Sorry about this post - but where is our GD will to compete?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

Bohl and staff knew this year was coming. So, they just decided f-word it, we are young, and we will ride it out? Who the f-word does that these days? This year's debacle is jeopardizing the fanbase. IF UW goes 0 - 12 it will take YEARS to correct. I am talking about sinking to levels lower than the Vic Koenning experiment.

FCS championships or not, this is not coaching, and this is not recruiting. And it sure as hell is piss poor planning and organization on him and his staff's part. I can only hold out hope, but this does not look good. The timing in today's college football landscape couldn't be worse.

:willybs:

:cry:

:thumbdown:

:evil:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I have a few issues with the way this year has developed. First off let me remind all of you that I was not a Bohl fan, I was leary of his style of play and his ability to get the kind of talent needed to compete at the D1 level. D2 coaches who are successful rarely transfer that to the next level.

Having said that I believe that he will get to where he will win half of the games a year and maybe to a bowl game in the next 5 years if he stays that long. My concern is this....How can we go from being a bad team winning three or four games a year to the worst team in the nation and not winning any? Is this part of the "re-building" process many of you have spoke about? If so, how come other schools do not experience the same pain. I would like to think that even in a rebuilding year a good coaching staff could maintain a certain level of success and still build for the future. Hell, you should be able to win two games with anyone's recruits; spread, pro or option!

I think the Bohl Dynasty is a bust. He will never get this team to a top level competitor for several reasons. Number one: I don't think this state is patient enough to allow him the time it is going to take. Number two; I don't think he will be able to recruit the type of players he needs to compete ( particularly if he doesn't win a game this year). and Number three; he is way to stuborn to change his style. This was evident this week when the only thing that was working the pass to Gentry and Maulhardt was abandoned for his feeble attempt to establish the run game. Stay with what is working...that is Pop Warner coaching 101.

In short.................I TOLD YOU SO! Now we are the laughing stock of the entire Nation. Not just the MWC or the Western region.......let me say it again......THE ENTIRE FREAKING COUNTRY! But hey lets all "Cowboy UP"
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It is called attrition. We had zero depth at linebacker (the only linebacker playing linebacker is Wacha). All our db's, except for Tyran Finley are freshman. We start up to three TRUE freshman on our offensive line. We have only two guys with game experience at wide receiver. Our backup DE's are barely over 200lbs.

These are facts that easily explain why were are in the position we are in today. Some don't want or try to understand, but the previous staff didn't recruit well...especially on D. And most of the guys they recruited left the team. It is tough to compete when you have 7 seniors and play mostly underclassmen.....some of which are not playing the position they are used to.

As a fan you can either accept this going to be a tough rebuild....or you bitch and don't try to understand the situation. Or, based on this history of this board.....you can just bitch.

And if anyone wants to bitch about recruiting.....start with DC. Bohl has only had two classes.....hardly enough time to build a team if you ask me.

And who the f-word cares about who think we are a laughing stock. In a couple years they won't. Cowboy up!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 135 times

JimmyDimes wrote:It is called attrition. We had zero depth at linebacker (the only linebacker playing linebacker is Wacha). All our db's, except for Tyran Finley are freshman. We start up to three TRUE freshman on our offensive line. We have only two guys with game experience at wide receiver. Our backup DE's are barely over 200lbs.

These are facts that easily explain why were are in the position we are in today. Some don't want or try to understand, but the previous staff didn't recruit well...especially on D. And most of the guys they recruited left the team. It is tough to compete when you have 7 seniors and play mostly underclassmen.....some of which are not playing the position they are used to.

As a fan you can either accept this going to be a tough rebuild....or you bitch and don't try to understand the situation. Or, based on this history of this board.....you can just bitch.

And if anyone wants to bitch about recruiting.....start with DC. Bohl has only had two classes.....hardly enough time to build a team if you ask me.

And who the f-word cares about who think we are a laughing stock. In a couple years they won't. Cowboy up!!
Or you mix in a few more JC guys, adjust your system a little to the players you have to prevent attrition, etc.

Like I said, I'm okay with blowing up the program if it pays off a little next year and a lot the following year. If it doesn't pay off a little next year and a lot the following (not NY6 a lot, but 8+ wins a lot), then blowing up the program was not the right approach.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Preventing Attrition is part of maintaining a level of success. How many have left the program because they weren't a good "Fit" for the program and went elsewhere and are competing? Holy Hell! JimmyDimes Did you really say who cares if we are the worst team in the nation? I would say that 99.9% of our fans care!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I bet Jason Thompson is glad he went to Utah.....
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:Bohl has only had two classes.....hardly enough time to build a team if you ask me.
Hardly enough time to build a team? Yes and no. Enough time to build a 6 & 6 team? Maybe. Enough time to build a MWC contender? Clearly no. Enough time to build a team to at least f-word compete (against poop competition mind you)? HELL YES.

Bohl clearly knew what he and his staff were getting into. They f-word around in ND an extra 4 weeks and fanned on the first recruiting class (yes with the exception of Brian Hill). They did nothing to backfill key positions with quality JC transfers in EITHER of the first 2 recruiting classes. And the one / lone JC kid they did get - quit, as they chased his ass out of town.
Dear Karma,

SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

This year's debacle is jeopardizing the fanbase.
Nah. When -- if -- they start winning consistently, all fans will be back and even more will get on the bandwagon and all will be forgiven.

'Tis the nature of the beast.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

JimmyDimes wrote:It is called attrition. We had zero depth at linebacker (the only linebacker playing linebacker is Wacha). All our db's, except for Tyran Finley are freshman. We start up to three TRUE freshman on our offensive line. We have only two guys with game experience at wide receiver. Our backup DE's are barely over 200lbs.

