lets get it started week #1

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
sdpoke
Ranch Hand

we did this last year and lets do it again this. first whatever you are doing followed by either "Powder River" or "Let'er Buck" like at the game going back and forth.

so....

recovering from last nights fantasy football draft before working a couple hours and getting back home to watch some football tonite.

POWDER RIVER!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Watching the clock. As soon as I close up shop today it's off to the lake for the weekend! (Don't worry, I've secured a web connection to watch the game :thumb:)

LET 'ER BUCK!!!!!
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

Waiting for the mechanics to get done changing to oil in my car. Wondering what the significance of these phrases are. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Ummm.. Let Er Buck?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoMonarch wrote:Waiting for the mechanics to get done changing to oil in my car. Wondering what the significance of these phrases are. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Ummm.. Powder River?
Fixed.

Finished up painting a house for the day.

Let 'er Buck!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

planing my travel schedule to see both the pokes and the steelers on the same weekend

POWDER RIVER!!
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Watching the Game countdown on http://www.coachchristensen.com/ pumped as hell for the season to start!!

Let 'er Buck!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoMonarch wrote:Waiting for the mechanics to get done changing to oil in my car. Wondering what the significance of these phrases are. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Ummm.. Let Er Buck?

About to stop by the bookstore to pick up my last thing for classes and wondering why wyomonarch doesn't know what powder river let 'er buck means.

I mean, seriously? Are you a new freshman student wyomonarch? Because Powder River Let'er Book is an old old cheer. Coming from either WW1 or WW2, an old wyoming military group said it coming out of the trenches. once powder river let 'er buck was yelled, they were good to come out the trenches.
But now the cheer volleys back and fourth. Powder river yelled by one side of the stadium. then Let 'er buck yelled by the other
I believe, someone please correct me if my facts are wrong.

POWDER RIVER!!!!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

let er buck!

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

One of Wyoming Head Football Coach Joe Glenn's trademarks is the phrase "Powder River, Let `er Buck!" He often quotes this battle cry when speaking in public and addressing his team. The Powder River runs through north central Wyoming in Johnson and Sheridan Counties and in southeastern Montana.

Here is some history on the phrase "Powder River, Let `er Buck!"

The first story on the origin of the phrase comes to us courtesy of Wyoming Tales and Trails website at http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com.

Powder River has been described as being "a mile wide and an inch deep." Yet because of the war cry of cowboys, picked up by American troops, "Powder River, Let `er Buck," the river has gained a fame well beyond its size. According to Lander cattleman, Edward J. Farlow (1861-1951), author of "Powder River, Let `er Buck" (Annals of Wyoming, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1939) and Wind River Adventures: My Life in Frontier Wyoming, the expression originated with a cattle drive along Powder River to Casper. An excerpt from Mr. Farlow's article "Powder River, Let `er Buck" follows.

Some hands trailing cows to the railroad at Casper in the autumn of 1893 bedded down near the headwaters of Powder River, near the present Hiland, Wyoming, one night. They talked about crossing Powder River repeatedly the next morning, and spoke of getting their swimming horses. The next morning one cowboy, Missouri Bill Shultz, changed horses to get a good swimmer. Making their various crossings, they discovered that in the fall at that place, Powder River was just deep enough to wet a horse's hoof, and had barely enough energy to trickle from one hole to another.

When they got to Casper, Missouri Bill toasted the hands like this: "Boys, come and have a drink on me. I've crossed Powder River" They had the drinks, then a few more and were getting pretty sociable. When Missouri Bill again ordered he said to the boys, "Have another drink on me, I've swum Powder River," this time with a distinct emphasis on the words Powder River. "Yes, sir, by God, Powder River," with a little stronger emphasis. When the drinks were all set up he said, "Well, here's to Powder River, Let `er Buck!"

Soon he grew louder and was heard to say, "Powder River is coming upeeyeeep! -- Yes sir, Powder River is rising," and soon after with a yip and a yell, he pulls out his old six-gun and throwed a few shots through the ceiling and yelled, "Powder River is up, come an' have `nother drink." Bang! Bang! "Yeow, I'm a wolf and it's my night to howl. Powder River is out of `er banks. I'm wild and woolly and full o' fleas and never been curried below the knees!"

Bill was loaded for bear, and that is the first time I ever heard the slogan, and from there it went around the world.

The second story on the use of the phrase came about during World War II. This story is courtesy of the book "Thunder in the Appennines: The Story of the 361st Infantry Regiment in Italy" - by Roy Livengood. This is a detailed history of the 361st Regiment of the 91st Division. Drawing from several sources, it tells the story of the hard fighting in the Appennines. Appendix contains a list of veterans of the 361st Association as of 1978. Published by the 361st Association in 1981.

It was at Camp White, in the heart of the Rogue River Valley in Oregon, that the 361st Infantry Regiment of the 91st Infantry Division was reactivated on 15 August, 1942 after 23 years on the inactive rolls of the United States Army. The 361st, as part of the 91st Division, had served its country well during the First World War. It was one of the best units in the A.E.F. During the last months of the war, it had met and defeated the best of the German Army in the Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne and Ypres-Lys campaigns. In the 39 days it was in combat, it was credited with having permanently gained fifteen and one half miles of enemy territory. In a war where little real estate changed hands, this was a major accomplishment. After the armistice, the Regiment patrolled the Franco-Belgian border for a short period. It was here that the division adopted a green fir tree as its insignia and gave itself the battle cry, "Powder River, Let `er Buck!" The fir tree symbolized the Northwestern United States, for the personnel of the division had come from seven western states. By the time the division arrived back home, the battle cry had become official.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 127 times

Wyo2dal wrote:One of Wyoming Head Football Coach Joe Glenn's trademarks is the phrase "Powder River, Let `er Buck!" He often quotes this battle cry when speaking in public and addressing his team. The Powder River runs through north central Wyoming in Johnson and Sheridan Counties and in southeastern Montana.

