Brett Smith > Taylor Martinez

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Period
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

mrtnt3x wrote:Period
Hands down. Give Smith that Nebraska O-Line, he is a Heisman finalist.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Yeah not even close.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Not even remotely close.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Some stats:

Brett Smith
38 attempts, 26 completions. 350yds passing. 4 TDs 1 int. 68.4% completion rate. QB rating-175.2.

Taylor Martinez
22 attempts, 17 completions. 155 yds passing. 3 TDs 1 int. 77.3% completion rate. QB rating-172.4.

Passing, Smith more than doubled the yards that Martinez had with an extra TD. Now rushing.

Brett Smith-
7 rushes-80yds=11.4 yards a pop.

Taylor Martinez
15 carries-76yds=5.1 yards a pop.

Although total yards rushing, Smith was only slightly higher, he did it in about half as many carries.
Last edited by fromolwyoming on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Although I'm proud to the point of tears at how our guys battled and dug down deep to make this one of the best games I've ever seen, I gotta give TM some props. I was super critical all week and he proved me wrong. The dude can play and is a vastly underrated passer. He should be fun for the husker fans to watch one last season. That being said, I think we can squash the issue of BS V. TM. Brett outplayed him in every aspect and had the seventh best performance in NU history. That's legit.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Some stats:

Brett Smith
38 attempts, 26 completions. 350yds passing. 4 TDs 1 int. 68.4% completion rate. QB rating-175.2.

Taylor Martinez
22 attempts, 22 completions. 155 yds passing. 3 TDs 1 int. 77.3% completion rate. QB rating-172.4.

Passing, Smith more than doubled the yards that Martinez had with an extra TD. Now rushing.

Brett Smith-
7 rushes-80yds=11.4 yards a pop.

Taylor Martinez
15 carries-76yds=5.1 yards a pop.

Although total yards rushing, Smith was only slightly higher, he did it in about half as many carries.
Martinez also fumbled once.
Hogboy13
Buckaroo

I am pleasantly surprised by Wyoming performance, you guys played well and deserve credit. But I don't think many people know why we were just running the ball the entire 4th quarter, Taylor hurt his shoulder/arm on an option to the right in the late 3rd quarter. I think if we weren't ultra conservative we win by 2 scores instead by 3 points. Taylor's interception was on a blown route by our freshman receiver, he was running a completely different route. Brett smith is a very good QB and deserves some credit, frankly I was surprised he was only sacked once, he has very good scrambling/elusiveness skills. All in all should have been around 52-34 with normal play calling and a healthy Taylor arm. Good luck rest of the year, you better win the MWC :)
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Hogboy13 wrote:I am pleasantly surprised by Wyoming performance, you guys played well and deserve credit. But I don't think many people know why we were just running the ball the entire 4th quarter, Taylor hurt his shoulder/arm on an option to the right in the late 3rd quarter. I think if we weren't ultra conservative we win by 2 scores instead by 3 points. Taylor's interception was on a blown route by our freshman receiver, he was running a completely different route. Brett smith is a very good QB and deserves some credit, frankly I was surprised he was only sacked once, he has very good scrambling/elusiveness skills. All in all should have been around 52-34 with normal play calling and a healthy Taylor arm. Good luck rest of the year, you better win the MWC :)
Well it only took 26 minutes for the excuses to start flowing on why NU didn't annihilate us.... Nice
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Hogboy13 wrote:I am pleasantly surprised by Wyoming performance, you guys played well and deserve credit. But I don't think many people know why we were just running the ball the entire 4th quarter, Taylor hurt his shoulder/arm on an option to the right in the late 3rd quarter. I think if we weren't ultra conservative we win by 2 scores instead by 3 points. Taylor's interception was on a blown route by our freshman receiver, he was running a completely different route. Brett smith is a very good QB and deserves some credit, frankly I was surprised he was only sacked once, he has very good scrambling/elusiveness skills. All in all should have been around 52-34 with normal play calling and a healthy Taylor arm. Good luck rest of the year, you better win the MWC :)
Nope...you can't play the shoulda game here. Smith took hits too (second quarter before half) and still out performed. The score is where it should be. You can't say say "well this and well that and we should have blown you out of the water." poop. You still won, but were out played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hogboy13
Buckaroo

kdwrightuwyo wrote:
Nope...you can't play the shoulda game here. Smith took hits too (second quarter before half) and still out performed. The score is where it should be. You can't say say "well this and well that and we should have blown you out of the water." poop. You still won, but were out played.

I think you missed the whole part where I said you guys were good, smith was better, and Taylor's arm was hurt. You can't judge his performance when he threw 5 times in the second half. I am not understanding the aggressiveness by your post when I complimented your team.

We weren't out played, we were just gave up on calling feesible plays in the 4th quarter we should have went for the kill instead of lollygaging.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Hogboy13 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

I think you missed the whole part where I said you guys were good, smith was better, and Taylor's arm was hurt. You can't judge his performance when he threw 5 times in the second half. I am not understanding the aggressiveness by your post when I complimented your team.

We weren't out played, we were just gave up on calling feesible plays in the 4th quarter we should have went for the kill instead of lollygaging.
Too much testosterone don't mind them, Wyoming was the better team on the field Nebraska was the better team on the scoreboard. It only ends like that because of officiating you can't really deny Nebraska was given this win.

That being said you have been one of the only opponent posters I respect. GL the rest of the year and in conference play.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Hogboy's head is full of corn.
nebsker
Buckaroo

Brett Smith was definitely the better quarterback tonight. Taylor didn't have a bad game, but Smith was incredible. The kid had ice-water running through his veins. I can only remember two bad passes (the pick and when he overthrew the WR running a deep post). We had some coverage breakdowns, but it was mostly Smith throwing perfect balls and the receivers making the catch.

