• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

President Reeves - Time to Fire Tom Burman

For the sake of big time donors (including alumni).
President Reeves,
Please fire Buman immediately. Show the alumni and fanbase that the current status of the athletic department is unacceptable and will not be tolerated moving forward. Get rid of Burman and organize a national search for a qualified AD. An AD that can hire an innovative football coach that can compete for MWC championships. Enough is enough.
 
At one had, I felt a little sorry for Burman and Sawvel. But now, it is so obvious that they are hanging on (especially Sawvel) because they have contracts in place. They care more about money than delivering a quality product to UW. Or pride. On some levels, I understand it but I could not do it. So, any sympathy has turned to frustration and some anger. Sawvel must know without a iron clad contract...he'd be long gone. Two thoughts:
1) I think UW moves on even if either remains in place. Start the recruiting process right in front of the guys. Ask Burman to move his office to ready for the new AD. Let these guys know that its over but for the calendar rolling. Sawvel will never coach again...start the interview and ask him to participate.
2) While this is a little immature, I wish someone could have a shitty, plastic grade school trophy made to hand to Tom Burman as he leaves. Name it "The Jay Sawvel Excellence Award".
 
Last edited:
At one had, I felt a little sorry for Burman and Sawvel. But now, it is so obvious that they are hanging on (especially Sawvel) because they have contracts in place. They care more about money than delivering a quality product to UW. Or pride. On some levels, I understand it but I could not do it. So, any sympathy has turned to frustration and some anger. Sawvel must know without a iron clad contract...he'd be long gone. Two thoughts:
1) I think UW moves on even if either remains in place. Start the recruiting process right in front of the guys. Ask Burman to move his office to ready for the new AD. Let these guys know that its over but for the calendar rolling. Sawvel will never coach again...start the interview and ask him to participate.
2) While this is a little immature, I wish someone could have a shitty, plastic grade school trophy made to hand to Tom Burman as he leaves. Name it "The Jay Sawvel Excellence Award".
I think I found my new fantasy football trophy!!!
BuyGame Tickets
 
At one had, I felt a little sorry for Burman and Sawvel. But now, it is so obvious that they are hanging on (especially Sawvel) because they have contracts in place. They care more about money than delivering a quality product to UW. Or pride. On some levels, I understand it but I could not do it. So, any sympathy has turned to frustration and some anger. Sawvel must know without a iron clad contract...he'd be long gone. Two thoughts:
1) I think UW moves on even if either remains in place. Start the recruiting process right in front of the guys. Ask Burman to move his office to ready for the new AD. Let these guys know that its over but for the calendar rolling. Sawvel will never coach again...start the interview and ask him to participate.
2) While this is a little immature, I wish someone could have a shitty, plastic grade school trophy made to hand to Tom Burman as he leaves. Name it "The Jay Sawvel Excellence Award".
I just don't have any sympathy for either of them. None at all. They are each being paid outrageous sums of money and not producing anything. If they are tired of the negativity then should go to the BOT and Reeves and negotiate some sort of buyouts. I like the ideas above. I would like it better if Burman were given a broom and a mop and told to clean the restrooms during the games and told he was now a janitor. Thats nothing against the janitorial staff at UW. But he would be more productive in that roll than what he has done as AD
The secret contract extension. This Sawvel contract. The downward trajectory of the program. He deserves to be humiliated because of this disaster.
 
Last edited:
I assume some of the stuff being said about Burman and Sawvel is in jest.

Look, they have both failed miserably at their jobs. I think we can all agree on that. That should result in them being let go from their positions as soon as possible - no argument there. But that’s where it should end.

Despite their failures, I appreciate their efforts. I’ve spoken with Tom Burman on several occasions and he has always been friendly and stopped to talk even if he didn’t necessarily have the time. I have never sent an email to him that he did not respond to. I have not had many personal interactions with Sawvel, but from everything I hear, he is a good guy. They are both in over their heads and need to go, but I have no real ill will towards either of them.

