Question for those at spring game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

I was at the spring game and a video played before the game. It was about 2-3 minutes long and was a mixture of cowboy football highlights intermixed with rodeo/bull riding highlights. I really liked the video and thought it would be a great way to pump people up before a game. Does anyone know if they plan on playing that video before the games this fall? Also can it be found anywhere online currently?

I know last year they played a different video before games, but they always had trouble deciding when to play it. I hope this year they play the new video and figure out a good time to play it to get everyone pumped up right before the game.
23handicap
Buckaroo

That's a terrible idea and IMO would be bad for recruiting. The Cowboys is the mascot but doesn't mean every stink'n fan that were's brown and gold is a "Cowboy". I don't want to see that sh!t when I am at the game. It's bad enough listening to crappy Cotton Eyed Joe crap! And yes, I am a die hard Cowboy fan!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

The video was I think based on the new motto "It's a whole new rodeo." Its not something I came up with it's something, they already have and played at the spring game. It was mainly football highlights to either a metallica or ac-dc song I can't remember what song was played, with a few bull riding highlights in between. It sounds like you didn't see it, it wasn't all bull riding. It would be like 2 seconds of bull riding followed by some big cowboy defensive tackles and then a little more bull riding, and then some more football highlights.

I personally thought it was a better video then what they played last year before games and I've only been to about 2 rodeos in my life and grew up in big city's (meaning I'm not into rodeo). Also I disagree that playing a 2 minute video before a game to get people pumped up would hurt recruiting. Our pregame entrance use to be poor at best. They improved it last year, and I liked what they added, but I think it can still be improved. For instance they never could decide when to play last years highlight video. On top of that most major schools have a big entrance including highlight videos. So if anything I think it would be good for recruiting to at least have last years highlight video or the new one.

Would you rather be a recruit and go to a football game where the team comes in and the crowd just claps a little and doesn't do much, or would you rather go to a school where the stands are going crazy when you enter. We need to up our entrance routine to compete with bigger schools to help wow recruits.

To me the video doesn't matter if it has some cowboys mixed in with football, I want a video that is going to pump up the crowd before the game so all the other people besides the student section might actually get off there butt and be excited for the opening kickoff rather then acting like they are at a movie theater or something
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

23handicap wrote:That's a terrible idea and IMO would be bad for recruiting. The Cowboys is the mascot but doesn't mean every stink'n fan that were's brown and gold is a "Cowboy". I don't want to see that sh!t when I am at the game. It's bad enough listening to crappy Cotton Eyed Joe crap! And yes, I am a die hard Cowboy fan!
Although I don't really care either way, I like your opinion. Too many times, Wyoming Football gets smashed into the same "pot" as Wyoming Rodeo...which in the grand scheme of college athletics, is kind of wierd. Your comments take me back to Pat Dye's comments when he left Wyoming for Auburn...paraphrasing, he said "Wyoming fans care more about rodeo than football". I hated that comment, because I enjoy both, but Football is and always will be #1 to me!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

WyomingAg...

Our last few years of in-stadium media have been pathetic...so anything new is a good thing. That being said, I think they should stick with football highlights & similar. And lastly, if we were undefeated and / or competing for something special, I wouldn't care if they played the nutcracker upon entrance.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:
23handicap wrote:That's a terrible idea and IMO would be bad for recruiting. The Cowboys is the mascot but doesn't mean every stink'n fan that were's brown and gold is a "Cowboy". I don't want to see that sh!t when I am at the game. It's bad enough listening to crappy Cotton Eyed Joe crap! And yes, I am a die hard Cowboy fan!
Although I don't really care either way, I like your opinion. Too many times, Wyoming Football gets smashed into the same "pot" as Wyoming Rodeo...which in the grand scheme of college athletics, is kind of wierd. Your comments take me back to Pat Dye's comments when he left Wyoming for Auburn...paraphrasing, he said "Wyoming fans care more about rodeo than football". I hated that comment, because I enjoy both, but Football is and always will be #1 to me!

I hated Pat Dye's comment too. It reminds me of a comment Rocky Long made before he left New Mexico - something to the effect of "it is impossible for New Mexico or Wyoming to recruit the players to build the team needed to get to the top". That reminds me of someone else who used to be around here. I'm glad Paul Roach didn't feel that way.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I'm with peachy on this, if we are winning they can do what ever they like. I am there to watch the game, not for all the fluff. However I don't agree they should be showing rodeo at the football games. Does our rodeo team show highlights of football during their competitions?
I'm good for 3!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Here at Montana we had a company do us up an intro-video, the company was out of Bozeman, and they did it for football and basketball, but they did an outstanding job. All football highlights, all relevant clips, it was awesome. Good way to get the crowd going, get the team going, and not a total distraction.

