9/3 Opening game thread- NIU @ WYO

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:And this is my 9700th post on here...

Just don't ask about other web forums.
Unfortunately I hear you there all too well.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:I remember when they never had weather delays. They would just play football. This is ridiculous.
Not ridiculous. It has to be done.

Little girl got killed by lightning at Flaming Gorge this summer, athlete at Black Hills last year, it could happen.
You just don't mess around with lightning.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Finally awake. I doubt those of you who actually went to the game will be for a few more hours lol.

This was an awesome game. First time in awhile that Bohl Ball was in effect. The offense was clinical at times. After years of crying wolf, I think Wyoming genuinely has a good QB in Josh Allen. With his gunslinger style, there will be ups and downs...but the ups, as evidenced by last night, are pretty cool. No shocker to anyone...Brian Hill is a stud, need to keep him healthy. The play calling was also fantastic last night.

The defense was excellent from a fundamental stand point. They weren't missing tackles or getting blown off the ball as some feared. Andrew Wingard is a Top 5 MW defender. Only gripe defensively was Stanard not adjusting to that damned jet sweep. Everyone watching could see it coming.

To play true Bohl Ball, they'll need to cut down on the penalties a little. But this is a drastic turnaround from the way last season started. NIU is a decent team. Last time I saw them play, they were being obliterated...but overall they are clearly better than the FCS opponents Wyoming has opened up with in recent years....and Wyoming f-word won! And impressed doing so.

Injuries and consistency separate the winners from the losers. Wyoming obviously hasn't proven they're consistent yet, and injuries are all about luck. I say that only to illustrate that while that win was awesome, I'm not penciling in 8-4 just yet. That said, make no mistake about it...things are looking up. After that win, Wyoming SHOULD exit September 3-1.

I watched nearly every MW team play this weekend. Based on what I saw, "down" means that team looks worse than last year... "-----" means no change...."Up" means they've gotten better.

@Colorado State - Down down down down
Air Force - Down (this new chop block rule will not be kind to them)
@Nevada - Down
Boise State - Up
Utah State -----
@UNLV - Up
San Diego State -----
@New Mexico -----

There is a real possibility for anything from 6-6 to 8-4. Consistency and health is the goal. Awesome win, enjoy the f-word out of it...we know how quickly things can go sour. Project start 3-1 starts at 1-0.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

hutchenc wrote:That was big win for Cowboy football. I was in the old West President's box (west side box seats) with all the folks from the Wyoming Ag Experiment Station (125 Anniversary). For those of you who think or read that all faculty hate athletics...don't believe it! This group (of mostly faculty and their spouses and kids) were all in and they're vocal...these folks love this university and they cheer for its teams, no matter the sport! Old-timers who've worked for UW since the 1940's (not exaggerating) up to the present were all rooting for them.

Awesome win for UW!
These are the people we need to stand up to the vocal anti-athletics faculty. They need to push back against the various "studies" groups that want to gut the program and steal the funding for themselves.

On a game related note, that WR Golladay is the real deal. Guy will be playing on Sundays. Haven't seen the pokes play a game like this is forever. This is a FOOTBALL team.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Hard to not like everything you saw last night with the team. Looks like we've rode the storm out. I think all Wyo fans have wanted is to see a team that is competitive with fire in the belly. The D was downright impressive compared to last year. It looks like they don't appreciate being poop on by just about everyone in every facet. That's a damn good thing! The O looks like they could progress and click more if they can stay healthy. The blackshirts are gonna be bringing it next week so it should be a great test on the road for them. It's gonna be fun (well it could be painful) to watch the Poke's D try to stop Nebraska's rushing game. What Brown N Gold fan doesn't get UP for a Nebraska game?????

Maybe the biggest highlight for me is our freshmen kicker. The Pokes are unbearable to watch for me when they can't even think about attempting 35 yard field goals or extra points (poop has been embarrassingly bad at times). That kicker had ups and downs, but everyone needs to get behind him. He can kick it out of the back of the end zone in Laramie :shock: :orly:

Shoutout to the coaching as well. The play calling was much better. You can tell the staff has improved the players and instilled some inner faith in the squad. Remember the fire Bohl talk?? Let's hope he ice buckets that talk some more with some W's so he can be like "hey you guys still there" :poke:
"oh that's right" :finger: :dance:

Go Pokes :thumb:
Riding High!!!
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

I was not at the game. Looking at the video of the winning play it looked like the defenders were in slow motion due to fatigue. Was this the case, if so when during the game did 7220 become a factor?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

WOW what time did that game end in Laramie finally, I had a friend call me and run me thru the 3rd and most of the 4th and up 27-20 with 5:00 left I told him to call me if it changed, he didn't and came in and read all about the stats, WOWZA, OT eh.....at least we got er done, damn weather delays and all I betcha that game got over around 2:30AM or so, whew...GOOD WIN POKES
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

CodyPoke wrote:I was not at the game. Looking at the video of the winning play it looked like the defenders were in slow motion due to fatigue. Was this the case, if so when during the game did 7220 become a factor?
During the second half, it was clear that the defenders were pretty gassed. Some even left the field for awhile due to cramps and what not. The commentators even made special note of that.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I think this was a good win for the football team to start out on a positive note. I don't think NIU is quite as good this year as they have been in years past but Wyoming does look a lot better than they have.

Think the future looks bright as far as younger players who have a lot of upside in the program for the next few years.

Not going to pencil us in for a bowl game by any means just yet. Nebraska will be a lot tougher test next weekend than this game was and UC -Davis gave Oregon all they wanted for 3 qr's. E. Michigan is on the road so no gimmie's but think we have a chance to be 3-1 out of conference. Need to stay focused on one game at a time.

Feels great to start out with a win over an FBS team though as opposed to a loss or a win over some mid level FCS team.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Great start. I'm hoping the Pokes can come out of the Husker game unscathed. Anything beyond that is bonus imho.

Look forward to the UC Davis and sheep games.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Kudos to the players and coaches last night. I thought they showed a lot of poise when we got down 13-3. The offense scored and the defense made a stop at a critical time.

I had seen Josh Allen in his brief stint last year. I'm blown away at how fast he is! He juked a few db's and looks very comfortable running the ball. Dare I say he has Brett Smith type speed?

Nice to see Wick have some good runs. The d-line looks much improved. Happy for the kids after a few rough years. If nothing else, we look like we can be competitive on a regular basis.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote: Only gripe defensively was Stanard not adjusting to that damned jet sweep. Everyone watching could see it coming.
Mike Riley loves running that play.
We better be ready for it, or else that will cost us next week.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

Hey, It's the Beav!!!! He lives!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

It's good seeing Beav back around this board!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:Hey, It's the Beav!!!! He lives!!!!!
:thumb:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Nah, he's a vampire. So, not technically alive and has a thing for a Mary Sue girl that he happens to be in the same class as.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
Nah, he's a vampire. So, not technically alive and has a thing for a Mary Sue girl that he happens to be in the same class as.
Lol...what?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Lol...what?
Beav=