

What port is for sale on the west coast? How much would that cost even if it was for sale? How is the state going to pay for that? Maybe instead of getting even more tied to fluctuations in energy prices we do something else with whatever funds we have? Can you imagine how great that's going to function when China decides to retaliate against Trump for imposing tariffs or whatever other international developments may occur? You'd be literally putting every cent Wyoming has all in on the boom bust cycle we already experience?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:What port is for sale on the west coast? How much would that cost even if it was for sale? How is the state going to pay for that? Maybe instead of getting even more tied to fluctuations in energy prices we do something else with whatever funds we have? Can you imagine how great that's going to function when China decides to retaliate against Trump for imposing tariffs or whatever other international developments may occur? You'd be literally putting every cent Wyoming has all in on the boom bust cycle we already experience?
A port makes the energy market less volatile. It allows you to ship when the prices are high.

Wyoming is always going to be heavily dependent on energy. We can balance the economy and make it more diverse. We need to. We'll always need to sell our abundant resources. That will always be a part of a diverse Wyoming economy. We still need a port to ship our product.

Right now the bottleneck is our ability to ship overseas. Natural gas is profitable overseas. So is Coal. So is Uranium, Trona..... Oil is up and down.

The state could make tons of money if we could always keep the shipping lanes full of our product.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Owning a port has zero to do with the market. That's making distribution/shipping easier in this hypothetical scenario. The market is set by other factors such as classic supply/demand and in this case a plethora of potential other international situations that may develop.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

What countries overseas are so interested in coal? China is shutting down all their coal plants around Beijing next year, 3 years ahead of schedule, in an effort to reduce smog. That's 13 Million Metric tons they're not burning every year just in one region (for comparison, Wyoming mines produced 350 Million Metric tons in 2013).

India's on a similar path, which goes opposite to what was predicted just 18 months ago. They're shutting down about 18% of their coal plant capacity in the next couple of years, and with their annual usage of about 790 Million Metric tons, that accounts for 140 Million Metric tons less used. They're also investing pretty heavily in developing Thorium reactors, though who knows if anything will come of that?

Natural gas should be fine for now, probably.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Coal is dying. I won't bore you with details but it's called supply and demand, or lack of the latter. Your savior Drumpf isn't going to change that.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Chinese economy is tanking, towns are being abandoned. They were the largest buyers of coal.
ImageImageImageImage
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Is there another forum for this?

*Edit: Yep and it's there.
52-56
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

Wyoming has been pushing this for 6 years. Every time the government shuts it down to the some BS environmental impact study.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/i ... morro.html

So they said f-word it and are now going north.

https://www.drybulkmagazine.com/ports-t ... l-exports/
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:Coal is dying. I won't bore you with details but it's called supply and demand, or lack of the latter. Your savior Drumpf isn't going to change that.
"President Trump"!, will be much more supportive of the mineral industry which is good for Wyoming residents, the state and certainly UW. China's demand for coal, as others, is not going away anytime soon so you are correct the law of supply and demand still applies. It'll just be nice to have an adult in the White House who understands such things.

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Poke-proud wrote:China's demand for coal, as others, is not going away anytime soon so you are correct the law of supply and demand still applies. It'll just be nice to have an adult in the White House who understands such things.
How is it not going away when they're closing their coal plants, and even closing mines because their long-term plan is to ditch coal entirely? While they'll certainly continue to use coal for another 2-3 decades, the writing's on the wall both there and in India, and those two countries are the two largest users of coal in the world.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I read Gov Mead started an economic diversity initiative. Hopefully we're starting to get the message.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:China's demand for coal, as others, is not going away anytime soon so you are correct the law of supply and demand still applies. It'll just be nice to have an adult in the White House who understands such things.
How is it not going away when they're closing their coal plants, and even closing mines because their long-term plan is to ditch coal entirely? While they'll certainly continue to use coal for another 2-3 decades, the writing's on the wall both there and in India, and those two countries are the two largest users of coal in the world.
Here's why, and goes to why this very post is relevant, with regard to a port.

https://www.economiccalendar.com/2016/1 ... the-globe/

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:I read Gov Mead started an economic diversity initiative. Hopefully we're starting to get the message.
About time.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Get er done!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Poke-proud wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Here's why, and goes to why this very post is relevant, with regard to a port.

https://www.economiccalendar.com/2016/1 ... the-globe/

Do you have any other sources? My browser won't let me look at that one due to an invalid SSL certificate. Not saying that makes the site invalid, just that I can't read it.

It does go against pretty much everything else I've seen, though. Short term, yes, there'll be demand, but when everybody's pushing hard to get away from it, investment better not be made to depend on long term viability.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

Thought I would chime in here. Coal usage is being reduced, not eliminated. And right now Nat Gas prices are very low, with the huge increase in nat gas usage, prices aren't going to stay this low over time. Coal will certainly be very much in use in China, India and throughout the world for next 25 years. And the state of Wyoming does get a tremendous amount of tax revenue from coal, not to mention all the jobs associated with it. The EPA mandates setup by Obama have been stopped in court already. Exporting coal is a viable option that should be implemented. And we should let the market decide coals future, not lawyers and bureaucrats.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

dakarpoke wrote: And right now Nat Gas prices are very low, with the huge increase in nat gas usage, prices aren't going to stay this low over time.
This was my thinking two years ago. Now very few in the industry are predicting significant increases in Natural Gas prices over the foreseeable future. The economical supply at current prices is just bigger than anyone could have predicted.

Icahn throwing the towel in on CHK after riding with them for so long was a big surprise to me indicating that he doesn't project price increases.