Invitation to our tailgate/Austin info

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Hey guys, congrats on the 1st win.

We can start a separate thread for game talk, but I wanted to start a thread with info on our tailgate and to answer any question y'all might have about the trip.

We have our tailgate in the parking lot in front of the LBJ Library at Red River Street and Clyde Littlefield Drive. Here is a map...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Austi ... ode=STREET

That entire area is a parking lot, but in order to park there you need parking pass. However, the lot is kind of divided into sections and in the past, the farthest north section (next to 26th street) has been a cash lot, not sure if that's the way it'll be this year. My advice would be just to take a cab, whether you are coming to us, somewhere else, or just to the stadium. Shouldn't be too hard to get a cab unless you wait very close to the game.

We'll be out there by 7am. We are the Come And Take It tailgate (it's a long story, but has to do with Texas history) and you'll be able to spot us by identifying this flag...

Although the top flag will be a burnt orange Longhorn flag instead of the Texas flag, the bottom flag is the Come And Take It flag. We'll also be the biggest tailgate around, probably can hear the stereo, ha. We are back against the building under the trees.

That's the basics of it I guess for now. I'm happy to answer any questions about the tailgate and then any questions on the city/nightlife/hotels/etc. We'll have lots of food, good music, and of course plenty of alcohol so stop by for a beer or two. I will also add, that we are all in our late 20's-early 30s, so we tailgate that way. It's not that bad, but it's definitely not 100% kid friendly, so just be aware of that. Feel free to PM if you want. I'll be here all week. Safe travels everyone.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

And apologies, this isn't really a good time to think about stuff like sports and tailgating at time of tragedy. But I just wanted to go ahead and get it out before people started traveling.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Thanks TexasFight. We won't forget Ruben, but maybe this is what is needed to remember him in a way he would appreciate.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I don't think anybody's taking offense at the invitation, especially after you did post a very respectful post earlier as well.

I would've loved to go down to Austin for the game and hang out and tailgate, but alas, my son's due to be born on Thursday, so it's just not great timing. At least we have big screen TVs in every room in the maternity ward, and my wife loves college football as much as I do ;)
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I don't think anybody's taking offense at the invitation, especially after you did post a very respectful post earlier as well.

I would've loved to go down to Austin for the game and hang out and tailgate, but alas, my son's due to be born on Thursday, so it's just not great timing. At least we have big screen TVs in every room in the maternity ward, and my wife loves college football as much as I do ;)
Well you've got it pretty good then! And congrats btw.

Also, is there somewhere where I can download the Wyoming fight song? We always like to play the songs of our opponents at our tailgate. A lot of people don't understand it, ha.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Nevermind, I forgot about fightmusic.com. Awesome site if you haven't seen it.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

UW Athletics has it on their site as well in .mp3 format.
ImageImageImageImage
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Anybody?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Won't be able to go down, sorry. :(
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I wish i was able to make the road trip to Texas this year. No place I'd rather be than Gameday.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Feel free to give anyone that you know that's making the trip the info.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I will be there in 2 years, unfortunately not this time.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Do you need a passport to go to Texas?
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Adv8RU12 wrote:Do you need a passport to go to Texas?
Some parts, yes. :cool:
TexasFight
Buckaroo

Oh I almost forgot, last year for the game my group posted up at the Library. They let us sample their "apple pie" shots. It was awesome, we went on to probably have 4 or 5 shots each. Even tried to buy a bottle, but they wouldn't do it. Anyway, for the rest of the season we made our own, and tasted almost exactly like it. So maybe it will make y'all feel like home a little? Ha.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Wish I could have made the game and your tailgate but it just wasnt in the cards this year.

Just wanted to say that I have been very impressed with most of the Texas fans that I have met in person and that have stopped by here. Classy group, up there with all the Ole Miss folks I went drinking with while a student in Laramie :winky:
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
CowboyFan
Ranch Hand

TexasFight,

Thanks for the kind and generous invite. Very hospitable of you. We are staying at the Sheraton, downtown which, we're told, is within walking distance of the stadium and the Cowboy Joe Tailgate, at 2:30, close to the stadium. We'd love to stop by and say hello, be nice guests and have a refreshment, or two, :D , talk a little football and hear the history behind your group name/flag! We have friends staying nearby who I think would like to visit with good Texas folk as well. Is the Sheraton close to you folks?

We're meeting some Wyoming friends in Gruene tomorrow night and are getting PUMPED! This should be a great weekend. Rubin is in our hearts and minds and his tragic loss is a great reminder to treasure life, be kind and a good person, as he was, and make new friends, as he did. I can't think of a better team and group of people to be interacting with this weekend than the University of Texas and it's fans.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

southtexas wrote:TexasFight,

Thanks for the kind and generous invite. Very hospitable of you. We are staying at the Sheraton, downtown which, we're told, is within walking distance of the stadium and the Cowboy Joe Tailgate, at 2:30, close to the stadium. We'd love to stop by and say hello, be nice guests and have a refreshment, or two, :D , talk a little football and hear the history behind your group name/flag! We have friends staying nearby who I think would like to visit with good Texas folk as well. Is the Sheraton close to you folks?

We're meeting some Wyoming friends in Gruene tomorrow night and are getting PUMPED! This should be a great weekend. Rubin is in our hearts and minds and his tragic loss is a great reminder to treasure life, be kind and a good person, as he was, and make new friends, as he did. I can't think of a better team and group of people to be interacting with this weekend than the University of Texas and it's fans.
Eh, it's definitely walking distance, if you want to walk. It's probably about a mile and a half to us, maybe a little less. And slightly less to the stadium. Our tailgate is very close to the stadium. It's gonna be fairly warm, and probably a little muggy. I'd have no problem walking it, probably a lot of people doing the same, but If I were you I'd just take a cab and make it easy. But, walking lets you see more of the city. You'll pass the Erwin Center, where we play bball. Once you get in the area of the stadium/tailgate, everything is good walking distance. You can just tell the cab to drop you off at the LBJ Library, and that's where we are. And I don't know where your tailgate is, but I'd suggest walking around campus and just seeing everything. 19th Street (which is MLK) is a good tailgating area. If you want to come to us first, we'll happily tell you the best ways to get to certain places.

We'll have quite a bit of people there by then probably, so just ask for Matt, that's me.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Hey texasfight. I actually just got to austin tonight with the three owners of the library. I think they would like to say hi and try your apple pie shots. I will tell them about the invite and try to stop by....sounds like fun.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

TSpoke wrote:Hey texasfight. I actually just got to austin tonight with the three owners of the library. I think they would like to say hi and try your apple pie shots. I will tell them about the invite and try to stop by....sounds like fun.
Awesome. I hope our concoction is close enough for them!