Opportunity for new DC to take over a program from Craig Bohl,

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Should Wyoming look for the type of guy that we can take over the program when Bohl exits?

I would have to think that we're going to want to promote from within if Craig ever gets offered the Nebraska job.

Vigen will likely be a candidate.

We have a chance to hire a DC that might get to inherit a program built by Craig Bohl if Craig Bohl ever decides to go Bob Devaney on us.

Will the Cowboys pony up the money to get a guy at DC that has the potential to be handed a shiny set of keys from Craig Bohl to the Cowboys football program Craig Bohl built?
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I like to think of myself as a long-term thinker, but this is a bit like trying to ski the 3000' of the whole mountain instead of the three turns in front of you. Succession is incidental, at best, to a good position hire.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

No hire should be made beyond someone who can fix our defensive issues. We will worry about bohls replacement after he's gone and I have a feeling that may be a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
coachweidner
Buckaroo

Just a gut feeling I have about Bohl, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. The only job I could possibly see him taking would be Nebraska. He'll be 59 in July, I know that's not super old, but he's in a place I think he wants to be, not sure that he'd leave just to leave, not looking to move up the ladder so to speak. He just bought a cattle ranch, something he's always wanted to do, so you have to believe that he's committed to Laramie long term--so long as he keeps winning, and there's no indication that he's not going to do that. He needs to hire the best DC that the his budget will allow and leave it at that, if that coach takes over when Bohl leaves or retires so be if not that's fine too.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Nebraska could come after him and will come after him as soon as Riley is done, as long as he has success in Laramie.

Craig idolizes Bob Devaney. I won't be surprised if he follows him.

The point I'm trying to make is the type of hire Burman may be after.

I think he's looking for a potential head coach with this hire as well. He needs to be successful running our defense first, but there's an open opportunity for up and coming coaches to step into a program that will be looking to hire from within.

That means we should be looking at guys that can be successful coordinators and possibly successful head coaches.

I think Bohl will be here until Nebraska hires Riley's replacement. We might get more out of him, but the lure of Nebraska is strong for Bohl.

We should be looking for guys that can come in and be successful coordinators that might be ready to shine as head coaches after a few seasons.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tom is looking to future proof this coaching staff by hiring a very good DC that is ready to take over a program.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Any of u guys have access to hell's half acre, I would be interested to know what names are being mentioned over there?

I really feel we need to get a guy here before signing day... This topic is my main interest right now.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

We just don't know. I remember when the narrative with Chris Petersen was he wouldn't leave until the vaunted Oregon job came open!

Oregon job comes open...he doesn't leave.

...but he does leave for their archrival in Washington!

I don't think Bohl leaves anytime soon, but c'mon...nobody knows what he's thinking. Nebraska isn't the only place in the world he could leave for.

Nebraska job comes open, and he stays!...but then leaves for the Washington State job when Mike Leach decides to start his own fur business instead. We just. don't. know.
Last edited by J-Rod on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It's too bad our economy is in the dumper. I'm all for getting a hot name but we can't afford them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
coachweidner
Buckaroo

So Burman will make the hire of the DC and not Bohl? I thought the AD hired the head coach and then he put his staff together within the restrictions of the budget.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Good coordinators aren't all that expensive. You can get a really good coordinator for 400-500 K a year.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Bohl makes the hire with the undisclosed budget from burman.

I've heard the economy is actually moving quickly in Wyoming upwards. Two weeks ago Gillette only had 100 houses on the market.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

coachweidner wrote:So Burman will make the hire of the DC and not Bohl? I thought the AD hired the head coach and then he put his staff together within the restrictions of the budget.
Burman sets the parameters on the type of money they can spend on it. I'm guessing between the two of them they want a dynamic defensive coordinator that will be successful. I think they agree on the type of guy they're after. Bohl probably has the final say on the guy that joins the staff and is responsible to go out and get him. Tom has the responsibility to set the level of guy we're after.

It's in Wyoming's best interest to get a coach that has potential for greatness, as he may inherit the program in a few seasons.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

not down with the idea of "hire someone that will stay forever" mindset.

Wanting to hire the "next head coach" with this opening shouldn't be even close to the goal. Hire a d coordinator that other teams will want.

Find the defensive version of Lincoln Riley. This staff has a lot of stability. Go get an up and comer. Or just hire a Samoan
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 12 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:Should Wyoming look for the type of guy that we can take over the program when Bohl exits?

I would have to think that we're going to want to promote from within if Craig ever gets offered the Nebraska job.

Vigen will likely be a candidate.

We have a chance to hire a DC that might get to inherit a program built by Craig Bohl if Craig Bohl ever decides to go Bob Devaney on us.

Will the Cowboys pony up the money to get a guy at DC that has the potential to be handed a shiny set of keys from Craig Bohl to the Cowboys football program Craig Bohl built?
Nebraska won't hire Bohl. He left on bad terms. As in not just on the field bad terms. I've heard a few stories from some guys connected to that program and I don't think they'd welcome him back.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:Nebraska could come after him and will come after him as soon as Riley is done, as long as he has success in Laramie.

Craig idolizes Bob Devaney. I won't be surprised if he follows him.

The point I'm trying to make is the type of hire Burman may be after.

I think he's looking for a potential head coach with this hire as well. He needs to be successful running our defense first, but there's an open opportunity for up and coming coaches to step into a program that will be looking to hire from within.

That means we should be looking at guys that can be successful coordinators and possibly successful head coaches.

I think Bohl will be here until Nebraska hires Riley's replacement. We might get more out of him, but the lure of Nebraska is strong for Bohl.

We should be looking for guys that can come in and be successful coordinators that might be ready to shine as head coaches after a few seasons.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tom is looking to future proof this coaching staff by hiring a very good DC that is ready to take over a program.
That's assuming Nebraska wants him, though. I don't think Craig is going anywhere.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 127 times

Bongwater. Don't Drink It.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Well, the pressure is on for Bohl to hire the right guy. Wyoming is one of only two teams listed from the MWC with odds to win the national championship next season. :thumb: (NOTE: Boise media is already whining.):

SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Wyovanian wrote:I like to think of myself as a long-term thinker, but this is a bit like trying to ski the 3000' of the whole mountain instead of the three turns in front of you. Succession is incidental, at best, to a good position hire.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Wyovanian. You can't base your hire on a big line of "what ifs." Just go get the guy you want.