MWC Impact With 23 Cal State U. Campuses Not Reopening in the Fall?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
User avatar
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

User avatar
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 pm

User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

wonderful
Lost Poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 am

You would have to assume that the CS system would not allow in-person attendance at games. With that:

- MWC plays without the three Cal State schools. Some teams play each other twice
- MWC plays with the three Cal State schools, but reworks the schedule to keep those schools in California and Nevada to reduce travel costs since they'll not be getting any ticket revenue.

And also, never mind that non-conference games are going to be jacked, too.
OrediggerPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3859
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:57 am

And with that...just about every college campus will be closed to in-person instruction in the fall. I've said all along that this is going to be a domino effect as soon as the first school(s) announce. I'm disheartened by our society that we need to live in so much fear when it wasn't that long ago that millions in our country freely signed up to go to Europe and the Pacific with the knowledge that there was a good likelihood that they weren't coming back.

The reality - we won't have college football or any sort of normalcy next year. College towns across the nation (such as Laramie, etc...) will be left for dead.

...and the worst part, because of these decisions, and the resistance to herd immunity, the COVID issue is going to linger on much longer.
User avatar
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7382
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

Here’s to hoping the SEC says, “[#]f##k that” and forces the ncaa’s hand. We could easily drop the games with the Cali schools. The most disheartening part of this is they’re calling it way too far out. Trying to make Trump look bad is going too far. My senses tell me they want the shutdowns to last as long as possible solely for that reason.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Lost Poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 am

Yeah, the NCAA is planning to kill off a large part of their membership, and pro sports leagues are going to go out of business, and everyone is trying to get into the worst depression in history, to get at the president.
ragtimejoe1
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Hopefully the Wisconsin ruling starts a nationwide trend. This is absolute BS.

Show me one piece of data that suggests those under 50 with no health conditions will overrun hospitals or have high death rates. Antibody test those over 50. If they had it and fought it off, chances are they are fine too. Recommend those under 50 get a physical to see if they are at risk and also test them for antibodies. Make a law prohibiting any lawsuit for anything associated with COVID. These 3 things would have the US running near capacity within a month or two. MAKE A DAMN PLAN TO OPEN THIS UP INSTEAD OF SLOWING THE VIRUS.

Also, I love the whole argument: "well, we don't know if the antibodies resulting from infection will confer protection; we need to wait for a vaccine to fully open up". Just how in the hell do they think a vaccine will work?

Unbelievable. I predict tides will change rapidly. Courts and the Constitution are about to take over. I might be wrong, but isn't Wisconsin the first major challenge? If so, 1-0 for the good guys.
"There's always excuses for a sports program not winning or academic program not succeeding. And it's not that the excuses aren't true; it's that they aren't sufficient," --Sternberg
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

I've noticed that the same people that say that the virus rapidly mutates thus making it unsafe to leave their homes are the same ones that think a vaccine is coming soon. lmfao.
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Here's the fun part about all this: nothing says the next mutation of this virus won't be FAR more lethal than the current version. And yeah, like you guys have mentioned, nothing says that a vaccine will be all that helpful. In other words, at some point we'll have to figure out this new reality and be able to deal with potential pandemics even worse than this one.

All the current measures are about slowing things down, though, as well as not getting hit by a second wave. We still can't test and isolate, and I think that's the main problem. If we had that in place, it'd be a lot easier to completely open things up again.


I think the big question is: how do we respond to NOT have a complete financial collapse if another wave hits? Throwing money at the stock market is idiotic at best, as that has no impact on us normal people in the near future. All it did was line the pockets of a very small percentage of people, just as intended.
OrediggerPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3859
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:57 am

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2020/05/uw- ... -fall.html

Wyoming's plan for fall on-campus instruction. I am baffled by the 'testing' because not sure what that accomplishes at all and it would cost the University $12.5 million just for the fall semester. Also not sure how Wyoming would have enough student housing to move to single person per room in the dorms. I am glad that there is a scenario for a return to on-campus instruction however.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Nevada/Florida

This whole fiasco hinging on testing is a failed experiment before it even starts. The few studies out there state that they think the PCR tests (accurate to 100% under ideal conditions) only have a 66% to 80% sensitivity in the real world. That means that 1 in 3 people who receive a negative test result is actually positive. My daughter was just released from the hospital after 5 days. The local hospital lab said she was negative for COVID. She demanded they send a specimen out to a commercial lab and what do you know, she tested positive.

I guess in a round about way I'm saying it's garbage in and garbage out at this stage of the game. It is going to be incumbent upon the individual to do the right thing. I have bad lungs. I will avoid places that could kill me. My malady should not preclude the rest of the people from going about their business. If I don't know you, I won't let you in my home. If I do know you, I will still probably treat you like you have the plague, because you just might. I will say that my daughter has no risk factors, and she's 41 years old. So don't think you're bullet proof. Wear a mask, wash your hands, and don't stare lovingly into the eyes of a complete stranger. Let's just get on with things and be done with it. This pooch has already been screwed.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
User avatar
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:44 pm
Location: Sheridan, WY

I feel like most people are starting to see through the ruse. It went from "flatten the curve" to "we'll arrest you" so fast. The lockdown was only supposed to be a few weeks, but now that power hungry politicians got a taste, they're not letting go. I'd wager this would be completely different if it wasn't an election year.

At least we live in one of the more reasonable states, although we just had a Karen shut down a brewery in my hometown yesterday for employees not wearing a mask. 🤬
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2903
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
Image
User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
You need to read George Orwell's "1984." It's why a lot of morons are running around thinking communism is making a worldwide comeback. I get why but.....