Great post. You can either freak out or you can look at the situation analytically and understand that the previous regime left us in a terrible hole.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Nah. When -- if -- they start winning consistently, all fans will be back and even more will get on the bandwagon and all will be forgiven.

Yes. This is so true. Wyoming has a core fanbase that will be there through everything as long as we play D-1. If we EVER start competing for conference championships I guarantee the WAR will be sold out. You heard me, sold out. The state would support a good football team like no one's business. Wyomingites are proud and would flock to the WAR if we are ever legitimately in contention after Sept.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:

*Heath Schroyer says you are incorrect.
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:Preventing Attrition is part of maintaining a level of success. How many have left the program because they weren't a good "Fit" for the program and went elsewhere and are competing? Holy Hell! JimmyDimes Did you really say who cares if we are the worst team in the nation? I would say that 99.9% of our fans care!
How many left the program under DC?
Slow Hand wrote:I bet Jason Thompson is glad he went to Utah.....
Yeah, sitting out 2 years in a row and losing a year of eligibility while ending up switching to another position while the coach you followed there bails to Texas.

But as Jimmy said, DC and staff screwed the pooch on recruiting (and especially on player development), particularly on defense. Last year we had a ton of seniors. What happens the year after when you had a team that is senior heavy graduates? You are forced to play a LOT of underclassmen who haven't had that first year or two to grow and develop that you would normally redshirt or play sparingly. If you guys didn't see a ton of growing pains this season, then how can you even see the keys to your keyboards? Even at the end of last year, it was about a given that this season would be more painful than last because we would lose a ton of starters on both sides at key positions. Does that make this season less painful? No, but it SHOULD put it into more perspective.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

How in the hell are you going to recruit anyone when you can't win a game? Who in their right mind would come to Laramie to be laughed at? He is compounding his problem. I will make a prediction.....he will leave before he ever fixes this and then you think DC left us in a bad spot you just wait!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Preventing Attrition is part of maintaining a level of success. How many have left the program because they weren't a good "Fit" for the program and went elsewhere and are competing? Holy Hell! JimmyDimes Did you really say who cares if we are the worst team in the nation? I would say that 99.9% of our fans care!
Yeah, sitting out 2 years in a row and losing a year of eligibility while ending up switching to another position while the coach you followed there bails to Texas.

But as Jimmy said, DC and staff screwed the pooch on recruiting (and especially on player development), particularly on defense. Last year we had a ton of seniors. What happens the year after when you had a team that is senior heavy graduates? You are forced to play a LOT of underclassmen who haven't had that first year or two to grow and develop that you would normally redshirt or play sparingly. If you guys didn't see a ton of growing pains this season, then how can you even see the keys to your keyboards? Even at the end of last year, it was about a given that this season would be more painful than last because we would lose a ton of starters on both sides at key positions. Does that make this season less painful? No, but it SHOULD put it into more perspective.
Yeah, I bet it is a bitch to be on a team that is ranked #10 in the country. Hell, he could have stayed and been on a team that is ranked #128 in the nation! SMH your logic confounds me.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:

Great post. You can either freak out or you can look at the situation analytically and understand that the previous regime left us in a terrible hole.
But did they - really - leave us in a terrible hole? It is easy to place blame on the previous coaching staff, that is what current coaching staffs do. Like Dickface did with Glenn, Bohl is doing with Dickface.

And I don't buy that poop one bit. Bohl walked into 20+ seniors on last year's squad (something like 9 starters on D as well) - and knew that he would need to recruit his ass off to stay the course. But he fanned on class #1, and poop the bed on not getting 6 - 8 JC's each class.
Dear Karma,

SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Yes. This is so true. Wyoming has a core fanbase that will be there through everything as long as we play D-1. If we EVER start competing for conference championships I guarantee the WAR will be sold out. You heard me, sold out. The state would support a good football team like no one's business. Wyomingites are proud and would flock to the WAR if we are ever legitimately in contention after Sept.
No doubt about that.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Our best players came to Wyoming because of DC's system. Just think how bad we would be if Gentry and Maulhardt would have bailed....Holy Hell!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Slow Hand wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:

Yeah, I bet it is a bitch to be on a team that is ranked #10 in the country. Hell, he could have stayed and been on a team that is ranked #128 in the nation! SMH your logic confounds me.
And playing how much?

I thought so. And you didn't bother with my other answer.
McPeachy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

But did they - really - leave us in a terrible hole? It is easy to place blame on the previous coaching staff, that is what current coaching staffs do. Like Dickface did with Glenn, Bohl is doing with Dickface.

And I don't buy that poop one bit. Bohl walked into 20+ seniors on last year's squad (something like 9 starters on D as well) - and knew that he would need to recruit his ass off to stay the course. But he fanned on class #1, and poop the bed on not getting 6 - 8 JC's each class.
And that time frame he wouldn't have been able to recruit anyways. This has already been established many times. It's not like he was hired at the beginning of recruiting season, or even in the middle.

As for JCs, I seem to remember a certain HC in basketball that only sparingly got JCs, and after 4 years, most of the players having been with the program as freshmen, won a conference title. He didn't take the easy way to "get wins NOW!" that only pays off in the short term and has a tendency to hurt in the long term.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:And the one / lone JC kid they did get - quit, as they chased his ass out of town.
So it's the coach's fault he got homesick?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
McPeachy wrote:And the one / lone JC kid they did get - quit, as they chased his ass out of town.
So it's the coach's fault he got homesick?
So you think he was homesick? :lol:

Oh, and sure, if that WERE the reason, you bet it was their "fault" if that even makes sense. They did nothing to provide a sense of belonging. And as a coach of a D1 FBS program that is in complete shambles, that is your f-word A#1 job.
Last edited by McPeachy on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Karma,