MWC Finalizes $270M Media Rights Deal With CBS Sports, Fox

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Mountain West will announce its new TV deal at 2 pm. Fox and CBS reps will be on the teleconference.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai ... 9/MWC.aspx
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Guess with a "dying" ESPN viewership maybe this will be better for the MWC in the long run, they just don't have the best announcers imo
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Nice. So it wasn't that far off the 'leaked' contract. Let's hire a real basketball coach with our new windfall!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

This is better than allot of people expected I think. Not only does it triple our tv revenue, but it might also increase our exposure. I think there will be a few games a year on CBS and fox in addition to CBS Sports and FS1. While the AAC deal is bigger money wise I think they will get less exposure on ESPN plus. When this deal ends in 6 years and they are still in the middle of their espn contract the MWC could be in a great position to get an even bigger deal. I think the espn SEC deal really helped us out in getting a bit more from CBS. While we still get late starts I think they are capped at 8 MST, so at least we don’t have the 830 games.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Pretty hard not to give credit to the Hair for this one. He checked all the boxes: 1) More money (significantly more); 2) OTA broadcasts on national networks; 3) Improved broadcast windows and days; 4) Retention of 3rd tier rights; 5) Dropped ESPN; 6) And, possibly most importantly, only a 6 year contract. The media model for sports and entertainment is still shifting under our feet. Best to remain somewhat nimble and untethered to any single model in a period of paradigm fluidity.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Any word on if the individual schools will get to control tier 3 rights?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:59 am Pretty hard not to give credit to the Hair for this one. He checked all the boxes: 1) More money (significantly more); 2) OTA broadcasts on national networks; 3) Improved broadcast windows and days; 4) Retention of 3rd tier rights; 5) Dropped ESPN; 6) And, possibly most importantly, only a 6 year contract. The media model for sports and entertainment is still shifting under our feet. Best to remain somewhat nimble and untethered to any single model in a period of paradigm fluidity.
I approve this message.

Wider broadcast windows and dropping SEC-loving, Cartel-Five-pumping ESPN sounds good to me. Will not miss ESPN broadcasters spending an inordinate amount of time discussing/promoting upcoming Cartel-Five games during MWC broadcasts. That is/was annoying as hell.

Time for Bohl to start knocking the Mountain division on its ass. We want those national CBS/FOX broadcasts to include the Pokes. :thumb:
Last edited by POKE FAN on Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:45 am This is better than allot of people expected I think. Not only does it triple our tv revenue, but it might also increase our exposure. I think there will be a few games a year on CBS and fox in addition to CBS Sports and FS1. While the AAC deal is bigger money wise I think they will get less exposure on ESPN plus. When this deal ends in 6 years and they are still in the middle of their espn contract the MWC could be in a great position to get an even bigger deal. I think the espn SEC deal really helped us out in getting a bit more from CBS. While we still get late starts I think they are capped at 8 MST, so at least we don’t have the 830 games.
Good points. We get some football and basketball games on big CBS and on big Fox. That's huge.

I think it was a good move to negotiate a shorter deal, because that gives us better flexibility should viewer tastes change even more in the coming years. AAC will be locked into their deal for an eternity. Plus, as far as the AAC is concerned, I think they get ~6 mil per school from their deal, but production costs for their ESPN+ games are borne by the conference and that's not an insignificant amount. So AAC schools are likely getting less than 6 mil per school and we have yet to negotiate our 3rd tier rights, which will provide MWC schools even more than the ~4 mil we will be getting.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Hair did well on this.
As stated above, the stage is set for WYO to make good strides if Bohl teams start peaking.
I'm surprised this good of deal shook out for the MWC.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

2020 will be the year of the cowboy. We are going to finally get that losing poop of the last 20 years off our back. The next 20 are going to be great.

#mwcchampions2020
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 pm 2020 will be the year of the cowboy. We are going to finally get that losing poop of the last 20 years off our back. The next 20 are going to be great.

#mwcchampions2020
Personally, it's been over 30 years. Our last OUTRIGHT championship was in 1988, Ronald Reagan's last year in office!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Boise/Wyoming on CBS next year in Laramie?