Scrimmage

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Who is going? Starts in about an hour.

I'll be there.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I would love to be there but 12 hours round trip is worth it for the big games but not so worth it for scrimmage :) but I expect a full report.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I am not very impressed so far.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:I am not very impressed so far.
Explanation please.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Some of the tweets sound encouraging. Both offenses get first downs. What is there not to be impressed about? What is lacking, in your opinion?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Why?
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I don't think Brett looks very good at all. I personally think Thompson looks stronger. It's hard to tell a whole lot from the scrimmage. Nobody is going full speed and the defense the offense is seeing is nowhere near what they will see in Lincoln. I think things have gone better as the scrimmage has gone on this morning but I'm not sure we will be good enough to really compete with the top of the conference.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

How is he not looking very good? Is he missing passes? Making bad decisions?
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

one-smooth-poke wrote:How is he not looking very good? Is he missing passes? Making bad decisions?
He's not on point like I have expected. He's fumbled the ball and thrown interceptions. Maybe my expectations for him were too high coming into today.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

The one thing that is consistant with the tweets at pratice is the D isnt performing.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Darden is dishing it out right now.

Sounds like the defense has really improved. /sarcasm
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Darden is dishing it out right now.

Sounds like the defense has really improved. /sarcasm
I thought you lost your mind for a split second :rofl:
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Some of my observations:
That pick 6 Smith threw showed his lack of arm strength. Overall he had an ok day.

Thompson looks like he has improved his passing skills quite a bit since last year. He still has a long way to go but he was respectable as a passer.

The 2 minute drill was horrible, way too many short passes that didn't get first downs. The back up offensive lines were horrible in pass protection. The first offensive line wasn't too bad in pass protection.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Psh Smith is fine. He got off to a rough start with a fumble and a pick.
But after that he turned it on. Throwing balls all over the field and throwing TD passes.
Thompson has a stronger arm yeah but that should come as no surprise, pretty sure he has always had a stronger arm. Thompson looked real good today, but he was going against the #2 defense.
Both QBs looked good at the end of the day, but there is no question that Smith is still the man. Still the better QB.
Wick looked impressive at times. Busting some good runs and being a bruiser, running into the defense instead of trying to run away from them.

The defense looked worn out and embarrassed as the scrimmage went on. It seemed like Smith and Thompson would take turns coming in and throwing TD passes on the D.

I don't expect the D to be that bad in real games, you could tell they were kind of going half speed at times.
Plus there won't be any offenses the Pokes face outside of maybe Nebraska that play as quickly as the Pokes offense.

I expect the D to play better in the next scrimmage, but Smith, Thompson, and the WRs dominated the day. Especially the CU transfer. He is a big target and made a lot of catches, including a 1-handed catch down field for a big gain.

Overall, it is what we all expected, the passing game was on fire, the running game was okay, not good, but not awful, and the defense got worked.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:Some of my observations:
That pick 6 Smith threw showed his lack of arm strength. Overall he had an ok day.

Thompson looks like he has improved his passing skills quite a bit since last year. He still has a long way to go but he was respectable as a passer.

The 2 minute drill was horrible, way too many short passes that didn't get first downs. The back up offensive lines were horrible in pass protection. The first offensive line wasn't too bad in pass protection.
His pick 6 was early, and before he got into a groove, I don't think it was lack of arm strength. Remember, those corners almost all know what play is coming, and he knew it and jumped the route.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Oh and the kicking game was kind of a surprise. Someone made a 55 yard field goal. And a couple kickers booted the ball 5 yards deep into the endzone.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Oh, and I don't know if this was reported, but I saw a Bears scout at the scrimmage, and a few days ago there was a Ravens, and Texans scout at practice.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vorel just tweeted.....
B-Smith: 21/27 248 yards 5 TD/1 INT
Thompson: 18/22 281 yards 3TD/0 INT

6 receivers got TDs. Rufran&Claiborne (2), then Montgomery, Brown, Darden, Herron (1)

And running the ball...
Nevermann 12 carries, 62 yards, 2 TDs.
Tapscott 9 carries, 49 yards 1 TD.
Wick 5 carries, 60 yards.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The defense got scorched. Not a good thing....defenses are typically ahead of offenses in fall camp. Smith and Thompson were great, but I don't think we'll see a big improvement on defense this fall. Probably about the same as last year.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

J-Rod wrote:The defense got scorched. Not a good thing....defenses are typically ahead of offenses in fall camp. Smith and Thompson were great, but I don't think we'll see a big improvement on defense this fall. Probably about the same as last year.
Defenses are usually ahead when new system isn't being installed. 2nd straight year of new defense
W-Y, Until I Die!