There IS a strong possiblity of a second wave that just might cause more problems than ANYBODY could think of. People need to read up on the history of the last major worldwide pandemic....Spanish Flu (1918-19). The first wave wasn't at all bad. It was the second one that cause millions to die. The most conservative estimate for the total amount of dead is around 40 million. Some historians think at least 100 million deaths out of a world population at the time (1918) of 1.8 billion. We now have almost 8 billion.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken Sh#t! And we're getting chicken Sh#t!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3121
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:21 pm

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
When this first started, I saw an interview with a psychologist regarding the start of the shutdown. His concern was that this was such an extreme measure every subsequent decision will need to justify the first. The flexibility to adapt to new data will be limited.

Secondly, many politicians lack the intestinal fortitude to do what is right (open economy) because of risk of some deaths that will be pinned on them (either correctly or incorrectly). In other words, they would rather crash the economy than have headlines blaming them for deaths.

Lastly, many of our politicians are in the susceptible group. They are making decisions from their perspective rather than 90%+ of the population.

In summation, they are stepping all over our rights due to their own political agenda and self preservation rather than what is right for the country.
"There's always excuses for a sports program not winning or academic program not succeeding. And it's not that the excuses aren't true; it's that they aren't sufficient," --Sternberg
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 pm

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
No politician wants to be blamed for any deaths. It's a lot easier to say that he/she wanted to keep people safe instead of opening up the economy and exposing people to risk. Plus, with the current unemployment benefit system, it's better financially for many workers to stay unemployed. The only people upset are those who are going to have to shut their businesses (perhaps forever). The problem with this approach is: What is the end game? Keep social distancing by keeping businesses closed does what? The virus isn't going to be totally eradicated. People still have to go the supermarket. Essential workers are still going to work. We may get a second wave no matter how long were kept from living our lives.
I think that the economic apocalypse that is approaching is requiring people to reassess this approach. In the fort collins Coloradoan, the CSewe president said that classes will be open this fall. My neighbors health clubs are about to reopen. I got a haircut 2 weeks ago. Stores are starting to reopen. I don't believe the California decision will have any effect on the rest of the conference. CSU's bond payments on that fancy new stadium aren't going to be abated if they don't play football this fall. I still think the odds are that we don't play. But I think the pressure on schools to get things moving is going to increase.
User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6650
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Wyokie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
You need to read George Orwell's "1984." It's why a lot of morons are running around thinking communism is making a worldwide comeback. I get why but.....

There IS a strong possiblity of a second wave that just might cause more problems than ANYBODY could think of. People need to read up on the history of the last major worldwide pandemic....Spanish Flu (1918-19). The first wave wasn't at all bad. It was the second one that cause millions to die. The most conservative estimate for the total amount of dead is around 40 million. Some historians think at least 100 million deaths out of a world population at the time (1918) of 1.8 billion. We now have almost 8 billion.
What frustrates me is that there isn't more talking about preparing society for a potential second wave. If this little C-word nugget mutates the wrong way, the U.S. economy as we know it won't be able to function at all for a while, and it's already on its knees. So far we've spent $218 Billion on the very socialist experiment of the stimulus checks. Sure it was a life saver for many people, I'm sure, but it's a fart in the wind as far as long term solutions go.

And then we committed a potential $1.8 Trillion to the Commercial Paper Funding Facility, essentially putting up a guarantee on high risk investments and promising to cover the asses of major risk takers. The funny thing is that this is an initial $14.3 Billion item which somehow makes it get lost, but the Fed has it authorized up to $1.8 Trillion. That's our money going straight into pockets of people on Wall Street when the next crash starts happening. Neat, eh? For a comparison, Canada's GDP was less than that last year.

I get that you have to set up some extraordinary protections in times like these. I don't mind things like the GSE mortgage-backed securities purchases that we committed $1.25 Trillion to ($775 Billion of that has already been spent), because that will keep interest rates low and theoretically that money doesn't just disappear either. But maaaan...

We've made a commitment (it's not spent yet - it's "just" authorized) of over $6 Trillion already. $6 Trillion. That is OUR money. I'm not sure I call myself a fiscal conservative anymore because it has weird connotations and all, but... the things we've committed those $6 Trillion to aren't things that will help much if there's a second wave. Imagine the infrastructure HALF of that money could buy us even with people remaining socially distant and being careful while working on it? $440.5 Billion was spent on public infrastructure in 2017 (less than in 2007). Imagine what could be done with 7-8 times that? We could create a true fiber infrastructure for rural America, for example. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm just frustrated to see all this money being committed to eliminating the risk for those who deliberately take investment risk. Yes, it made the stock market rebound, but that's because so many of those investors can't lose money now!
User avatar
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 2903
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am

Wyokie, ragtime, bladerunnr: thank you for your explanations, those make a LOT more sense to me than the conspiracy theories I've seen flying around. Appreciate your point of view, certainly agree with what you guys are saying as well.
Image
User avatar
LanderPoke
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:47 pm
Location: Laramie

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 pm
Ok I'll bite...I keep hearing people talking about "crushing our rights" and "keeping us in an unnecessary lockdown". I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with those statements, but what is the benefit to politicians, bureaucrats, etc in extending a lockdown? I just don't see the benefit of it, why do it if there's no benefit?

Not bashing, I'm truly confused as to how people see this as a possibility when I just don't see a reason behind it.
I think there is a contingent that believes our very existence as a country is illegitimate. They are embarrassed and infuriated by capitalism and want it to end. Green new deal BS. This is their big opportunity to begin the fulfillment their mission of re-shaping America as we know it. Old white man bad and down with the oppressors and our evil country and society and time for us to be a good citizen at the world table.
Post Reply