If I wasn't emotionally invested in one of the teams, this would have been a great game to watch. Kind of had the feel of the KSU-NDSU game on Friday, where the favorite pulls away in the third quarter only to be caught in the end.
Hogboy13
Buckaroo

I think I will say one final thing about this Smith-Martinez, Smith has excellent accuracy, arm strength, QB smarts, and EXCEPTIONAL elusiveness/time buying skills ( I was very impressed ). He has a bright future ahead of him and wish him the best.

But I would still take Taylor for a couple of reasons. Taylor is a perfect fit for our offenseand has great intangibles I don't really think he displayed that very well tonight due to the down hill running but b gets it down with his feet in the games that mattered for us in B1G play. The main thing for me is he has some of the best physical and mental toughness by any individual to play football. Taylor basically played on 1 ankle his 2nd half of his freshman year and sophomore year, hence his retarded throwing motion in 2011. He could not throw the way he wanted because of compensating for the pain in his ankle. He was asked to start as NU's QB his Freshman year in a major program, this is a tremmendous task no matter what program you are, the spotlight was on him and was scrutinized big time. He really learned to develop very good mental toughness and has some moxie and swag to him ( sorry for swag reference :D) . One game that really changed my opinion to this day about Taylor is @MSU 2012, if you looked at that box score that was an atrocious game by Taylor. He threw like 3 picks and was 16/36 but ran for like 200 yards (?) and 2 touchdowns (?). That game Taylor presented some of the best mental performances I have ever seen by a QB to recent day after 3 picks he wasn't phased on the road and marched NU to victory from a 14 pt deficit in the 4th.

I think Brett might have a better motion, accuracy, arm strength etc. and will most likely play in the NFL but I don't think people know what Taylor has gone threw and don't give him credit for the intangibles and mental toughness this guy presents he literally is a gamer and never gives up.
Last edited by Hogboy13 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

Martinez looks good at times, but its obvious that smith is a more talented QB in the traditional sense. Martinez gets to watch his team pound it on the ground and then throw when they needed it. I actually thought his WRs were great and made him look a lot better. He made great throws with even better catches that most guys wouldn't catch. Most of b smiths incompletions were throw always
W-Y, Until I Die!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Hogboy13 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

The "aggressiveness" is there because you say good job with one side of your mouth, then give excuses and say you coulda/shoulda put up more points on us. You wouldn't/couldn't or else you would have. The game was as close as it was because very talented young men on both sides of the ball showed up to play...and Wyoming played harder, had more heart, and a much better qb!

Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Hogboy13 wrote:I think I will say one final thing about this Smith-Martinez, Smith has excellent accuracy, arm strength, QB smarts, and EXCEPTIONAL elusiveness/time buying skills ( I was very impressed ). He has a bright future ahead of him and wish him the best.

But I would still take Taylor for a couple of reasons. Taylor is a perfect fit for our offenseand has great intangibles I don't really think he displayed that very well tonight due to the down hill running but b gets it down with his feet in the games that mattered for us in B1G play. The main thing for me is he has some of the best physical and mental toughness by any individual to play football. Taylor basically played on 1 ankle his 2nd half of his freshman year and sophomore year, hence his retarded throwing motion in 2011. He could not throw the way he wanted because of compensating for the pain in his ankle. He was asked to start as NU's QB his Freshman year in a major program, this is a tremmendous task no matter what program you are, the spotlight was on him and was scrutinized big time. He really learned to develop very good mental toughness and has some moxie and swag to him ( sorry for swag reference :D) . One game that really changed my opinion to this day about Taylor is @MSU 2012, if you looked at that box score that was an atrocious game by Taylor. He threw like 3 picks and was 16/36 but ran for like 200 yards (?) and 2 touchdowns (?). That game Taylor presented some of the best mental performances I have ever seen by a QB to recent day after 3 picks he wasn't phased on the road and marched NU to victory from a 14 pt deficit in the 4th.

I think Brett might have a better motion, accuracy, arm strength etc. and will most likely play in the NFL but I don't think people know what Taylor has gone threw and don't give him credit for the intangibles and mental toughness this guy presents he literally is a gamer and never gives up.
Smith played basically his entire true freshman year (barring the 1st 2 games) with virtually no thumb on his throwing hand.. hence HIS messed up throwing motion. He had a clogged artery that blocked blood flow to his thumb. It was a purple color, and was numb and painful for the entire year, that's why he had to wear gloves. He couldn't even grip the damn ball.. I wouldn't expect you to know that considering you don't follow our team, but you can't compare ANYONE's mental toughness with B Smith. He's second to none when it comes to mental toughness/heart/grit. I stand behind that statement. He won 8 games with virtually 4 fingers on his throwing hand. He is more important to his team than T Mart. I stand behind that statement firmly as well. Go Pokes. Good luck the rest of the year.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

https://twitter.com/bsmithwyo16/status/ ... 3320045568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have something special in Smith. He has matured as a player unbelievably since last year.

Although I find it admirable for some cornfans to come offer congrats, those who are still logging on to make your case for TM, go away. I have dozens of cornfan friends and without equivocation, they are telling me that they would trade for smith, no question. So....for those Neb fans that are clinging on....let it go. You're on a Wyoming forum following a game when a Wyoming put up one of the best performances on YOUR field.

Good luck the rest of the year and be ok with TM someday working on Sundays....at a T Mobile kiosk in Omaha.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

http://m.trib.com/sports/college/wyomin ... touch=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;