Slow time reading

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

This is snippet from the Powell Tribune on the Smith and firing DC.

http://www.powelltribune.com/sports/ite ... recruiting
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

Not really a great article IMO. If you have talent and play D1 football, NFL scouts will find it. I don't think Christensen's offense really makes Brett a great quarterback at all, rather Brett's skillset does.

Also, how can the article just disregard Thompson when discussing the QB after Smith? Thompson clearly has talent and potential.
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

Brett Smith may not be happy by the move, but where the heck else will he go? He only has 1 year of eligibility left, it's not like he'll be able to transfer and lead a whole new program to different heights. I also disagree with the part that Christensen's coaching allowed Smith to put up great numbers. I remember watching too many games when we stuck with the same stinking run play over and over and over again, or very short passes in the flats or 3-4 yard routes where it appeared, at least to me, that Christensen's coaching was actually hiding Smith's abilities and made him a non-factor in games. But I honestly think that if Brett was frustrated last year, it was probably because of all the losing, poor pass protection, and a defense so terrible that he had to play with the pressure of scoring a TD on every single possession if we were to have a chance of winning.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

wyoav211933 wrote:Brett Smith may not be happy by the move, but where the heck else will he go? He only has 1 year of eligibility left, it's not like he'll be able to transfer and lead a whole new program to different heights.
There are plenty of programs willing to take on a starting QB for one year. Nebraska is looking for a QB....
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

wyoav211933 wrote:Brett Smith may not be happy by the move, but where the heck else will he go? He only has 1 year of eligibility left, it's not like he'll be able to transfer and lead a whole new program to different heights.
Maybe you have heard of a guy named Russell Wilson? He did just that transferred with one year remaining and if Brett graduates in the summer he can transfer and play right away without having to sit out a year.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Not a real interesting article in my opinion. Brett has already got the attention of the NFL. Whether they like it or not is another thing, but he definitely has their attention. He has good numbers in HS and college, so they know he's capable. What he needs to do as a senior (at Wyoming or wherever!) is play strong and show improvement when he gets the chances. The NFL knows what they're looking for and at. As far as DC leaving hurting Wyoming in the near or medium term, how does the writer figure? With DC here, next year could be a 2 win season, so the near was already doomed. He has no recruits coming in yet and never has a plan, so the medium was screwed also. Whoever we end up hiring might not be the answer, but then again, he might be. DC was not. Near, medium or long term.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I think regardless who the coach is they are familiar with Smith, They know what he is capable of and they hope he is here to lead the team. I think Smith has already gotten the majority of NFL attention he is going to get unless he just does some incredible poop next year which he could.

He will still have a spot on an NFL roster, Starting in 2-3 years we will see him on Sunday and I'll cheer him on just like he was here.