ImageImageImageImage
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

This debate is rather funny to me.I don't think it is uncommon at all to incorporate a team's mascot into an intro video, etc. The non-football images are obviously there to help portray the "cowboy-tough" mantra many people associate with the Western lifestyle. I don't think it has anything to do with trying to support rodeo. Maybe we should all just start basing our favorite teams off of the team's nickname/mascot so that none of us are disappointed in the intro video. I can't believe this is even being discussed.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

My question still stands, does anyone know if they will be showing an intro video at the beginning of the games next year as they did last year? Assuming they do does anyone know if it will be the same one as last year or the new one they showed at the spring game?

Also after reading Titleist's response do we have any sort of video crew or person in the athletic department who is in charge of creating what is shown on the screen (videos, highlights, replays, etc)?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I'm sure there's a marketing/multimedia dept within the athletic dept. If UW wants to get serious about this pre-game video that doesn't blow, I'd take a look at this company in Bozeman. They did an outstanding job. The video is a bit old as it has our old uniforms and some of the players have been graduated for two years, so I suspect we'll be getting it updated before this season.
ImageImageImageImage
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Yeah that was a good video. It would be nice if UW could get something good like that.
WyoCow85
Buckaroo

I am not into rodeo, and although I have lived in Wyoming my entire life, I really don't get into all of the Western stuff. However, I think objecting to that being part of our football game atmosphere is absolutely ridiculous. Whether you like it or not, these games are being played in Laramie Wyoming. Mascots and game themes reflect the culture of the team's location. This is the case with almost EVERY team in college athletics. Recruits by and large could careless. If a recruit would object to games carrying this theme, they would certainly object to living in this community anyways. One thing I do believe is that our pregame, and in-game motivational presence is severely lacking. This IS something recruits would notice during visits, and is something I can imagine hurting their experience.

I support using a lot of Wyoming's culture and tradition in a video hyping the football team, because again, whether you like it or not, this tradition is one which if nothing else, is one of toughness and grit. If you ever spent ONE DAY with a rancher or cowboy, you would see countless parallels to football. You would also probably think we have a pretty damn good team name. These are all things that make Wyoming football great. Its the traditions and uniqueness of Wyoming football. We haven't classically been a dominant force in the college landscape. But we play at 7200 feet, its cold as sh!t, the majority of the fans are hammered beyond belief, our uniforms are ugly... and we are the mother f-ing cowboys. I can't really think of ANY mascot that would fit that scene better...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

WyoCow85 wrote:We haven't classically been a dominant force in the college landscape. But we play at 7200 feet, its cold as sh!t, the majority of the fans are hammered beyond belief, our uniforms are ugly... and we are the mother f-ing cowboys. I can't really think of ANY mascot that would fit that scene better...
Preach it brother WyoCow85. That's almost the most bad ass thing I've ever read.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

MrTitleist wrote:
WyoCow85 wrote:We haven't classically been a dominant force in the college landscape. But we play at 7200 feet, its cold as sh!t, the majority of the fans are hammered beyond belief, our uniforms are ugly... and we are the mother f-ing cowboys. I can't really think of ANY mascot that would fit that scene better...
Preach it brother WyoCow85. That's almost the most bad ass thing I've ever read.
Well said, WyoCow85!!!!

Wyomingites everywhere are proud to know how to get completely hammered for a football game. We put the Okies to shame!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

MrTitleist wrote:
One of the best things I've ever read here!! Well Said.
I'm good for 3!
MtnFBfan
Buckaroo

WyoCow85 wrote: I support using a lot of Wyoming's culture and tradition in a video hyping the football team, because again, whether you like it or not, this tradition is one which if nothing else, is one of toughness and grit. If you ever spent ONE DAY with a rancher or cowboy, you would see countless parallels to football. You would also probably think we have a pretty damn good team name. These are all things that make Wyoming football great. Its the traditions and uniqueness of Wyoming football. We haven't classically been a dominant force in the college landscape. But we play at 7200 feet, its cold as sh!t, the majority of the fans are hammered beyond belief, our uniforms are ugly... and we are the mother f-ing cowboys. I can't really think of ANY mascot that would fit that scene better...
I'm not from Wyoming but that was a dandy comment!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

MtnFBfan wrote:
WyoCow85 wrote: I support using a lot of Wyoming's culture and tradition in a video hyping the football team, because again, whether you like it or not, this tradition is one which if nothing else, is one of toughness and grit. If you ever spent ONE DAY with a rancher or cowboy, you would see countless parallels to football. You would also probably think we have a pretty damn good team name. These are all things that make Wyoming football great. Its the traditions and uniqueness of Wyoming football. We haven't classically been a dominant force in the college landscape. But we play at 7200 feet, its cold as sh!t, the majority of the fans are hammered beyond belief, our uniforms are ugly... and we are the mother f-ing cowboys. I can't really think of ANY mascot that would fit that scene better...
Where you from? Boulder?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MtnFBfan
Buckaroo

Wyokie wrote:
MtnFBfan wrote:
Where you from? Boulder?
In Lakewood, CO...lived in Boulder for a couple of years and never want to live in that left wing hellhole again.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyoming has a reputable company out of Denver do the videos. I believe they also do the videos for CSU, CU, and DU. I look everywhere and can't find the link, but I know they usually post them on the web.

Anyone know the link the company that does them?