I had the chance to chat with Steve McClain a few years ago and something he said has always stuck with me. When he came back as part of the Colorado staff the year after he was fired from Wyoming, there were a few Wyoming students/fans that showed up at their hotel and yelled some pretty nasty stuff at him as the team entered the hotel. He said that bothered him for years and that he was genuinely hurt by that. Thin skin? Maybe, but I decided then that holding any long-term ill will towards failed coaches/admins just wasn’t worth it.
 
Fans need to act appropriately in cases like this. Neither one of them will lose their jobs for personal reasons. Both are most likely genuinely nice guys, they just aren’t cutting it right now. It’s not personal, it’s business. I’d wish them both the best and hope like hell we can find the right people to get us back to respectability.
 
I assume some of the stuff being said about Burman and Sawvel is in jest.

Look, they have both failed miserably at their jobs. I think we can all agree on that. That should result in them being let go from their positions as soon as possible - no argument there. But that’s where it should end.

Despite their failures, I appreciate their efforts. I’ve spoken with Tom Burman on several occasions and he has always been friendly and stopped to talk even if he didn’t necessarily have the time. I have never sent an email to him that he did not respond to. I have not had many personal interactions with Sawvel, but from everything I hear, he is a good guy. They are both in over their heads and need to go, but I have no real ill will towards either of them.

I had the chance to chat with Steve McClain a few years ago and something he said has always stuck with me. When he came back as part of the Colorado staff the year after he was fired from Wyoming, there were a few Wyoming students/fans that showed up at their hotel and yelled some pretty nasty stuff at him as the team entered the hotel. He said that bothered him for years and that he was genuinely hurt by that. Thin skin? Maybe, but I decided then that holding any long-term ill will towards failed coaches/admins just wasn’t worth it.
Sawvel is a solid guy why the players playing like dogshit is more frustrating
 
Fans need to act appropriately in cases like this. Neither one of them will lose their jobs for personal reasons. Both are most likely genuinely nice guys, they just aren’t cutting it right now. It’s not personal, it’s business. I’d wish them both the best and hope like hell we can find the right people to get us back to respectability.
Agree. I think this sums it up:

PowerOther2b_330.jpg
 
I assume some of the stuff being said about Burman and Sawvel is in jest.

Look, they have both failed miserably at their jobs. I think we can all agree on that. That should result in them being let go from their positions as soon as possible - no argument there. But that’s where it should end.

Despite their failures, I appreciate their efforts. I’ve spoken with Tom Burman on several occasions and he has always been friendly and stopped to talk even if he didn’t necessarily have the time. I have never sent an email to him that he did not respond to. I have not had many personal interactions with Sawvel, but from everything I hear, he is a good guy. They are both in over their heads and need to go, but I have no real ill will towards either of them.

I had the chance to chat with Steve McClain a few years ago and something he said has always stuck with me. When he came back as part of the Colorado staff the year after he was fired from Wyoming, there were a few Wyoming students/fans that showed up at their hotel and yelled some pretty nasty stuff at him as the team entered the hotel. He said that bothered him for years and that he was genuinely hurt by that. Thin skin? Maybe, but I decided then that holding any long-term ill will towards failed coaches/admins just wasn’t worth it.
No ill will towards saevwlel at all, but it seems like Burman is on a personal mission to ruin Wyoming athletics forever and salt the earth on his way out. I’d prefer he quit 15 years ago and move across country. I think Burman is straight up corrupt and should be investigated for his sawvel contract
 
I just don't have any sympathy for either of them. None at all. They are each being paid outrageous sums of money and not producing anything. If they are tired of the negativity then should go to the BOT and Reeves and negotiate some sort of buyouts. I like the ideas above. I would like it better if Burman were given a broom and a mop and told to clean the restrooms during the games and told he was now a janitor. Thats nothing against the janitorial staff at UW. But he would be more productive in that roll than what he has done as AD
The secret contract extension. This Sawvel contract. The downward trajectory of the program. He deserves to be humiliated because of this disaster.

Agree, other than I am not sure Burman would know how to mop, do it right, and put the work in to actually do it. He does less with less than any human I have ever know to cross Prexy's.
 
Back
Top