Here is some history on the phrase "Powder River, Let `er Buck!"

The first story on the origin of the phrase comes to us courtesy of Wyoming Tales and Trails website at http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com.

Powder River has been described as being "a mile wide and an inch deep." Yet because of the war cry of cowboys, picked up by American troops, "Powder River, Let `er Buck," the river has gained a fame well beyond its size. According to Lander cattleman, Edward J. Farlow (1861-1951), author of "Powder River, Let `er Buck" (Annals of Wyoming, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1939) and Wind River Adventures: My Life in Frontier Wyoming, the expression originated with a cattle drive along Powder River to Casper. An excerpt from Mr. Farlow's article "Powder River, Let `er Buck" follows.

Some hands trailing cows to the railroad at Casper in the autumn of 1893 bedded down near the headwaters of Powder River, near the present Hiland, Wyoming, one night. They talked about crossing Powder River repeatedly the next morning, and spoke of getting their swimming horses. The next morning one cowboy, Missouri Bill Shultz, changed horses to get a good swimmer. Making their various crossings, they discovered that in the fall at that place, Powder River was just deep enough to wet a horse's hoof, and had barely enough energy to trickle from one hole to another.

When they got to Casper, Missouri Bill toasted the hands like this: "Boys, come and have a drink on me. I've crossed Powder River" They had the drinks, then a few more and were getting pretty sociable. When Missouri Bill again ordered he said to the boys, "Have another drink on me, I've swum Powder River," this time with a distinct emphasis on the words Powder River. "Yes, sir, by God, Powder River," with a little stronger emphasis. When the drinks were all set up he said, "Well, here's to Powder River, Let `er Buck!"

Soon he grew louder and was heard to say, "Powder River is coming upeeyeeep! -- Yes sir, Powder River is rising," and soon after with a yip and a yell, he pulls out his old six-gun and throwed a few shots through the ceiling and yelled, "Powder River is up, come an' have `nother drink." Bang! Bang! "Yeow, I'm a wolf and it's my night to howl. Powder River is out of `er banks. I'm wild and woolly and full o' fleas and never been curried below the knees!"

Bill was loaded for bear, and that is the first time I ever heard the slogan, and from there it went around the world.

The second story on the use of the phrase came about during World War II. This story is courtesy of the book "Thunder in the Appennines: The Story of the 361st Infantry Regiment in Italy" - by Roy Livengood. This is a detailed history of the 361st Regiment of the 91st Division. Drawing from several sources, it tells the story of the hard fighting in the Appennines. Appendix contains a list of veterans of the 361st Association as of 1978. Published by the 361st Association in 1981.

It was at Camp White, in the heart of the Rogue River Valley in Oregon, that the 361st Infantry Regiment of the 91st Infantry Division was reactivated on 15 August, 1942 after 23 years on the inactive rolls of the United States Army. The 361st, as part of the 91st Division, had served its country well during the First World War. It was one of the best units in the A.E.F. During the last months of the war, it had met and defeated the best of the German Army in the Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne and Ypres-Lys campaigns. In the 39 days it was in combat, it was credited with having permanently gained fifteen and one half miles of enemy territory. In a war where little real estate changed hands, this was a major accomplishment. After the armistice, the Regiment patrolled the Franco-Belgian border for a short period. It was here that the division adopted a green fir tree as its insignia and gave itself the battle cry, "Powder River, Let `er Buck!" The fir tree symbolized the Northwestern United States, for the personnel of the division had come from seven western states. By the time the division arrived back home, the battle cry had become official.
Holy f-word. You should be a teacher. LMAO. :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I can't participate I guess since I think PRLEB is horribly stupid to say
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:

Ummm.. Let Er Buck?

About to stop by the bookstore to pick up my last thing for classes and wondering why wyomonarch doesn't know what powder river let 'er buck means.

I mean, seriously? Are you a new freshman student wyomonarch? Because Powder River Let'er Book is an old old cheer. Coming from either WW1 or WW2, an old wyoming military group said it coming out of the trenches. once powder river let 'er buck was yelled, they were good to come out the trenches.
But now the cheer volleys back and fourth. Powder river yelled by one side of the stadium. then Let 'er buck yelled by the other

POWDER RIVER!!!!
Actually I'm a first year graduate student. I would be willing to bet that most incoming freshmen know more about Wyoming athletics and traditions than I do, since I just relocated from the east coast.

Thanks for the info Wyo2Dal, very informative.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoMonarch wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

Ummm.. Let Er Buck?

POWDER RIVER!!!!
Actually I'm a first year graduate student. I would be willing to bet that most incoming freshmen know more about Wyoming athletics and traditions than I do, since I just relocated from the east coast.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like an ass hole when I went on my mini rant lol, sorry about that.
And I seriously doubt that most incoming freshman know jack about our teams.
Where did you do your undergrad?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WyoMonarch
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:
WyoMonarch wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

Ummm.. Let Er Buck?

POWDER RIVER!!!!

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like an ass hole when I went on my mini rant lol, sorry about that.
And I seriously doubt that most incoming freshman know jack about our teams.
Where did you do your undergrad?
It's okay, it's easy to sound/interpret things harshly on a message board. I did my undergrad at Old Dominion in southeast Virginia.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Now that Texas is over the real season for us begins....let's go 9-2 from here on out, if not better!!! GO POKES!!!!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:Now that Texas is over the real season for us begins....let's go 9-2 from here on out, if not better!!! GO POKES!!!!
i'd prefer it if we tried to win all of the games